[postgis] compilation error

Ross.Searle
Hi,

I am trying to compile postgis on a Solaris 6 box using GCC and GNU make. I
keep getting the following error and as I don't know make speak I was
wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

gcc  -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -fPIC -g  -I.
-I../../src/include  -DFRONTEND -DSYSCONFDIR='"/usr/local/pgsql/etc"'  -c -o
postgis_proj.o postgis_proj.c
ar crs libpostgis.a postgis_debug.o postgis_ops.o postgis_fn.o
postgis_inout.o postgis_proj.o
gmake: ar: Command not found
gmake: *** [libpostgis.a] Error 127

Thanks
Ross

and/or publication of this e-mail message is prohibited.

computer system network.

Re: [postgis] compilation error

Frank Warmerdam
[hidden email] wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to compile postgis on a Solaris 6 box using GCC and GNU make. I
>keep getting the following error and as I don't know make speak I was
>wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
>
>gcc  -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -fPIC -g  -I.
>-I../../src/include  -DFRONTEND -DSYSCONFDIR='"/usr/local/pgsql/etc"'  -c -o
>postgis_proj.o postgis_proj.c
>ar crs libpostgis.a postgis_debug.o postgis_ops.o postgis_fn.o
>postgis_inout.o postgis_proj.o
>gmake: ar: Command not found
>gmake: *** [libpostgis.a] Error 127

Ross,

Try adding /usr/ccs/bin to your path.  The ar command often lives there
on Solaris.
If that doesn't work, look for ar on your system.  In a pinch the
following should
find it though it might take a while.

find / -name ar -print

Re: [postgis] compilation error

Paul Ramsey-2
Welcome to Solaris :) for some reason the compilation tools are hidden
away outside of normal paths.
Do this command (if you are using csh):

set path = ( $path /usr/ccs/bin )

and then try again.