postgis Ubuntu

Jon Saints
I installed postgis on Ubuntu using the debian GIS
repository. I am not sure that this is possible, but I
thought that i would give it a try. Although postgis
installed without warnings, I now have trouble when I
try to spatialy enable a database.

The command:
psql -d indon -f
/usr/share/postgresql/contrib/lwpostgis.sql

yeilds:
psql:/usr/share/postgresql/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:36:
ERROR:  could not load library
"/usr/lib/postgresql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.0":
/usr/lib/postgresql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.0: undefined
symbol: _ZN4geos11Polygonizer11getPolygonsEv

Any ideas?
thanks
Jon

Re: postgis Ubuntu

Jean-Denis Giguere
Jon Saints wrote:

> I installed postgis on Ubuntu using the debian GIS
> repository. I am not sure that this is possible, but I
> thought that i would give it a try. Although postgis
> installed without warnings, I now have trouble when I
> try to spatialy enable a database.
>
> The command:
> psql -d indon -f
> /usr/share/postgresql/contrib/lwpostgis.sql
>

> yeilds:
> psql:/usr/share/postgresql/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:36:
> ERROR:  could not load library
> "/usr/lib/postgresql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.0":
> /usr/lib/postgresql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.0: undefined
> symbol: _ZN4geos11Polygonizer11getPolygonsEv
>
> Any ideas?
You need to install libgeos2.

Regards,

Jean-Denis

> thanks
> Jon

Re: postgis Ubuntu

Paul Scott
On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 20:51 -0700, Jon Saints wrote:
> I installed postgis on Ubuntu using the debian GIS
> repository.

Jon,

Where is the Debian GIS Repository? I searched the entire weekend for
it!

I am busy trying to put together a GIS-for-schools package using Ubuntu,
postgis, mapserver, Grass and qgis.

<[OT]>
At the moment schools in South Africa are wanting to start a GIS
programme, and I want to put forward these apps as a demo.

On a similar note, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can
use?
</[OT]>

--Paul

Re: postgis Ubuntu

Pericles S. Nacionales-2
Paul, Jon,

I've put together a tarball for Ubuntu (4.10) that's sort of similar to MS4W
from DM Solutions Group.  This was done as a test for the upcoming open
source geospatial conference here in Minneapolis in June.  As it turned out
we won't be using Ubuntu but I already have this package so might as well use
it.  It can be downloaded from
http://hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/~pnaciona/osgis_ubuntu.tar.gz.  The README is also
available: http://hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/~pnaciona/osgis_README.

Cheers!
-Perry

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 01:14 am, Paul Scott wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 20:51 -0700, Jon Saints wrote:
> > I installed postgis on Ubuntu using the debian GIS
> > repository.
>
> Jon,
>
> Where is the Debian GIS Repository? I searched the entire weekend for
> it!
>
> I am busy trying to put together a GIS-for-schools package using Ubuntu,
> postgis, mapserver, Grass and qgis.
>
> <[OT]>
> At the moment schools in South Africa are wanting to start a GIS
> programme, and I want to put forward these apps as a demo.
>
> On a similar note, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can
> use?
> </[OT]>
>
> --Paul

Pericles S. Nacionales

Dept. of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior
University of Minnesota
work: 612 624 6713
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: postgis Ubuntu

Pericles S. Nacionales-2

I meant to add that this tarball isn't meant for production environment but it
should be perfect for classroom environment.  The tarball is pretty big
(~125Mb) so you might have a log wait.  The md5 signature is at
hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/~pnaciona/osgis_ubuntu.tar.gz.md5.

Let me know if you want the source as well.

-Perry

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 01:01 am, Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:

> Paul, Jon,
>
> I've put together a tarball for Ubuntu (4.10) that's sort of similar to
> MS4W from DM Solutions Group.  This was done as a test for the upcoming
> open source geospatial conference here in Minneapolis in June.  As it
> turned out we won't be using Ubuntu but I already have this package so
> might as well use it.  It can be downloaded from
> http://hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/~pnaciona/osgis_ubuntu.tar.gz.  The README is
> also available: http://hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/~pnaciona/osgis_README.
>
> Cheers!
> -Perry
>
> On Tuesday 19 April 2005 01:14 am, Paul Scott wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 20:51 -0700, Jon Saints wrote:
> > > I installed postgis on Ubuntu using the debian GIS
> > > repository.
> >
> > Jon,
> >
> > Where is the Debian GIS Repository? I searched the entire weekend for
> > it!
> >
> > I am busy trying to put together a GIS-for-schools package using Ubuntu,
> > postgis, mapserver, Grass and qgis.
> >
> > <[OT]>
> > At the moment schools in South Africa are wanting to start a GIS
> > programme, and I want to put forward these apps as a demo.
> >
> > On a similar note, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can
> > use?
> > </[OT]>
> >
> > --Paul

Pericles S. Nacionales

Dept. of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior
University of Minnesota
work: 612 624 6713
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: postgis Ubuntu

Paul Scott
On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 01:31 -0500, Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:
> I meant to add that this tarball isn't meant for production environment but it
> should be perfect for classroom environment.  The tarball is pretty big
> (~125Mb) so you might have a log wait.  The md5 signature is at
> hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/~pnaciona/osgis_ubuntu.tar.gz.md5.

Thanks! I am busy downloading it now. It is going pretty quick for now,
network traffic isn't massive at the moment, people haven't got to work
yet :).

> Let me know if you want the source as well.

Yes please! I can get that later tonight if it is handy. I would like to
customize it for the schools first, so that it looks more school
friendly. The learners that will be using it have little to no computer
experience, never mind linux and OSS experience.

> -Perry

Re: postgis Ubuntu

Paul Scott
On another note, I am thinking of distribution as an Ubuntu LiveCD/DVD
are there any objections to this?

The live cd/dvd will be available for download as soon as I'm done with
it...

--Paul

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 08:53 +0100, Paul Scott wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 01:31 -0500, Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:
> > I meant to add that this tarball isn't meant for production environment but it
> > should be perfect for classroom environment.  The tarball is pretty big
> > (~125Mb) so you might have a log wait.  The md5 signature is at
> > hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/~pnaciona/osgis_ubuntu.tar.gz.md5.
> >
> Thanks! I am busy downloading it now. It is going pretty quick for now,
> network traffic isn't massive at the moment, people haven't got to work
> yet :).
>
> > Let me know if you want the source as well.
> >

> Yes please! I can get that later tonight if it is handy. I would like to
> customize it for the schools first, so that it looks more school
> friendly. The learners that will be using it have little to no computer
> experience, never mind linux and OSS experience.
>
> > -Perry

Re: postgis Ubuntu

Pericles S. Nacionales-2
Paul,

A LiveCD/DVD would definitely be helpful to schools and to individuals who
just want to try it out without having to take time installing things.
Ubuntu seems like a good distribution for it.  I have no objections.

I'll try to have the source tarball and compilation README uploaded to
hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/~pnaciona/osgis_ubuntu_src.tar.gz before the evening, your
time.

-Perry

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 03:01 am, Paul Scott wrote:

> On another note, I am thinking of distribution as an Ubuntu LiveCD/DVD
> are there any objections to this?
>
> The live cd/dvd will be available for download as soon as I'm done with
> it...
>
> --Paul
>
> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 08:53 +0100, Paul Scott wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 01:31 -0500, Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:
> > > I meant to add that this tarball isn't meant for production environment
> > > but it should be perfect for classroom environment.  The tarball is
> > > pretty big (~125Mb) so you might have a log wait.  The md5 signature is
> > > at hypnos.cbs.umn.edu/~pnaciona/osgis_ubuntu.tar.gz.md5.
> >
> > Thanks! I am busy downloading it now. It is going pretty quick for now,
> > network traffic isn't massive at the moment, people haven't got to work
> > yet :).
> >
> > > Let me know if you want the source as well.
> >
> > Yes please! I can get that later tonight if it is handy. I would like to
> > customize it for the schools first, so that it looks more school
> > friendly. The learners that will be using it have little to no computer
> > experience, never mind linux and OSS experience.
> >
> > > -Perry

Pericles S. Nacionales

Dept. of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior
University of Minnesota
work: 612 624 6713
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: postgis Ubuntu

Silke Reimer-2
On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:14:58AM +0100, Paul Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 20:51 -0700, Jon Saints wrote:
> > I installed postgis on Ubuntu using the debian GIS
> > repository.
>
> Jon,
>
> Where is the Debian GIS Repository? I searched the entire weekend for
> it!

Since Debian GIS originally has been founded for a better support of
grass into debian the project's name is pkg-grass. So you find
Debian GIS on
        http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl
and its repository on
        http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/debian-gis

Greetings,

        Silke

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/

Re: postgis Ubuntu

Jon Saints
Just wanted to comment that the Debain Repository
works superbly on Debian Sarge and UserLinux.

Using Ubuntu I have had mixed results, becuase Ubuntu
differs from Debian in a few key areas.  Python
mapscript for Mapserver, for example, wouldnt install
because Ubuntu uses Python 2.4 and not 2.3.

The Debian GIS team is doing amazing work.

--- Silke Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:14:58AM +0100, Paul Scott
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 20:51 -0700, Jon Saints
> wrote:
> > > I installed postgis on Ubuntu using the debian
> GIS
> > > repository.
> >
> > Jon,
> >
> > Where is the Debian GIS Repository? I searched the
> entire weekend for
> > it!
>
> Since Debian GIS originally has been founded for a
> better support of
> grass into debian the project's name is pkg-grass.
> So you find
> Debian GIS on
> http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl
> and its repository on
> http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/debian-gis
>

> Greetings,
>
> Silke
>
> --
> Intevation GmbH
>
> Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück,
> Germany
> http://intevation.de
> http://intevation.de/~silke
> FreeGIS.org
> http://freegis.org/

Re: postgis Ubuntu

alex bodnaru
if you are using postgis debian package, you have simpler and more
powerful way to create a database. see the debian documentation
at /usr/share/libpostgis1-pg74

alex

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 20:51 -0700, Jon Saints wrote:

> I installed postgis on Ubuntu using the debian GIS
> repository. I am not sure that this is possible, but I
> thought that i would give it a try. Although postgis
> installed without warnings, I now have trouble when I
> try to spatialy enable a database.
>
> The command:
> psql -d indon -f
> /usr/share/postgresql/contrib/lwpostgis.sql
>

> yeilds:
> psql:/usr/share/postgresql/contrib/lwpostgis.sql:36:
> ERROR:  could not load library
> "/usr/lib/postgresql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.0":
> /usr/lib/postgresql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.0: undefined
> symbol: _ZN4geos11Polygonizer11getPolygonsEv
>
> Any ideas?
> thanks
> Jon

Re: postgis Ubuntu

Paul Scott
I have started an AVOIR project for the UnuntuGIS mini
distribution/LiveCD/DVD on http://avoir.uwc.ac.za

If anyone is interested in becoming part of this project, register a
username on avoir and let me know off list so that I can add you to the
project.

With something like this, we are going to need to do a lot of
maintenance to keep the software up to date, so any help will be greatly
appreciated.

--Paul