[postgis] Release 0.2

Paul Ramsey-2
OK, after much blowing and wheezing I am pleased to toss PostGIS 0.2 out
to the winds. Dave has worked some serious magic. Here's the changelog:

- New functions
  - extent()
  - force_2d()
  - force_3d()
  - wkb_xdr()
  - wkb_ndr()
  - translate()
- Fixes
  - Cygwin compilation (Norman Vine, et al)
  - i386 byte alignment fixed
  - 'VACUUM ANALYZE' fixed
- Other
  - documentation in docbook xml
  - example program for WKB access
  - removed 'make test' until we can get regression
    working more cleanly

My favourites are the WKB and the fix for the i386 platform (kind of
important, that!). Moving the doco to docbook will hopefully be a good
long-term thing too. Still, sorry to say, I have not gotten the time to
setup CVS. By the end of the week, I promise.

Current ToDo list looks like this:

- Change function names to be OGC compliant (following the "Simple
Features
  Specification for SQL")
- Add some more of the OGC spec functions
- Tie in to simple GIS clients
- Better libpq client example (fewer hardcoded parameters *cough*)
- GML import/export routines
- Document Java code better. Usage example better and perhaps client
app.

--
      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey
     | Refractions Research
     | Email: [hidden email]
     | Phone: (250) 885-0632
     \_

RE: [postgis] Release 0.2

Norman Vine
Paul Ramsey writes:

>OK, after much blowing and wheezing I am pleased to toss PostGIS 0.2 out
>to the winds. Dave has worked some serious magic.

Great !!

Makefile seems to work with Cygwin :-)

However

BYTE_ORDER
and
LITTLE_ENDIAN

are undefined in postgis.c
most easily fixed by adding

#ifdef __CYGWIN__
#include <sys/param.h>       // FOR ENDIAN DEFINES
#endif

Cheers

Norman Vine

Re: [postgis] Release 0.2

Timothy H. Keitt
Can't wait to try it.  Got a download URL?

Tim

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Department of Ecology and Evolution

RE: [postgis] Release 0.2

Norman Vine
Timothy H. Keitt

>Can't wait to try it.  Got a download URL?

http://postgis.refractions.net/postgis-0.2.tar.gz

Re: [postgis] Release 0.2

David Blasby-3
Norman Vine wrote:

> However
>
> BYTE_ORDER
> and
> LITTLE_ENDIAN
>
> are undefined in postgis.c
> most easily fixed by adding
>
> #ifdef __CYGWIN__
> #include <sys/param.h>       // FOR ENDIAN DEFINES
> #endif

Thanks - this will show up in future versions of postgis.c

dave

[postgis] New stuff in the CVS version

David Blasby-3
I've been very busy improving PostGIS.  Currently its only available in
the CVS version (see #4 below).  We'll make a release once its been
tested more completely and the documentation has caught up to it.

1. Having one huge .c file was a pain, so we now have 4 .c files

        + postgis_debug.c -- debuging function (not really useful except
developers)
        + postgis_fn.c    -- generic function (like length() )
        + postgis_ops.c   -- operators and indexing functions
        + postgis_inout.c -- type support fns and data conversion fns

2. I've added a bunch more function.  You'll recognize them from the
OGIS Simple Feature Specification for SQL.  Does anyone want to add more
functions or change the behaviour of these?

        dimension(GEOMETRY) -- returns 2 if its a 2d geometry, 3 if its
3d
        geometrytype(GEOMETRY) -- returns the type of
dimension(GEOMETRY) (ie
"LINESTRING")
        envelope(GEOMETRY)   -- returns a POLYGON(..), representing the
bounding box of GEOMETRY

        X(GEOMETRY) -- find the first POINT(..) in GEOMETRY, returns its
value.  Return NULL if there is no POINT(..) in GEOMETRY
        Y(GEOMETRY) -- find the first POINT(..) in GEOMETRY, returns its
value.  Return NULL if there is no POINT(..) in GEOMETRY
        Z(GEOMETRY) -- find the first POINT(..) in GEOMETRY, returns its
value.  Return NULL if there is no POINT(..) in GEOMETRY

        numpoints(GEOMETRY) -- find the first linestring in GEOMETRY,
return
the number of points in it.  Return NULL if there is no LINESTRING(..)
in GEOMETRY
        pointn(GEOMETRY,INTEGER) -- find the first linestring in
GEOMETRY,
return the point at index INTEGER (0 is 1st point).  Return NULL if
there is no LINESTRING(..) in GEOMETRY or INTEGER is out of bounds.

        exteriorRing(GEOMETRY) -- find the first polygon in GEOMETRY,
return
its exterior ring (as a linestring).  Return NULL if there is no
POLYGON(..) in GEOMETRY.
        NumInteriorRings(GEOMETRY) -- find the first polygon in
GEOMETRY,
return the number of interior rings.  Return NULL if there is no
POLYGON(..) in GEOMETRY.
        InteriorRingN(GEOMETRY,INTEGER) --  find the first polygon in
GEOMETRY,
return the interior ring at index INTEGER (as a linestring).  Return
NULL if there is no POLYGON(..) in GEOMETRY or INTEGER is out of bounds.

        numgeometries(GEOMETRY) -- if GEOMETRY is a GEOMETRYCOLLECTION,
return
the number of geometries in it, otherwise return NULL.
        geometryN(GEOMETRY, INTEGER) -- if GEOMETRY is a
GEOMETRYCOLLECTION,
return the sub-geometry at index INTEGER (0=first geometry), otherwise
return NULL.   NOTE: MULTIPOINT, MULTILINESTRING,MULTIPOLYGON are
converted to sets of POINT,LINESTRING, and POLYGON so the index may
change.  For example, for 'GEOMETRYCOLLECTION(MULTIPOINT(1 1, 2 2))'
index 0 is POINT(1 1) and index 1 is POINT(2 2).

3. Other functions
        I added some programmer contructors for making GEOMETRY types,
POINTs, LINESTRINGs, and POLYGONs.

4. Paul has a CVS server running, so you can also get the most
up-to-date version.  For details, see the main page
(http://postgis.refractions.net).  I believe its updated every hour.

5. I'll probably be removing Rtree support soon, since the RTree index
cannot handle GEOMETRY with size >8kb, and it takes forever to build.
Use the GiST index instead.

dave

Re: [postgis] New stuff in the CVS version

Frank Warmerdam
Dave Blasby wrote:
> 4. Paul has a CVS server running, so you can also get the most
> up-to-date version.  For details, see the main page
> (http://postgis.refractions.net).  I believe its updated every hour.

Dave / Paul,

Is there going to be pubic (aka anonymous) CVS access made available?

Re: [postgis] New stuff in the CVS version

Paul Ramsey-2
Hi Frank,
If you have a fixed IP or address range, I can open up access to you. I
am loath to fully open CVS (paranoia is me) to a world of buffer
overflows and mass port scans. As long as the amount of people
developing is small I think I can maintain this...
Just send me the address(es) and I'll open it up for you and send you
the CVSROOT etc.
Paul

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Dave Blasby wrote:
> > 4. Paul has a CVS server running, so you can also get the most
> > up-to-date version.  For details, see the main page
> > (http://postgis.refractions.net).  I believe its updated every hour.
>
> Dave / Paul,
>
> Is there going to be pubic (aka anonymous) CVS access made available?
>
> Best regards,

      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey