[postgis] PostGIS/ PostGreSQL ODBC problem

[postgis] PostGIS/ PostGreSQL ODBC problem

TONY J.Y.
Hi all,

I am using the PostGIS to do research. Here I think that I found a bug with PostGreSQL / PostGIS.
PostgreSQL 7.1.3/ PostGIS 0.6.2

There is a function called "Astext" in PostGIS, defined as below.
    -- Function: astext(geometry)
    CREATE FUNCTION "astext"("geometry") RETURNS "text" AS 'astext_geometry' LANGUAGE 'C' WITH (ISSTRICT);

When I used this function to return a geometry column, everything is OK if the result was less than 8190.
I used the ODBC to get the ADO RecordSet.  The DefinedSize of the field "astext" is 8190.

Does this the PostgreSQL's ODBC problem?  If the ODBC can not get the field's size, would it give the size of 8190?
Or this is the PostGIS's problem?

Best regards,
Tony

---
Tony Jiang, MSc
Research & Development Programmer/Analyst
MRF Geosystems Corp (www.mrf.com)
Suite 700, 665 8th Street SW,
Calgary, AB T2P 3K7
(403) 216-5515 ext:226

Re: [postgis] PostGIS/ PostGreSQL ODBC problem

Paul Ramsey-2
The ODBC driver defaults to a particular size. ODBC is not the best way
to get data out of pgsql, just the most convenient. The best way is to
directly use libpq. Check the configuration panel of the ODBC driver to
change the defaults for maximum text field size.

> "TONY J.Y." wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am using the PostGIS to do research. Here I think that I found a bug
> with PostGreSQL / PostGIS.
> PostgreSQL 7.1.3/ PostGIS 0.6.2
>
> There is a function called "Astext" in PostGIS, defined as below.
>     -- Function: astext(geometry)
>     CREATE FUNCTION "astext"("geometry") RETURNS "text" AS
> 'astext_geometry' LANGUAGE 'C' WITH (ISSTRICT);
> When I used this function to return a geometry column, everything is
> OK if the result was less than 8190.
> I used the ODBC to get the ADO RecordSet.  The DefinedSize of the
> field "astext" is 8190.
>
> Does this the PostgreSQL's ODBC problem?  If the ODBC can not get the
> field's size, would it give the size of 8190?
> Or this is the PostGIS's problem?
>

> Best regards,
> Tony
>
> ---
> Tony Jiang, MSc
> Research & Development Programmer/Analyst
> MRF Geosystems Corp (www.mrf.com)
> Suite 700, 665 8th Street SW,
> Calgary, AB T2P 3K7
> (403) 216-5515 ext:226

      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey
     | Refractions Research
     | Email: [hidden email]
     | Phone: (250) 885-0632
     \_

Win a Capcom Console Game of Your Choice Or Even a Capcom Arcade System. Click Here to Enter.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tmpz8B/exbDAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM

Re: [postgis] PostGIS/ PostGreSQL ODBC problem

TONY J.Y.

Thanks Paul.

Your reply is exactly the answer to my problem.

---
Tony Jiang, MSc
Research & Development Programmer/Analyst
MRF Geosystems Corp (www.mrf.com)
Suite 700, 665 8th Street SW,
Calgary, AB T2P 3K7
(403) 216-5515 ext:226

> The ODBC driver defaults to a particular size. ODBC is not the best way
> to get data out of pgsql, just the most convenient. The best way is to
> directly use libpq. Check the configuration panel of the ODBC driver to
> change the defaults for maximum text field size.

Call any Phone in the World from your PC with CrystalVoice
-LOW rates world-wide - $0.039/min in U.S.
FREE trial. Click here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ib1xVB/IxbDAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM