[postgis] PROJ4 as a PostgreSQL function

[postgis] PROJ4 as a PostgreSQL function

Roderick A. Anderson-3
I'm back still trying to deal with getting data into different
coordinate systems.  I've got some data that I want to use but it is in
LAT/LONG and from previous discussions I think this is less than
optimal, or even useable, by PostGIS.  And heck I've got some other data
from several sources each with it's own ideas of a coordiante system and
in different file formats.

So I got thinking that if PROJ4 could be modified and loaded as a
function in PostgreSQL it would be easier to get data into a different
coordiante system.  Not something that should be done on the fly since
I'd guess it would eat your system for lunch but a "launch-it and come
back later deal" could work.

Of course if any one knows of a "joe-six-pack simple" opensource (or
free) converter that handles shape files this is just another
wild-ass-idea from me.

If it isn't I'll start researching how to do this.

Cheers,
Rod
--
                      Let Accuracy Triumph Over Victory

                                                       Zetetic Institute
                                                        "David's Sling"
                                                         Marc Stiegler

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4bQK.B/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM

RE: [postgis] PROJ4 as a PostgreSQL function

Norman Vine
Roderick A. Anderson writes:

>Of course if any one knows of a "joe-six-pack simple" opensource (or
>free) converter that handles shape files this is just another
>wild-ass-idea from me.

Buried in the gdal distribution there is a shpproj utility
gdal / frmts / shapelib / contrib / shpproj.c

This might also be part of the shapelib dist.

>If it isn't I'll start researching how to do this.

FWIW
I have also been thinking that this might be a worthwhile thing todo.

Cheers

Norman

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3FDzZA/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM

[postgis] CVS supplied revision stamps

Norman Vine
HI All

In the process of trying to debug a problem I was having
with files processed by shp2psql I noticed that there are
no copyright notices or ID strings in the source files.

The copyright notice I can live without but an automatically
generated rcsID string can be a great help in debugging.

There are two common ways of using this feature
1) have it at the end of the file comment
2) have it at the top of the source itself as Frank has done with GDAL

Both ways have their merits.

keyword documentation @
% info cvs keyword

Cheers

Norman

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kL8TtD/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM

Re: [postgis] PROJ4 as a PostgreSQL function

Doug Nebert-2
I believe that the mapserver 3.5 distribution already includes this
linkage with PROJ.4 and can project and deliver the projected
maps (thanks to other enterprising Canadians). I recall seeing a
demo of this but haven't done it myself.

Doug.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/gwUrIA/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM

dn.vcf (191 bytes) Download Attachment

Doug Nebert writes:

>I believe that the mapserver 3.5 distribution already includes this
>linkage with PROJ.4 and can project and deliver the projected
>maps (thanks to other enterprising Canadians). I recall seeing a
>demo of this but haven't done it myself.

Yes, mapserver has had proj support for awhile.

However postGIS has lot's of otehr potenial uses other then being
a data store for mapserver :-)

Cheers

Norman

http://us.click.yahoo.com/iHh8lD/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM