[postgis] OGR Upgraded

Frank Warmerdam
Folks,

Sorry for generating so much traffic today.

I have completed my proof-of-concept upgrade to the OGR PostgreSQL driver to
support PostGIS.  OGR will now recognise PostGIS tables (any table with
a column of type Geometry) and read the spatial data properly.  It will also
recognise that PostGIS support is available when creating new tables, and
if so default to using the Geometry type for the spatial column.

Based on this, my "ogr2ogr" utility can now be used to load a variety of
file formats including Shape, and MapInfo directly into PostGIS.

Also, OGR enabled applications like MapServer, and OpenEV can read PostGIS
style tables.

Issues:

 o Type handing in the OGR-postgresql link is weak.
 o Spatial and attribute queries are currently evaluated within OGR instead
   of being passed off to postgresql, thereby discarding a major benefit of
   a database ... various kinds of query optimization.  However, this can be
   resolved relatively easily.
 o I am not too database savvy, and I don't think I do some things very
   efficiently.  For instance, I think I do a transaction for each new record
   added to the table during bulk loading.
 o Currently the support is done using libpq, and is very Postgresql specific.
   I would like to migrate to ODBC.

Further information can be found at:

  http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/

I am willing to prepare binaries of "ogr2ogr" for Linux with PostgreSQL/PostGIS
support if someone wants to use them.  Of course the source is checked in for
anyone brave enough to try building it.

Does anyone know if the GeoTools or FMaps folks are interested in reading
from PostGIS?  It would be nice to have a decent graphical client for PostGIS.
OpenEV will work against it now, but it's concept of vector handling is a bit
weak.  For instance, it always loads the entire spatial tables into memory.

Re: [postgis] OGR Upgraded

Paul Ramsey-2
That's great Frank! Tomorrow is a "paying client" day for me too, so
I'll not get to try it for a couple more, but I can't wait!

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I have completed my proof-of-concept upgrade to the OGR PostgreSQL driver to
> support PostGIS.  OGR will now recognise PostGIS tables (any table with
> a column of type Geometry) and read the spatial data properly.  It will also
> recognise that PostGIS support is available when creating new tables, and
> if so default to using the Geometry type for the spatial column.
>
>  o I am not too database savvy, and I don't think I do some things very
>    efficiently.  For instance, I think I do a transaction for each new record
>    added to the table during bulk loading.

Booo! It's worth doing them right, because the load time difference is
an order of magnitude (really).

>  o Currently the support is done using libpq, and is very Postgresql specific.
>    I would like to migrate to ODBC.

Hrm, that would assume another sufficiently compliant database to talk
to :)

> I am willing to prepare binaries of "ogr2ogr" for Linux with PostgreSQL/PostGIS
> support if someone wants to use them.  Of course the source is checked in for
> anyone brave enough to try building it.

I'm brave, I'll give it a go.

> Does anyone know if the GeoTools or FMaps folks are interested in reading
> from PostGIS?  It would be nice to have a decent graphical client for PostGIS.
> OpenEV will work against it now, but it's concept of vector handling is a bit
> weak.  For instance, it always loads the entire spatial tables into memory.

My next Java project is going to be a Layer for OpenMap which reads
PostGIS. I think it should be relatively easy, and the payoff will be
oh-so-good.

--
      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey
     | Refractions Research
     | Email: [hidden email]
     | Phone: (250) 885-0632
     \_

Re: [postgis] OGR Upgraded

Oliver Duke-Williams
On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 06:56:14PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Does anyone know if the GeoTools or FMaps folks are interested in reading
> from PostGIS?  It would be nice to have a decent graphical client for PostGIS.

The GeoTools group are certainly interested in PostGIS, and hope to have some
demos running fairly soon - it would certainly be nice to have a reliable
database backend, and we've got a reasonable base of experience as users of
Postgres, so we should be fairly comfortable with PostGIS.

That said, the lead developer is going to be away for about a month, so there
will be a bit of a delay before anything appears.

Cheers,

Oliver

--
Oliver Duke-Williams  <[hidden email]>   Tel 0113 233 3286
Centre for Computational Geography, University of Leeds, UK

[postgis] Remotesensing.org and OSSIM

Mark Lucas-3
Been lurking for a couple of days now.  Seems everywhere I go I find
Frank Warmerdam and Norman Vine, why is that?  We are very excited
about your efforts and plan on getting actively involved.  We host
http://www.remotesensing.org and can offer you support there if you
want it (CVS, ftp, mirrors, etc).  The most active project is OSSIM
(open source software image map) - a contrived acronym that sounds
like 'awesome'.  Our initial focus will be looking at the synergy
between OSSIM and the postgis capabilities.  Looking forward to
working with you.

/usr/mrl