[postgis] Mapserver

gispmpf
Where can i get more informations about the use of Mapserver with
Postgis?
I have a lot of quuestios  about it like:
how can i define a Symbol to be use with te data of the geom field?
can i draw an image using the postgis geom field?

Thanks
João Mario L Brezolin
GIS/Analyst

Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Secure corporate intranets? Authenticate your Web sites? Whatever
security your site needs, you'll find the perfect solution here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wOMkGD/Q56CAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM

Re: [postgis] Mapserver

Paul Ramsey-2
[hidden email] wrote:

> Where can i get more informations about the use of Mapserver with
> Postgis?

Hm. Well, the PostGIS documentation has a section on Mapserver, which
covers the PostGIS-specific elements of the problem. And the mapserver
site (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/) has all the documentation on using
mapserver in general.

> I have a lot of quuestios  about it like:
> how can i define a Symbol to be use with te data of the geom field?

(I think) This is more of a Mapserver question. You can define all kinds
of symbols using a symbol table. Check out the (abstruse) mapserver
documentation.

> can i draw an image using the postgis geom field?

I am going to take a stab at this question ... if what I say makes no
sense, re-state your question, because I am not sure I know what you're
asking. Mapserver itself is an image-generation tool: it takes in GIS
data, some processing instructions about extents, styling details (line
weights, colors, fill colors, labelling), etc, and spits out a map
image. If you want to create a mapserver-style image from the command
line instead of via CGI, you can use the shp2img utility bundled with
Mapserver.

> Thanks
> João Mario L Brezolin
> GIS/Analyst

      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey
     | Refractions Research
     | Email: [hidden email]
     | Phone: (250) 885-0632
     \_

[postgis] Re: Mapserver

gispmpf
First , thanks for replay so fast this massage!
What i mean with the last question is : if i have a database with a
table with a geom field and i need to show the points  of this
polygon  in a web browser , i have to use the Mapserver to read this
points and draw them on the browser. And i dont have any shp files
just dxf files of the drawings.

Thanks , again
João Mario L Brezolin
GIS/Analyst

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> --
>       __
>      /
>      | Paul Ramsey
>      | Refractions Research
>      | Email: pramsey@r...
>      | Phone: (250) 885-0632
>      \_

Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k0k.gC/nT7CAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM

Re: [postgis] Re: Mapserver

Paul Ramsey-2

[hidden email] wrote:

> First , thanks for replay so fast this massage!
> What i mean with the last question is : if i have a database with a
> table with a geom field and i need to show the points  of this
> polygon  in a web browser , i have to use the Mapserver to read this
> points and draw them on the browser.

Yes, mapserver can read polygons (and lines and points) from a postgis
geometry field and create an image for the internet.

> And i dont have any shp files
> just dxf files of the drawings.

Check out Frank Wamerdam's OGR library for converting DXF to Shape (or
directly to PostGIS).

> Thanks , again
> João Mario L Brezolin
> GIS/Analyst
>
> --- In postgis@y..., Paul Ramsey <pramsey@r...> wrote:
> > gispmpf@y... wrote:
> > >
> > > Where can i get more informations about the use of Mapserver with
> > > Postgis?
> >
> > Hm. Well, the PostGIS documentation has a section on Mapserver,
> which
> > covers the PostGIS-specific elements of the problem. And the
> mapserver
> > site (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/) has all the documentation on
> using
> > mapserver in general.
> >
> > > I have a lot of quuestios  about it like:
> > > how can i define a Symbol to be use with te data of the geom
> field?
> >
> > (I think) This is more of a Mapserver question. You can define all
> kinds
> > of symbols using a symbol table. Check out the (abstruse) mapserver
> > documentation.
> >
> > > can i draw an image using the postgis geom field?
> >
> > I am going to take a stab at this question ... if what I say makes
> no
> > sense, re-state your question, because I am not sure I know what
> you're
> > asking. Mapserver itself is an image-generation tool: it takes in
> GIS
> > data, some processing instructions about extents, styling details
> (line
> > weights, colors, fill colors, labelling), etc, and spits out a map
> > image. If you want to create a mapserver-style image from the
> command
> > line instead of via CGI, you can use the shp2img utility bundled
> with
> > Mapserver.
> >

> > > Thanks
> > > João Mario L Brezolin
> > > GIS/Analyst

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
> >
> > --
> >       __
> >      /
> >      | Paul Ramsey
> >      | Refractions Research
> >      | Email: pramsey@r...
> >      | Phone: (250) 885-0632
> >      \_

      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey
     | Refractions Research
     | Email: [hidden email]
     | Phone: (250) 885-0632
     \_

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4mr93B/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM