[postgis] Mandrake install (about rpm release)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[postgis] Mandrake install (about rpm release)

Adrian Vance Custer
Hey everyone,

Postgis is pretty exciting; thanks for the work. PostGIS gotten me to
learn to use postgres and jdbc connectivity. I'm hoping to understand
those two then to pickup postgis and geotools to make a client.


This posting is about building postgis in conjunction with the Mandrake
distribution of postgreSQL. Mandrake is an RPM distribution derived from
Red Hat's. I suggest that PostGIS do NOT try to release it's own rpms
because that would be distribution work rather than development. (It
would also require different rpm's for Red Hat and Mandrake.) Indeed
much better is to get to a vaguely stable point and become part of
PostgreSQL contrib as suggested earlier by, I believe, Frank.


In the meantime, I was hoping to install PostGIS under a Mandrake
distribution of PostgreSQL. You may not support this yet but I thought I
would lay out what is going on.


Under Mandrake, PostgreSQL comes as 14 rpm's. The main ones of interest
to this discussion are:
postgresql-7.1.2-8mdk.i586.rpm
p...-contrib...
p...-devel....
p...-server...
p...-libs....

When those are all installed, the p...-devel... and p...-server... rpms
have populated the *.h files in /usr/include/pgsql/  and the
p...-contrib... rpm has installed the contrib directory in
/usr/lib/pgsql/contrib/

I suspect that the tarball could be made to build in either the source
tree or from /usr/lib/pgsql/contrib/ but this will require searching for
include and other files needed in a few places.

Could PostGIS be modified to build under this RPM scenario. If so, could
someone using a RedHat .rpm distribution of PostgreSQL see if RedHat
puts the files in a similar spot? Simiarly, do other distributions use
this file system hiearchy?

I don't feel confident enough with rpm's or postgres to have mutliple
version installed on this machine so I'll wait to use postgis until
either it builds from the rpm distribution or it becomes part of
postgresql contrib. In the meantime, I'll keep learing jdbc and
geotools.(I'll discuss this in a separate mail.)


ciao,
adrian

[hidden email].


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[hidden email]

 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [postgis] Mandrake install (about rpm release)

Paul Ramsey-2
Adrian Custer wrote:
>
> Could PostGIS be modified to build under this RPM scenario. If so, could
> someone using a RedHat .rpm distribution of PostgreSQL see if RedHat
> puts the files in a similar spot? Simiarly, do other distributions use
> this file system hiearchy?

The PostgreSQL team itself has an RPM bundler, who does a pretty scarily
thorough job. You can see the fruits of his labour here:

ftp://looking-glass.usask.ca/pub/postgresql/binary/v7.1.2/RPMS/

>From comparing the directories, it looks like he uses the same package
breakdowns for all the distros. I am going to take his SRPM and add the
PostGIS 0.5 sources to it for a lark.
 
  postgresql-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm                  
  postgresql-contrib-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm              
  postgresql-devel-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm              
  postgresql-docs-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm              
  postgresql-jdbc-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm                
  postgresql-libs-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm            
  postgresql-odbc-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm        
  postgresql-perl-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm            
  postgresql-python-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm            
  postgresql-server-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm              
  postgresql-tcl-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm                
  postgresql-test-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm              
  postgresql-tk-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[hidden email]

 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [postgis] Mandrake install (about rpm release)

Paul Ramsey-2
OK, RPM'ers, I have a SRPM for postgresql which includes postgis.

http://postgis.refractions.net/rpms/postgresql-7.1.2-5PGDG.src.rpm

Build it (rpm --rebuild <src_rpm>), and in your RPMS directory you will
find...

postgresql-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-contrib-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-devel-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-docs-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-jdbc-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-libs-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-odbc-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-perl-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-postgis-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-python-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-server-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-tcl-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-test-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
postgresql-tk-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm    

All the postgis files end up in /usr/lib/pgsql/postgis including the
all-important postgis.sql file.

The spec file is a crime, but it works. I have binaries as well, but
they are only suitable for Mandrake 7/Red Hat 6 (glibc 2.0). Adrian, I
am guessing you are Mandrake 8.

Paul Ramsey wrote:

>
> Adrian Custer wrote:
> >
> > Could PostGIS be modified to build under this RPM scenario. If so, could
> > someone using a RedHat .rpm distribution of PostgreSQL see if RedHat
> > puts the files in a similar spot? Simiarly, do other distributions use
> > this file system hiearchy?
>
> The PostgreSQL team itself has an RPM bundler, who does a pretty scarily
> thorough job. You can see the fruits of his labour here:
>
> ftp://looking-glass.usask.ca/pub/postgresql/binary/v7.1.2/RPMS/
>
> From comparing the directories, it looks like he uses the same package
> breakdowns for all the distros. I am going to take his SRPM and add the
> PostGIS 0.5 sources to it for a lark.
>
>   postgresql-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-contrib-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-devel-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-docs-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-jdbc-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-libs-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-odbc-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-perl-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-python-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-server-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-tcl-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-test-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>   postgresql-tk-7.1.2-4PGDG.i686.rpm
>
>
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> [hidden email]
>
>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[hidden email]

 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [postgis] Mandrake install (about rpm release)

Adrian Vance Custer
On 29 Jul 2001 23:20:01 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> OK, RPM'ers, I have a SRPM for postgresql which includes postgis.
>
> http://postgis.refractions.net/rpms/postgresql-7.1.2-5PGDG.src.rpm
>
> Build it (rpm --rebuild <src_rpm>), and in your RPMS directory you will
> find...

Nice of you to try this. I tried reaching the file but couldn't get to
that directory. Are the permissions set correctly?

>
> postgresql-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-contrib-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-devel-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-docs-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-jdbc-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-libs-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-odbc-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-perl-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-postgis-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-python-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-server-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-tcl-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-test-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm
> postgresql-tk-7.1.2-5PGDG.i586.rpm    
>
> All the postgis files end up in /usr/lib/pgsql/postgis including the
> all-important postgis.sql file.
>
> The spec file is a crime, but it works.

In other words, a classic hack. :-)

cheers,
adrian


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[hidden email]

 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [postgis] Mandrake install (about rpm release)

Paul Ramsey-2


Adrian Custer wrote:

>
> On 29 Jul 2001 23:20:01 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> > OK, RPM'ers, I have a SRPM for postgresql which includes postgis.
> >
> > http://postgis.refractions.net/rpms/postgresql-7.1.2-5PGDG.src.rpm
> >
> > Build it (rpm --rebuild <src_rpm>), and in your RPMS directory you will
> > find...
>
> Nice of you to try this. I tried reaching the file but couldn't get to
> that directory. Are the permissions set correctly?

Works from here... doesn't http://postgis.refractions.net/rpms give you
a directory index?

--
      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey
     | Refractions Research
     | Email: [hidden email]
     | Phone: (250) 885-0632
     \_

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[hidden email]

 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [postgis] Mandrake install (about rpm release)

Adrian Vance Custer
Hep,

works now. Sorry to bother you,

ciao,
adrian



On 30 Jul 2001 10:09:44 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:

>
>
> Adrian Custer wrote:
> >
> > On 29 Jul 2001 23:20:01 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> > > OK, RPM'ers, I have a SRPM for postgresql which includes postgis.
> > >
> > > http://postgis.refractions.net/rpms/postgresql-7.1.2-5PGDG.src.rpm
> > >
> > > Build it (rpm --rebuild <src_rpm>), and in your RPMS directory you will
> > > find...
> >
> > Nice of you to try this. I tried reaching the file but couldn't get to
> > that directory. Are the permissions set correctly?
>
> Works from here... doesn't http://postgis.refractions.net/rpms give you
> a directory index?
>


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[hidden email]

 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/