[postgis] JDBC driver for postgresql/postgis

[postgis] JDBC driver for postgresql/postgis

Nicolas Ribot-4
Hi all,

We are currently working on a internet application project based on
PostgreSQL and postgis to deliver geographic information to end-users.

This application will be (well, we hope so...) accessed by many users.
We are looking for an efficient JDBC driver for postgresql that could
support connection pool and distributed transactions.

For the moment, I tested jxDBCon JDBC driver and the driver provided
with postgreSQL. But they don't implement connection pooling (as far as
I've seen).

Do you know any project, even commercial one, developping such a driver
?

Thanx.
Nicolas Ribot & Jerome Gasperi

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0vN8tD/9pSDAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM

Re: [postgis] JDBC driver for postgresql/postgis

Paul Ramsey-2
I did not realize JDBC drivers had anything to do with connection
pooling. I thought that was an aspect of some higher-level application
server. JBOSS (http://www.jboss.org/) for example is an EJB container
with connection pooling capabilities. The J2EE frameworks in general
offer connection pooling, I think.

Nicolas Ribot wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are currently working on a internet application project based on
> PostgreSQL and postgis to deliver geographic information to end-users.
>
> This application will be (well, we hope so...) accessed by many users.
> We are looking for an efficient JDBC driver for postgresql that could
> support connection pool and distributed transactions.
>
> For the moment, I tested jxDBCon JDBC driver and the driver provided
> with postgreSQL. But they don't implement connection pooling (as far as
> I've seen).
>
> Do you know any project, even commercial one, developping such a driver
> ?
>
> Thanx.
> Nicolas Ribot & Jerome Gasperi

      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey
     | Refractions Research
     | Email: [hidden email]
     | Phone: (250) 885-0632
     \_

Promise to Quit
Nicotrol will help
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5vN8tD/AqSDAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM

Re: [postgis] JDBC driver for postgresql/postgis

Nicolas Ribot-4
Thanx for your answer, Paul,

It was not really clear to me, too. And your answer confirm that we have to
look at an application server able to do the job.
JBoss seems to be the good one.

Nicolas

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I did not realize JDBC drivers had anything to do with connection
> pooling. I thought that was an aspect of some higher-level application
> server. JBOSS (http://www.jboss.org/) for example is an EJB container
> with connection pooling capabilities. The J2EE frameworks in general
> offer connection pooling, I think.

Re: [postgis] JDBC driver for postgresql/postgis

Twan Kogels
There are actually jdbc drivers that offer connection poolings, these are
called 'pool drivers'. Using one of these are the easiest solution to
pooling database connection, cause you don't need to worry about anything,
pooling is done by the 'pool drivers'.

I've never used a pool driver, but some time ago i read a text about it.
Maybe a tip for a normal pooling package:
http://www.javaexchange.com

- Twan

http://www.twansoft.com