[postgis] Error while joining geo-columns

[postgis] Error while joining geo-columns

David Blasby-3
That means that the server crashed  :^(

If you could pg_dump the table "polygons" and send it to me would help
debugging.

dave

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM

Re: [postgis] Error while joining geo-columns

Manuel Weindorf

> That means that the server crashed  :^(
>
> If you could pg_dump the table "polygons" and send it to me would help
> debugging.
>
> dave

Later I recreated the database and did ithe rest without the AddGeom....
stuff, just used the table shp2pgsql created an it worked ...

Manuel

Manuel Weindorf wrote:
> Later I recreated the database and did ithe rest without the AddGeom....
> stuff, just used the table shp2pgsql created an it worked ...

Hum, this sounds strange.  The shp2pgsql program will set all the SRID
to -1 - its not really 0.6 compliant.

Could you still send me the "polygons" table - that query shouldnt crash
the server.  It could be a problem with enforcing SRID checks...

My original thought was that you had run out of memory or something...

dave

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM

Re: [postgis] Error while joining geo-columns

Manuel Weindorf

> Manuel Weindorf wrote:
> > Later I recreated the database and did ithe rest without the AddGeom....
> > stuff, just used the table shp2pgsql created an it worked ...
>
> Hum, this sounds strange.  The shp2pgsql program will set all the SRID
> to -1 - its not really 0.6 compliant.
>
> Could you still send me the "polygons" table - that query shouldnt crash
> the server.  It could be a problem with enforcing SRID checks...
>
> My original thought was that you had run out of memory or something...
>
> dave

I take back all I said yesterday concerning the problem described above.
Today I did it all again and it worked! I guess there was a problem between
the version of the libpostgis.so.0.5 (I switched yesterday a few times
between CVS and 0.5 and maybe I forgot to 'make install' something).
I think the same could happen if I created the DB under 0.5 and
used it in 0.6!?

But in fact, everthing works fine even when I don't use the AddGeometryColumn
stuff (just importing the shp2pgsql created file)

Manuel

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM

Re: [postgis] Error while joining geo-columns

David Blasby-3
> I take back all I said yesterday concerning the problem described above.
> Today I did it all again and it worked! I guess there was a problem between
> the version of the libpostgis.so.0.5 (I switched yesterday a few times
> between CVS and 0.5 and maybe I forgot to 'make install' something).
> I think the same could happen if I created the DB under 0.5 and
> used it in 0.6!?

Yes, thats 100% correct.  0.5 and 0.6 ("CVS") are NOT binary
compatible.  The information about the Spatial Reference System had to
be added to the GEOMETRY data structure (it also needed to be added to
the GiST indexing).  So if you use 0.5 data with 0.6 code (or
visa-versa) everything will screw up!

> But in fact, everthing works fine even when I don't use the AddGeometryColumn
> stuff (just importing the shp2pgsql created file)

No, you can get away with doing the AddGeometryColumn stuff because
non-spatial-referenced GEOMETRYs are given an SRID of -1.
You ought to use the AddGeometryColumn method since its what the OpenGIS
spec says you should use.  Plus, applications may assume that you have
properly setup your database & tables.  I know its a bit of a pain the
you-know-what, but it will become second nature to you very quickly.

dave

Make IT and computer Web sites more customer-friendly
Get a $10 AMAZON.COM Gift Certificate
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JjDtZD/Hd6CAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM