plugins without name, description, type

Brook Milligan
When I open the plugin manager I am getting lots of errors like the
following:

        Examining /usr/pkg/lib/qgis/gpxprovider.so
        Loaded /usr/pkg/lib/qgis/gpxprovider.so
        Failed to get name, description, or type for /usr/pkg/lib/qgis/gpxprovider.so
        dlopen succeeded

There are no plugins listed for any of those that have the above
messages.  Running ldd on the shared library indicates that all the
dependent libraries are found.

What could be causing this problem?  Any suggestions on how to fix
this are welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook