please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

123

please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello OSGeo projects,

it is not a long time till FOSS4G Boston where we will have an OSGeo
booth with the new OSGeo logo and new flyers for the projects.

This is why we need your help! Please create a new project flyer for
your OSGeo project with the new branding. We try to arrange it that the
flyer will be handed out at OSGeo booth in Boston from August 14-19,
2017 (http://2017.foss4g.org/)

The current flyer are out of date. You find them here as a template.
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/flyer/project_brochure_pdfs
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/flyer/

You also could take information from OSGeo-Live to setup your new flyer.
https://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html

You find the new branding material at:
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing

Have a look at the GeoforAll flyer or OSGeo-Live flyer. You can see how
a flyer could look like
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/print/geoforall_a4.pdf
https://github.com/lucadelu/osgeo/blob/osgeolive/marketing/print/osgeolive_names_a4.svg

The best way is to fork the repository on GutHub and make a pull request
with your new flyer at the end.

These are the steps for you:

1. How to set up the fonts (on linux create the folder
$HOME/.local/share/fonts and copy the 4 .ttf there)
* Download  from
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/branding/fonts

2. Take the svg template and modify it with the content of your project
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/print/osgeo_a4.svg
You can modify the svg either with a texteditor or f.e. inkscape.

3. In the end you can create a pull request to the osgeo repository

We try to organize it so the flyer will be printed and present at the
OSGeo booth

Thanks for your help.

If you have questions. Please ask on the list or contact me or Luca
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Lucadelu

PS: Luca finished the OSGeo-Live flyer and wants to work on the
Zoo-Project and MapServer flyer too.

Astrid

--
Astrid Emde
Charter Member

Re: please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

Anita Graser
Hi Astrid,

​I'm trying to update the QGIS brochure ...

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 12:36 AM, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
2. Take the svg template and modify it with the content of your project
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/print/osgeo_a4.svg
You can modify the svg either with a texteditor or f.e. inkscape.

​I'm having issues editing the SVG in Inkscape 0.91. When trying to edit text, the cursor appears in a different location than the editing takes place and I cannot seem to find a way to add line breaks (the text for the next line is written on top of the previous line).

Has anyone maybe created a template for a proper publishing program such as Scribus?

Thank you!

Anita

Re: please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

jody.garnett
Anita the original template was in InDesign - I do not have a copy of that program. I loaded the PDF into sketch, cleaned up the mess, and saved out as SVG.

The designer has not given us the final template yet, focus is understandably on the website.
On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 3:20 AM Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Luca Delucchi
On 30 July 2017 at 12:20, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Astrid,

Hi Anita,

> I'm having issues editing the SVG in Inkscape 0.91. When trying to edit
> text, the cursor appears in a different location than the editing takes
> place and I cannot seem to find a way to add line breaks (the text for the
> next line is written on top of the previous line).

I suggest you to modify the text with a text editor....

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

Re: please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

jody.garnett
Luca when we speak with Pim tomorrow let's ask if we can get an SVG export direct from InDesign - perhaps it will be easier to edit then the one produced thus far.

I am doing okay with a commercial program called Sketch, when I run InkScape I also found it awkward to type. I think this was because the text is nested in groups - so I had to enter the group multiple times before being able to edit. There is a navigation tree where you can select the element you want to edit in InkScape - I found this faster than entering groups multiple times.

--
Jody Garnett

On 30 July 2017 at 06:44, Luca Delucchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 30 July 2017 at 12:20, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Astrid,

Hi Anita,

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Luca when we speak with Pim tomorrow let's ask if we can get an SVG export direct from InDesign - perhaps it will be easier to edit then the one produced thus far.

​Do you have any updates for us?

Thanks!
Anita

Re: please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

jody.garnett
I think Luca may of turned in so let me try for an update:

- we focused on the 4 page brochure since that had a lot of changes and suggestions from the code sprint.
- luca has shared the information sheets he has done, the graphic designer is making print ready versions in indesign
- we had a solid look at printing (with a bit of help from peter wheerler and jeffrey johnson) and found that printing Letter size (rather than A4) provides a big cost savings in the US

I am not sure if Luca or myself asked for an improved SVG export.

Let me try again:

1. Removed all the groups to make it flat
2. Tried the result in InkScape still hard to edit text
3. Made new text in InkScape - easier to edit
4. Noticed that InkScape had the page size incorrect (everything is reduced by a bit 8.5 point fonts are now 6.8 etc...)
5. Made a new document starting with empty A4 InkScape, typed in the text, copied the shapes over and resized to fit

Please try the following:
It only really works in inkscape, if I preview it in another program (such as firefox) the text is broken or missing. Is there another open source program we could be using other than InkScape?

--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there another open source program we could be using other than InkScape?

​In the past, I've always used Scribus for brochures, posters and magazine design. A normal SVG editor seems like a bad fit to me ...

Scribus can import the existing SVG as a background. The text boxes will have to be set up from scratch. Without trying, I'm not sure how hard it will be to reproduce the exact same look as in the current template ... I could give it a go on Sunday at earliest.

Best wishes,
Anita​

Re: please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

jody.garnett
Scribus looks way more appropriate for this work thank you for the recommendation.

I just tried Boxy SVG (https://boxy-svg.com) and it appears to work.

It expects a non-inkscape svg file:

I found the difference:

- inscape (when it works) uses flow spans - but no browsers can render them.

<flowRoot>
  <flowRegion>
  <rect id="rect4770"width="283.24115" height="228.32214" x="305.29822" y="179.84657"/>
  <flowPara>OSGeo holds a passionate belief in open source as the best way to build software ...</flowPara>
  <flowPara>This approach provides greater control than proprietary (closed) software ...</flowPara>
</flowRoot>

- the other programs support tspans

  <text>
    <tspan>Open Source</tspan>
    <tspan>Geospatial Foundation</tspan>
  </text>

--
Jody Garnett

On 1 August 2017 at 22:19, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the past, I've always used Scribus for brochures, posters and magazine
> design. A normal SVG editor seems like a bad fit to me ...

+1 I also used Scribus to do stuff like that...

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

On 1 August 2017 at 23:06, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

I found the difference:

- inscape (when it works) uses flow spans - but no browsers can render them.

<flowRoot>
  <flowRegion>
  <rect id="rect4770"width="283.24115" height="228.32214" x="305.29822" y="179.84657"/>
  <flowPara>OSGeo holds a passionate belief in open source as the best way to build software ...</flowPara>
  <flowPara>This approach provides greater control than proprietary (closed) software ...</flowPara>
</flowRoot>

If I understood correctly after you modify the text you should convert it in a text

--
Jody Garnett

Re: please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
I'm trying to do this in InkScape but I'm not savvy in it at all, and
struggling.

Would it not be easier if projects just provided the text and someone
InkScape savvy would do the actual SVG editing?

Best regards,

Bart

On 28-07-17 00:36, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:

> Hello OSGeo projects,
>
> it is not a long time till FOSS4G Boston where we will have an OSGeo
> booth with the new OSGeo logo and new flyers for the projects.
>
> This is why we need your help! Please create a new project flyer for
> your OSGeo project with the new branding. We try to arrange it that
> the flyer will be handed out at OSGeo booth in Boston from August
> 14-19, 2017 (http://2017.foss4g.org/)
>

> The current flyer are out of date. You find them here as a template.
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/flyer/project_brochure_pdfs
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/flyer/
>
> You also could take information from OSGeo-Live to setup your new flyer.
> https://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html
>
> You find the new branding material at:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing
>
> Have a look at the GeoforAll flyer or OSGeo-Live flyer. You can see
> how a flyer could look like
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/print/geoforall_a4.pdf
>
> https://github.com/lucadelu/osgeo/blob/osgeolive/marketing/print/osgeolive_names_a4.svg
>

> The best way is to fork the repository on GutHub and make a pull
> request with your new flyer at the end.
>
> These are the steps for you:
>
> 1. How to set up the fonts (on linux create the folder
> $HOME/.local/share/fonts and copy the 4 .ttf there)
> * Download  from
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/branding/fonts
>

> 2. Take the svg template and modify it with the content of your project
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/print/osgeo_a4.svg
> You can modify the svg either with a texteditor or f.e. inkscape.
>
> 3. In the end you can create a pull request to the osgeo repository
>
> We try to organize it so the flyer will be printed and present at the
> OSGeo booth
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> If you have questions. Please ask on the list or contact me or Luca
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Lucadelu
>
> PS: Luca finished the OSGeo-Live flyer and wants to work on the
> Zoo-Project and MapServer flyer too.
>
> Astrid

Re: please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

jmckenna
Administrator
I ended up just editing the text in a text editor for the SVG, for the
MapServer flyer.  I agree, very difficult!  Huge thanks to Luca.

https://github.com/lucadelu/osgeo/blob/mapserver/marketing/print/mapserver.svg

-jeff

On 2017-08-03 11:16 AM, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:

> I'm trying to do this in InkScape but I'm not savvy in it at all, and
> struggling.
>
> Would it not be easier if projects just provided the text and someone
> InkScape savvy would do the actual SVG editing?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bart
>

> On 28-07-17 00:36, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
>> Hello OSGeo projects,
>>
>> it is not a long time till FOSS4G Boston where we will have an OSGeo
>> booth with the new OSGeo logo and new flyers for the projects.
>>
>> This is why we need your help! Please create a new project flyer for
>> your OSGeo project with the new branding. We try to arrange it that
>> the flyer will be handed out at OSGeo booth in Boston from August
>> 14-19, 2017 (http://2017.foss4g.org/)
>>

>> The current flyer are out of date. You find them here as a template.
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/flyer/project_brochure_pdfs
>>
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/marketing/flyer/
>>
>> You also could take information from OSGeo-Live to setup your new flyer.
>> https://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html
>>
>> You find the new branding material at:
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing
>>
>> Have a look at the GeoforAll flyer or OSGeo-Live flyer. You can see
>> how a flyer could look like
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/print/geoforall_a4.pdf
>>
>> https://github.com/lucadelu/osgeo/blob/osgeolive/marketing/print/osgeolive_names_a4.svg
>>

>> The best way is to fork the repository on GutHub and make a pull
>> request with your new flyer at the end.
>>
>> These are the steps for you:
>>
>> 1. How to set up the fonts (on linux create the folder
>> $HOME/.local/share/fonts and copy the 4 .ttf there)
>> * Download  from
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/branding/fonts
>>

>> 2. Take the svg template and modify it with the content of your project
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/print/osgeo_a4.svg
>> You can modify the svg either with a texteditor or f.e. inkscape.
>>
>> 3. In the end you can create a pull request to the osgeo repository
>>
>> We try to organize it so the flyer will be printed and present at the
>> OSGeo booth
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> If you have questions. Please ask on the list or contact me or Luca
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Lucadelu
>>
>> PS: Luca finished the OSGeo-Live flyer and wants to work on the
>> Zoo-Project and MapServer flyer too.
>>
>> Astrid

Re: please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

jody.garnett
Bart, and everyone, InkScape is not working out as a tool (it uses a newer version of the SVG standard which has different rules about fonts).

If you use boxy-svg.com you should be able to edit okay with much less frustration!

Luca is coordinating some printing with the graphics designer now, the print job is being submitted in a couple of hours. For anyone else Luca can arrange printing locally in Boston.

Strategically it is far more important for projects to fill in their details for the beta website and to attend the code-sprint for training.

--
Jody Garnett

On 3 August 2017 at 07:16, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sandro Santilli-4
On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 08:30:01AM -0700, Jody Garnett wrote:

>    - Software Projects <https://goo.gl/forms/rBTxobMSBNGiEXnB3> - we want
>    all osgeo projects represented for foss4g

How can we tell if a project was already submitted ? Is there a list
to consult ?

Also, the form has an error, using "GRASS GIS" as the label for
the field which should probably be labeled "Project name" instead.

--strk;

On 3 August 2017 at 16:16, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to do this in InkScape but I'm not savvy in it at all, and
> struggling.
>
> Would it not be easier if projects just provided the text and someone
> InkScape savvy would do the actual SVG editing?

it is quiet impossible to modify the text with inkscape, you can
modify the text using a text editor and after you can move the
paragraphs/images using inkscape

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

On 4 August 2017 at 12:00, Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How can we tell if a project was already submitted ? Is there a list
> to consult ?

nope, I think right now the simple is to look at the forks of osgeo repository

https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/network

> Also, the form has an error, using "GRASS GIS" as the label for
> the field which should probably be labeled "Project name" instead.

fixed!

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

Re: please create a new project flyer for your project with the new branding till FOSS4G Boston

jody.garnett
Sandro I am not sure about your message,

1) The form does say "project name"

Project Name
Please use the full name of your project (so "JTS Toplogy Suite" not "JTS") and avoid making it complicated (so "Orfeo ToolBox" not "Orfeo ToolBox (OTB)".

2) The spreadsheet generated by these forms is here

--
Jody Garnett

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 01:48:50PM +0200, Luca Delucchi wrote:

> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/network

Wrong URL ?
The /OSGeo/network one I don't have permission to access (strk)

--strk;

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 08:09:20AM -0700, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Sandro I am not sure about your message,
>
> 1) The form does say "project name"

It was fixed by Luca, thanks.

>  Software Projects (Responses)
> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1odkk8r_m73cBkRtzyUimSt6VQ6Jxl5ma1b2Qe34n4bg/edit?usp=drive_web>