plate caree and EPSG:4326

Alfredo Alessandrini
Hi,

I'm trying to reproject the VGT-P product with the gdal libraries.

The metafile is reported below.

It's right to assume the EPSG 4326 code as source spatial reference set?

Thanks,

Alfredo

MAP_PROJ_NAME             PLATE_CARREE_1KMG nom provisoirement egal au code
MAP_PROJ_FAMILY           UNPROJECTED
MAP_PROJ_CODE             PLATE_CARREE_1KMG
MAP_PROJ_UNIT             DEGREES
MAP_PROJ_RESOLUTION       0.0089285714
GEODETIC_SYST_NAME        WGS 1984
GEODETIC_SYST_CODE        WG84
HORIZ_DATUM               WGS 1984
MERIDIAN_NAME             GREENWICH
MERIDIAN_ORIGIN           +000.000
SPHEROID_NAME             WGS 1984
SPHEROID_SEMI_MAJ_AXIS    6378137.000
SPHEROID_SEMI_MIN_AXIS    6356752.314
CARTO_UPPER_LEFT_X          91.267857
CARTO_UPPER_LEFT_Y          72.232143
CARTO_UPPER_RIGHT_X        154.160714
CARTO_UPPER_RIGHT_Y         72.232143
CARTO_LOWER_RIGHT_X        154.160714
CARTO_LOWER_RIGHT_Y         -8.241071
CARTO_LOWER_LEFT_X          91.267857
CARTO_LOWER_LEFT_Y          -8.241071

Re: plate caree and EPSG:4326

Jose Gomez-Dans
Hi

On 30 January 2012 13:28, Alfredo Alessandrini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to reproject the VGT-P product with the gdal libraries.
It's right to assume the EPSG 4326 code as source spatial reference set?

I don't think they are the same. Plate Carree is an equidistance cylindrical projection. I used a different EPSG (32662) for this same data with success, although it shows are "deprecated"...:

Hope that helps
Jose

Re: plate caree and EPSG:4326

Jean-Claude Repetto
Le 30/01/2012 14:28, Alfredo Alessandrini a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to reproject the VGT-P product with the gdal libraries.
>
> The metafile is reported below.
>
> It's right to assume the EPSG 4326 code as source spatial reference set?

Yes, I think so. But it is not a Plate Carrée projection, since the
units would have been meters, not degrees. It is sometimes called
"Geodetic Projection" (see http://www.dme.nt.gov.au/IWSDoc/html/295.htm ).

Jean-Claude

Re: plate caree and EPSG:4326

Jean-Claude Repetto
Le 30/01/2012 15:05, Jose Gomez-Dans a écrit :

> I don't think they are the same. Plate Carree is an equidistance
> cylindrical projection. I used a different EPSG (32662) for this same
> data with success, although it shows are "deprecated"...:
> http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/32662/
>
> Jose

spatialreference.org says it has been replaced by EPSG:32663 .

Re: plate caree and EPSG:4326

Alfredo Alessandrini

the EPSG (32662) code is projected and in meters. But my metafile is
in degrees.

Alfredo

2012/1/30 Jose Gomez-Dans <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>

> On 30 January 2012 13:28, Alfredo Alessandrini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to reproject the VGT-P product with the gdal libraries.
>> It's right to assume the EPSG 4326 code as source spatial reference set?
>

> I don't think they are the same. Plate Carree is an equidistance cylindrical
> projection. I used a different EPSG (32662) for this same data with success,
> although it shows are "deprecated"...:
> http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/32662/
>
> Hope that helps
> Jose

Re: plate caree and EPSG:4326

Vincent Schut
On 01/30/2012 02:28 PM, Alfredo Alessandrini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to reproject the VGT-P product with the gdal libraries.
>
> The metafile is reported below.
>
> It's right to assume the EPSG 4326 code as source spatial reference set?

Probably, yes.
I have always used 4326 for spot vgt products, without any problems,
though I must mention that I mainly worked with areas located around the
equator. I think the 'plate carree' mentioned in the metadata is
misleading; as far as I know svgt products are in latlong unprojected space.

Vincent.