[pgrouting-dev] MOTION 2: Stop 2.x series support

[pgrouting-dev] MOTION 2: Stop 2.x series support

Vicky Vergara-2
Hello community

I am making the following motion:

Please use this mail thread to make comments and your community vote.
PSC members please vote on the motion.

Regards
Vicky

--
Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,

Vicky Vergara
Operations Research

eMail: vicky@georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info

Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9

CEO: Daniel Kastl

Re: [pgrouting-dev] MOTION 2: Stop 2.x series support

Rajat Shinde
Hello Vicky, Hello Community Members,

Thanks for starting the motion.
I feel that the motion is apt as going ahead it would be more convenient for users to upgrade to the latest version.

My vote - +1.

Thanks.
Kind regards,
Rajat

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020, 9:14 AM Vicky Vergara <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello community

I am making the following motion:

Please use this mail thread to make comments and your community vote.
PSC members please vote on the motion.

Regards
Vicky

--
Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,
81739 München, Germany

Vicky Vergara
Operations Research

eMail: vicky@georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info

Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9

CEO: Daniel Kastl

Re: [pgrouting-dev] MOTION 2: Stop 2.x series support

Regina Obe

+1

Re: [pgrouting-dev] MOTION 2: Stop 2.x series support

Ko Nagase
Hi Vicky, list,

The motion itself is okay for me, but about its application timing,
I prefer that after fixing the following 3.x alphaShape issues is better.

- https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/issues/1345
- https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/issues/1603

I will try to check the above issues after next week.

Regards,

2020年10月4日(日) 8:50 Regina Obe <[hidden email]>:

> +1

合同会社 Georepublic Japan
〒658-0081 兵庫県神戸市東灘区田中町1丁目7-22
長瀬 興
mail: [hidden email]

Re: [pgrouting-dev] MOTION 2: Stop 2.x series support

Cayetano Benavent-2
Hi Vicky,

My vote is +1.

Regards,

El sáb., 3 oct. 2020 5:44, Vicky Vergara <[hidden email]> escribió:
Hello community

I am making the following motion:

Please use this mail thread to make comments and your community vote.
PSC members please vote on the motion.

Regards
Vicky

--
Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,
81739 München, Germany

Vicky Vergara
Operations Research

eMail: vicky@georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info

Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9

CEO: Daniel Kastl

Re: [pgrouting-dev] MOTION 2: Stop 2.x series support

Mahmoud Sakr
Hi Vicky, developers,
Speaking for MobilityDB, the motion is good. The relevant extensions to BerlinMOD benchmark are all in 3.x. So +1 here.

Best regards,
Mahmoud Sakr

On Sunday, October 4, 2020, 3:33:52 AM GMT+2, Ko Nagase <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Vicky, list,

The motion itself is okay for me, but about its application timing,
I prefer that after fixing the following 3.x alphaShape issues is better.

- https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/issues/1345
- https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/issues/1603

I will try to check the above issues after next week.

Regards,

2020年10月4日(日) 8:50 Regina Obe <[hidden email]>:

> +1

dkastl
+0

I understand the reasons for dropping CGAL and I think it's a good idea to lower the amount of maintenance effort.
This is just a single function that probably only has a few users and it requires a lot of attention.
Because I and my company do not use the alphaShape function at the moment, it's also easy to agree.

That said, I'm not really sure if alphaShape will be part of PostGIS any time soon.
Is there someone working on this? Is there a feature request issue already?
If not, we should probably create an issue and reference it to the one on pgRouting to drop CGAL.

Regards,
Daniel

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 23:33, Cayetano Benavent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Vicky,

My vote is +1.

Regards,

El sáb., 3 oct. 2020 5:44, Vicky Vergara <[hidden email]> escribió:
Hello community

I am making the following motion:

Please use this mail thread to make comments and your community vote.
PSC members please vote on the motion.

Regards
Vicky

--
Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,
81739 München, Germany

Vicky Vergara
Operations Research

eMail: vicky@georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info

Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9

CEO: Daniel Kastl

--
Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: [hidden email]

Re: [pgrouting-dev] MOTION 2: Stop 2.x series support

Regina Obe

I don’t think it will be in PostGIS anytime soon and even if it is it would be thru SFCGAL which is not a hard dependency.

I am working on a revised ST_ConcaveHull (faster and more accurate) which could act as a proxy but I’m not sure I’ll be done with it before 3.1 and even so, many users would be using lower.

Also keep in mind what Darafei said in his blog post.  He thought AlphaShapes are a poor solution for pgRouting.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/isochrones-are-20933638

Added him to this email thread in case he wants to comment

Re: [pgrouting-dev] MOTION 2: Stop 2.x series support

dkastl
Thank you, Regina!
And thank you, Darafei, for that blog post.

I think this thread (and motion) should also show that there are maintenance costs (time & money) and both are usually limited.
The alphaShape function doesn't have a "healthy" balance between costs and use (probably). And Darafei's post shows that there could be better solutions.

That said if someone's business strongly depends on the alphaShape function, it's probably a good time to speak up now ... and eventually think of funding this functionality.

Best regards,
Daniel

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 12:07, Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:

I don’t think it will be in PostGIS anytime soon and even if it is it would be thru SFCGAL which is not a hard dependency.

I am working on a revised ST_ConcaveHull (faster and more accurate) which could act as a proxy but I’m not sure I’ll be done with it before 3.1 and even so, many users would be using lower.

Also keep in mind what Darafei said in his blog post.  He thought AlphaShapes are a poor solution for pgRouting.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/isochrones-are-20933638

Added him to this email thread in case he wants to comment

Re: [pgrouting-dev] MOTION 2: Stop 2.x series support

dkastl
Hi Darafei,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

I think there is a possibility to find people who care, so eventually we can encourage even some to sponsor option b).
Would you be interested to do this job? We can handle the "funding call".

Best regards,
Daniel

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 20:37, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

My recommendation would be to:

 a) if people don't care - drop in replace with ST_ConcaveHull. Both Alpha Shape and Concave Hull are incorrect for isochrones.

 b) if people care - replace with ST_LocateBetweenElevations(ST_ConstrainedDelaunayTriangles(linework_geom_with_t_in_z), t_min, t_max).

Best way is probably to have someone condense my blog post into drop-in code replacement for pgrouting and post it in "Breacking changes:" section of manual.

I believe it's ok to retire alphashapes.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 8:27 AM Daniel Kastl <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello all,

Based on Nagase San comment, I was looking around, and as you can see here:
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Manual/installation.html#installation_configwithcmake
CGAL starting from 5.0 works differently of what pgRouting 2.x is configured to work.
I was looking around and starting from focal, CGAL is 5.x
So keep the 2.x series with the new CGAL changes, that might need a lot of work.

Regards

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 8:33 PM Ko Nagase <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Vicky, list,

The motion itself is okay for me, but about its application timing,
I prefer that after fixing the following 3.x alphaShape issues is better.

- https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/issues/1345
- https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/issues/1603

I will try to check the above issues after next week.

Regards,

2020年10月4日(日) 8:50 Regina Obe <[hidden email]>:
> +1

Yah I think CGAL 5.x switched to header only code.  Made me really confused when I first looked at it because I was expecting after a compile I’d have a couple of libraries, but all I got were a bunch of header files so I thought I did something wrong.

SCGAL needed to make a lot of changes to get theirs to work with CGAL 5.x.

https://gitlab.com/Oslandia/SFCGAL/-/issues/234

Moving forward though I think it’s a good thing and now I have no CGAL library dependency anymore when I build SFCGAL.

I suspect they did that so they wouldn’t have packagers screaming at them all the time when they broke a ton of packages because of their changes.  Now everything is baked into the applications that they need.

2020104() 8:50 Regina Obe <[hidden email]>:

> +1

Hi Vicky, Regina, Darafei, Daniel,

Thanks for information about CGAL 5.x.
(I just noticed that my macOS homebrew CGAL version is already 5.1...
Also, I misread "focal" as "local", but it was Ubuntu 20.04 LTS version name...)

Definitely, it is quite difficult to install the older CGAL version to newer OS,
so I agree (+1) about the motion, regardless of the related issues
which I mentioned.

Also, about alpha shape implementation itself, I think that it is
worth considering
adding Darafei's proposal to pgRouting 3.x.

Regards,

2020年10月6日(火) 4:39 Regina Obe <[hidden email]>:

> Yah I think CGAL 5.x switched to header only code.  Made me really confused when I first looked at it because I was expecting after a compile I’d have a couple of libraries, but all I got were a bunch of header files so I thought I did something wrong.
>

> SCGAL needed to make a lot of changes to get theirs to work with CGAL 5.x.
>
> https://gitlab.com/Oslandia/SFCGAL/-/issues/234
>

> Moving forward though I think it’s a good thing and now I have no CGAL library dependency anymore when I build SFCGAL.
>
> I suspect they did that so they wouldn’t have packagers screaming at them all the time when they broke a ton of packages because of their changes.  Now everything is baked into the applications that they need.

Motion 2 has passed.

Thanks for your participation and we will consider about the future of pgr_alphaShape

Due to the fact that there is a lot of participation I will copy the motions (there are only two of them) to issues
https://github.com/pgRouting/admin/issues/37
https://github.com/pgRouting/admin/issues/36
In the future, motions will be done directly in the issues.