perfomance problems using Suse 10.3 .rpm

perfomance problems using Suse 10.3 .rpm

Sven Burbeck
Dear list members,
in order to test QGIS for our purposes we installed it on various
machines running Linux (Suse 10.3) and Windows (XP). On the Windows
machine and on Linux, when compiling from source everything works fine
and fast.
However, on one machine (Laptop) where we installed QGIS from Suse 10.3
.rpm we encountered massive performance problemes when it comes to
visualization of shapefiles (other formats we didn't test yet).
We've no clue if it is an rpm-problem or a hardware problem (maybe the
graphic card?)
If anybody made similar experiences - any hint will be most welcome!

cheers,
gisnix

Re: perfomance problems using Suse 10.3 .rpm

Don-4-3
I have had problems with qgis and suse10.3.  I had a recent posting of
the problem and no one replied.
If I save a project and then restart qgis and load it,  the postgis
layers do not display.  I have to manually add them by clicking on
connect and selecting the appropriate table.  Also when I go int o the
print composer I "lose" the postgis layer and only the raster graphics
layer is displayed..  Perhap the cause has something to do with all the
qt versions.   I noticed that some of the other distributions have to
run various utility programs to make sure the right one is selected.

Sven Burbeck wrote:

> > Dear list members,
> > in order to test QGIS for our purposes we installed it on various
> > machines running Linux (Suse 10.3) and Windows (XP). On the Windows
> > machine and on Linux, when compiling from source everything works fine
> > and fast.
> > However, on one machine (Laptop) where we installed QGIS from Suse 10.3
> > .rpm we encountered massive performance problemes when it comes to
> > visualization of shapefiles (other formats we didn't test yet).
> > We've no clue if it is an rpm-problem or a hardware problem (maybe the
> > graphic card?)
> > If anybody made similar experiences - any hint will be most welcome!
> >
> > cheers,
> > gisnix

Re: perfomance problems using Suse 10.3 .rpm

Tim Sutton
Hi

Which version of Qt4 does suse 10.3 come with?

Regards

Tim

2008/1/28, Don <[hidden email]>:

> I have had problems with qgis and suse10.3.  I had a recent posting of
> the problem and no one replied.
> If I save a project and then restart qgis and load it,  the postgis
> layers do not display.  I have to manually add them by clicking on
> connect and selecting the appropriate table.  Also when I go int o the
> print composer I "lose" the postgis layer and only the raster graphics
> layer is displayed..  Perhap the cause has something to do with all the
> qt versions.   I noticed that some of the other distributions have to
> run various utility programs to make sure the right one is selected.
>

> Sven Burbeck wrote:
>
> > > Dear list members,
> > > in order to test QGIS for our purposes we installed it on various
> > > machines running Linux (Suse 10.3) and Windows (XP). On the Windows
> > > machine and on Linux, when compiling from source everything works fine
> > > and fast.
> > > However, on one machine (Laptop) where we installed QGIS from Suse 10.3
> > > .rpm we encountered massive performance problemes when it comes to
> > > visualization of shapefiles (other formats we didn't test yet).
> > > We've no clue if it is an rpm-problem or a hardware problem (maybe the
> > > graphic card?)
> > > If anybody made similar experiences - any hint will be most welcome!
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > > gisnix

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: perfomance problems using Suse 10.3 .rpm

Don-4-3
rpm -qa | grep qt
libqt4-sql-sqlite-4.3.1-8
libqt4-devel-doc-4.3.1-23.2
qt3-devel-doc-3.3.8-76
dbus-1-qt3-devel-0.62-110
qt3-postgresql-3.3.8-76
pinentry-qt-0.7.2-1
qt3-devel-examples-3.3.8-76
python-qt4-4.3-19
libqt4-qt3support-4.3.1-23.2
poppler-qt4-0.5.4-101.2
qt3-32bit-3.3.8-76
qt3-devel-tools-3.3.8-76
qt3-mysql-3.3.8-76
yast2-control-center-qt-2.15.4-12
libqt4-sql-postgresql-4.3.1-8
libqt4-devel-4.3.1-23.2
qtcurve-gtk2-0.52.3-31
dbus-1-qt3-0.62-110
qt3-sqlite-3.3.8-76
qt3-man-3.3.8-76
libqt4-sql-4.3.1-23.2
libqt4-devel-doc-data-4.3.1-22
qt3-3.3.8-76
libqtpod-0.3-86
poppler-qt-0.5.4-101.2
dbus-1-qt3-32bit-0.62-110
libqt4-4.3.1-23.2
python-qt-3.17.3-18
qt3-devel-3.3.8-76
yast2-qt-2.15.16-19
qtcurve-gtk2-32bit-0.52.3-31
freqtweak-0.6.1-141
libqt4-dbus-1-4.3.1-23.2
libqt4-x11-4.3.1-23.2
I have this version of qgis installed
qgis --version
qgis: unrecognized option `--version'
Quantum GIS - 0.9.1-Ganymede 'Ganymede' (unknown)
Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a viewer for spatial data sets, including
raster and vector data.