[pdal] read scalar field as intensity in reader.ply

[pdal] read scalar field as intensity in reader.ply

Schneider, Dominik

is it possible to read a custom scalar field into the intensity dimension?

in my case, the output from our scanner includes a "gray" scalar value (binary .ply format) that is actually intensity. i would like to map it into the intensity dimension for processing.

see this discussion surrounding lastools :

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/lastools/zrpVZXtzhug/7-ZZKqIHAgAJ

Thanks!

Re: [pdal] read scalar field as intensity in reader.ply

andrew.bell.ia@gmail.com
You can't do this directly with a command-line option, but there are alternatives:

1) The header of a PLY file is ASCII text.  You can simply change the name of the field that's called "gray" (or whatever) to "Intensity".
2) You can add a ferry filter after the ply reader in your pipeline to copy the data from the gray field to the Intensity field.  If you're using "pdal translate", you can add the ferry filter to the process by using `-f ferry --filters.ferry.dimensions "gray=>Intensity"

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 12:41 PM Schneider, Dominik <[hidden email]> wrote:

is it possible to read a custom scalar field into the intensity dimension?

in my case, the output from our scanner includes a "gray" scalar value (binary .ply format) that is actually intensity. i would like to map it into the intensity dimension for processing.

see this discussion surrounding lastools :

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/lastools/zrpVZXtzhug/7-ZZKqIHAgAJ

Thanks!

Google Groups allows you to create and participate in online forums and email-based groups with a rich experience for community conversations.

Andrew Bell

Re: [pdal] read scalar field as intensity in reader.ply

Schneider, Dominik

filters.ferry worked great. Thanks!