[pdal] pgpointcloud writer compression

Lars
Hello,

Does pdal have any plans to support laz compression for pgpointcloud writer? This compression type is support by PostGIS pgpointcloud extension.

The source code does define a compression type enumerator named "lazperf" (compression.hpp). However the pgwriter class does not implement a solution for this compression type. Actually tried using pdal with compression set to use "laszperf" which resultet in pdal using none which was confussing. The PgWriter::SetupSchema method handles lazperf as none instead of giving an error message.

kind regards, Lars

Re: [pdal] pgpointcloud writer compression

andrew.bell.ia@gmail.com
On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Lars <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Does pdal have any plans to support laz compression for pgpointcloud writer? This compression type is support by PostGIS pgpointcloud extension.

This has been broken from the beginning - there is no compression support at all despite advertising it. I don't know the history. It predates my involvement.

If you'd like to make a pull request with some code, that would be great.

--
Andrew Bell

Re: [pdal] pgpointcloud writer compression

Lars
Andrew,

Just to make sure I understand this, you are saying that pgpointcloud does not support laz compression?

I am sure you know this but pgpointcloud must be built with LAZPERF enable in order to work.

Do you know if a pgpointcloud ticket has been created for this problem?

kind regards, Lars

Re: [pdal] pgpointcloud writer compression

Lars
Andrew ,

The below is from pgpointcloud documentation and it appears pgpointcloud handles compression stuff. So if PDAL could set lazperf compression type in schema, it might work 😊

"If you are writing your own loading system and want to write into Pointcloud types, create well-known binary inputs, in uncompressed format. If you schema indicates that your patch storage is compressed, Pointcloud will automatically compress your patch before storing it, so you can create patches in uncompressed WKB without worrying about the nuances of particular internal compression schemes."

Re: [pdal] pgpointcloud writer compression

andrew.bell.ia@gmail.com
I've opened the following ticket to address the issue:

https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/issues/2050

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 2:01 PM Lars <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrew ,

The below is from pgpointcloud documentation and it appears pgpointcloud handles compression stuff. So if PDAL could set lazperf compression type in schema, it might work 😊

"If you are writing your own loading system and want to write into Pointcloud types, create well-known binary inputs, in uncompressed format. If you schema indicates that your patch storage is compressed, Pointcloud will automatically compress your patch before storing it, so you can create patches in uncompressed WKB without worrying about the nuances of particular internal compression schemes."

Re: [pdal] pgpointcloud writer compression

Lars
Thank you Andrew.