[pdal] Reprojection help

rclarkenz
Hi fellow PDAL'ers

So after my post last week about OSGeo4W I reverted to Conda and I'm no longer getting the results I was getting in OSGeo4W. I would love some help troubleshooting as I feel like I'm overlooking something but not sure what.

I am doing a reprojection on a las file. When I run this command in the pdal version i have in OSGeo4W a file is created and the Z values have been correctly reprojected. When I run the exact same command in the conda environment, I get a file with data in it, but there has been no change/shift to the Z value.

OSGeo4W pdal version is 1.8.0
Conda pdal version is 2.0.1

This is the command:

pdal pipeline "C:/Rebecca/las/pipeline.json" --readers.las.filename="C:/Rebecca/las/BD38_5k_0201.las" --writers.las.filename="C:/Rebecca/las/BD38_5k_0201_NZVD2016.las" --filters.reprojection.out_srs="+init=EPSG:2193 +geoidgrids=C:/Rebecca/las/moturiki-1953-to-nzvd2016-conversion.gtx"

This is the contents of pipeline.json:

{
    "pipeline" :
    [
        {
            "type":"readers.las",
            "filename":"#"
        },
        {
            "type":"filters.reprojection",
            "in_srs":"EPSG:2193",
            "out_srs":"EPSG:2193"
        },
        {
            "type":"writers.las",
            "filename":"#",
            "a_srs":"EPSG:2193",
            "forward":"all"
        }
    ]
}

These are the packages which I installed in the conda environment after creation: pdal, python-pdal, gdal

Would love any help.

Thanks in advance.

Rebecca

Re: [pdal] Reprojection help

Howard Butler-3
I suspect you also need to install the proj-datumgrid package for conda

> conda install -c conda-forge proj-datumgrid-oceania proj-datumgrid-world

This should get you the grid shift files that OSGeo4W packages for you. Please file a ticket in the PDAL repository on this topic. We need to update our documentation to note this item if users expect to do any geodetic shift operations.

Howard

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 9:17 PM Rebecca Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the quick reply I installed these packages and it didn't fix the problem.
I'm specifying the grid shift file with the +geoidgrids.
I noticed on the PROJ site there was a bug fix in Sept 2019 that mentions geoidgrids, maybe that could be what's causing the issue here, but I need to investigate that further to understand it.

Thanks
Rebecca

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 5:07 PM Howard Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
I suspect you also need to install the proj-datumgrid package for conda

> conda install -c conda-forge proj-datumgrid-oceania proj-datumgrid-world

This should get you the grid shift files that OSGeo4W packages for you. Please file a ticket in the PDAL repository on this topic. We need to update our documentation to note this item if users expect to do any geodetic shift operations.

Howard

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 9:17 PM Rebecca Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi fellow PDAL'ers

So after my post last week about OSGeo4W I reverted to Conda and I'm no longer getting the results I was getting in OSGeo4W. I would love some help troubleshooting as I feel like I'm overlooking something but not sure what.

I am doing a reprojection on a las file. When I run this command in the pdal version i have in OSGeo4W a file is created and the Z values have been correctly reprojected. When I run the exact same command in the conda environment, I get a file with data in it, but there has been no change/shift to the Z value.

OSGeo4W pdal version is 1.8.0
Conda pdal version is 2.0.1

This is the command:

pdal pipeline "C:/Rebecca/las/pipeline.json" --readers.las.filename="C:/Rebecca/las/BD38_5k_0201.las" --writers.las.filename="C:/Rebecca/las/BD38_5k_0201_NZVD2016.las" --filters.reprojection.out_srs="+init=EPSG:2193 +geoidgrids=C:/Rebecca/las/moturiki-1953-to-nzvd2016-conversion.gtx"

This is the contents of pipeline.json:

{
    "pipeline" :
    [
        {
            "type":"readers.las",
            "filename":"#"
        },
        {
            "type":"filters.reprojection",
            "in_srs":"EPSG:2193",
            "out_srs":"EPSG:2193"
        },
        {
            "type":"writers.las",
            "filename":"#",
            "a_srs":"EPSG:2193",
            "forward":"all"
        }
    ]
}

These are the packages which I installed in the conda environment after creation: pdal, python-pdal, gdal

Would love any help.

Thanks in advance.

Rebecca

Re: [pdal] Reprojection help

rclarkenz
The bug fix they are referring to (which was actually May 2019 not Sept 2019, my bad)  has something to do with grids not being picked up, which feels like what's happening here.