[pdal] Potree writer/reader

dkastl
Hi list,

Before starting to add a Potree writer/reader I wanted to ask, if someone has already worked on this. I looked around but couldn't find anything.

Best regards,
Daniel

--
Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: [hidden email]

Re: [pdal] Potree writer/reader

Howard Butler-3
Is there a compelling reason to not use the Greyhound + Entwine combination?

On 12/19/17 9:57 PM, Connor Manning wrote:

> As far as I know, this has not previously been worked on.
>
> - Connor
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM, Daniel Kastl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Before starting to add a Potree writer/reader I wanted to ask, if someone
>> has already worked on this. I looked around but couldn't find anything.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Daniel
>>

>> --
>> Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
>> eMail: [hidden email]
>> Web: https://georepublic.info

Re: [pdal] Potree writer/reader

dkastl
Yes. Less software to install is the main reason.

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Howard Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a compelling reason to not use the Greyhound + Entwine combination?

On 12/19/17 9:57 PM, Connor Manning wrote:
> As far as I know, this has not previously been worked on.
>
> - Connor
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM, Daniel Kastl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Before starting to add a Potree writer/reader I wanted to ask, if someone
>> has already worked on this. I looked around but couldn't find anything.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Daniel
>>

>> --
>> Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
>> eMail: [hidden email]
>> Web: https://georepublic.info

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: [hidden email]
Web: https://georepublic.info

Re: [pdal] Potree writer/reader

adam steer-2
Hi Daniel, all

PotreeConverter exists - and is dockerised - and while not super stable it does the job :)

I had an off-list discussion with Connor a while ago about reading entwine directly using the potree viewer - without greyhound, purely for removing one extra http interface when looking at points; and using the greyhound API when we want to do stuff with points.

However, looking more deeply, it might just be a matter of figuring out how to configure my entwine build to write smaller chunks, ie topping out at  a few thousand or few hundred thousand points (happy to take assistance, I was just minutes from posting an issue on entwine and/or e-mailing ) - at the expense of more files… which is a neat segue to...

Potreeconverter writes out very many more, much smaller files than entwine; and writing out potrees is really bloaty - a 240ish GB entwine dataset turned out to be 700+GB of potree (as LASzip)!!! So this was smaller than the original LAS data by a few hundred GB, bout astoundingly larger than the LAZ’ed data and its entwine writeout.

No religious opinion about whether writers.potree should exist or not, but thought I’d share some notes

Cheers, hope that helps!

Adam

There is a pointsPerChunk option for entwine: https://entwine.io/configuration.html#points-per-chunk

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Daniel, all

PotreeConverter exists - and is dockerised - and while not super stable it does the job :)

I had an off-list discussion with Connor a while ago about reading entwine directly using the potree viewer - without greyhound, purely for removing one extra http interface when looking at points; and using the greyhound API when we want to do stuff with points.

However, looking more deeply, it might just be a matter of figuring out how to configure my entwine build to write smaller chunks, ie topping out at  a few thousand or few hundred thousand points (happy to take assistance, I was just minutes from posting an issue on entwine and/or e-mailing ) - at the expense of more files… which is a neat segue to...

Potreeconverter writes out very many more, much smaller files than entwine; and writing out potrees is really bloaty - a 240ish GB entwine dataset turned out to be 700+GB of potree (as LASzip)!!! So this was smaller than the original LAS data by a few hundred GB, bout astoundingly larger than the LAZ’ed data and its entwine writeout.

No religious opinion about whether writers.potree should exist or not, but thought I’d share some notes

Cheers, hope that helps!

Adam

On 20 December 2017 at 15:01, Daniel Kastl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes. Less software to install is the main reason.

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Howard Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a compelling reason to not use the Greyhound + Entwine combination?

On 12/19/17 9:57 PM, Connor Manning wrote:
> As far as I know, this has not previously been worked on.
>
> - Connor
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM, Daniel Kastl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Before starting to add a Potree writer/reader I wanted to ask, if someone
>> has already worked on this. I looked around but couldn't find anything.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Daniel
>>

>> --
>> Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
>> eMail: [hidden email]
>> Web: https://georepublic.info

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: [hidden email]
Web: https://georepublic.info

http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer

Re: [pdal] Potree writer/reader

dkastl
Thank you, Adam, for sharing this information!

My use case is not so much about handling very large point cloud datasets. And it's not supposed to run on a server, so as less dependencies as possible is preferred.
The Potree format, that PotreeConverter creates, does very well the job it should do. And it is very simple to serve.

I want to have an alternative for the PotreeConverter, and I think it won't be useless to have an additional writer/reader for PDAL.
I know, that there are some efforts in reducing the number of files, that PotreeConverter creates. So hopefully this disadvantage will go away.

Cheers,
Daniel