[pdal] PDAL Version 2.1 Release

andrew.bell.ia@gmail.com
Hello,

Despite the global pandemic, we've managed to scrape together version 2.1 of PDAL.  It includes many new filters for use in your point cloud analysis.  Please note that python support has been removed from the main PDAL package and is now in a separate package that must be installed in order to use Python with PDAL.  Complete release notes can be found by following the link below.

PDAL Python package: https://github.com/PDAL/python

Please write with questions or problems that aren't already logged in our github issue tracker.

Have a great weekend,

--
Andrew Bell

Re: [pdal] PDAL Version 2.1 Release

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
Will there also be a new release of the Python package?

Both the git repo and PyPI still have 2.2.2.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: [pdal] PDAL Version 2.1 Release

ginetto
waiting for a tweet announcement to retweet

tnx

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 22:32, Andrew Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Despite the global pandemic, we've managed to scrape together version 2.1 of PDAL.  It includes many new filters for use in your point cloud analysis.  Please note that python support has been removed from the main PDAL package and is now in a separate package that must be installed in order to use Python with PDAL.  Complete release notes can be found by following the link below.

PDAL Python package: https://github.com/PDAL/python

Please write with questions or problems that aren't already logged in our github issue tracker.

Have a great weekend,

--
Andrew Bell

Re: [pdal] PDAL Version 2.1 Release

Howard Butler-3

> On Mar 21, 2020, at 1:50 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Will there also be a new release of the Python package?

Yes, although I'm still having trouble getting the build scenarios of filters.python and readers.numpy correct on all platforms with setup.py. Specifically, Python the combo of static/dynamic linking of Python itself and the use by the embedded plugins. There doesn't seem to be high-level Python distutils support for building "normal shared objects", and so I have had to build a lot of my own. I expect there to be some bugs when I do roll it out.

I was hoping to polish it this next week. The nice thing about the Python stuff being removed, is it can be released at its own pace. That pace is likely to be much faster than PDAL itself going forward.

Howard

On 3/21/20 2:32 PM, Howard Butler wrote:
>> On Mar 21, 2020, at 1:50 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Will there also be a new release of the Python package?
>
> Yes, although I'm still having trouble getting the build scenarios of filters.python and readers.numpy correct on all platforms with setup.py. Specifically, Python the combo of static/dynamic linking of Python itself and the use by the embedded plugins. There doesn't seem to be high-level Python distutils support for building "normal shared objects", and so I have had to build a lot of my own. I expect there to be some bugs when I do roll it out.
>
> I was hoping to polish it this next week. The nice thing about the Python stuff being removed, is it can be released at its own pace. That pace is likely to be much faster than PDAL itself going forward.

Version 2.3.0 requires scikit-build which is not packaged for Debian and
hence blocks the update of python-pdal.

Why can't just cython & setuptools do the job?

Kind Regards,

Bas

On Mar 31, 2020, at 11:03 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

scikit-build is pip-installable and pure Python.

Because distutils/setuptools isn't a generic builder environment. scikit-build is just a CMake wrapper, which we've already used to implement build settings for the PDAL Python stages and tests. I had implemented about half of the things I needed to achieve it manually in distutils in the PR https://github.com/PDAL/python/pull/47 but it was quickly getting out of hand. It wasn't working cross-platform, and it didn't support all of the Python items either because there isn't a generic distutils compiler for "make a shared module". That's only for Python modules. I was basically building scikit-build, and I realized this after some research and pivoted to using it instead.

Once I switched to scikit-build, I was able to reuse much of the build configuration we already had, I was able to build and run the tests on all three platforms [1], and all of the configurability of the previous inside-PDAL deployment of the stages was preserved.

For those wonder why we bothered splitting things apart, the full loop of PDAL -> Numpy -> PDAL -> Numpy now works (see the Reading using Numpy Arrays example on https://pypi.org/project/PDAL/ ). This was very difficult to get working with PDAL was holding thing Python version and configuration fixed to how it was originally compiled.

Howard