path measuring tool

John R. Frank

We're discussing adding a path  measuring tool  to OpenLayers.  If you
have parts of such a tool, please consider contributing them.

A somewhat audacious set of desired features is listed here:

        http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/173

If such a tool interests you, please comment on that ticket.

John

Re: path measuring tool

Cameron Shorter
John,
Almost all of this is already coded in the vector branch - for creating
a feature on a vector layer.
All that is required is for the rendering of the vector to include
distance calculations and markers.

How accurate does your distance calculation need to be? Accurate
distance calculation will require access to the projection and
projection conversion which is not supported by OpenLayers.
There were some implementations discussed on the mapbuilder list,
although I'm not sure if they made it back into the codebase.

http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.gis.mapbuilder.devel/2006-10/msg00068.html

John R. Frank wrote:

> We're discussing adding a path  measuring tool  to OpenLayers.  If you
> have parts of such a tool, please consider contributing them.
>
> A somewhat audacious set of desired features is listed here:
>
> http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/173
>
> If such a tool interests you, please comment on that ticket.
>
> John

Cameron Shorter
Systems Architect, http://lisasoft.com.au
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5011