[osgeo4w] #466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray() on Windows

12

[osgeo4w] #466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray() on Windows

OSGeo4W
#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
-------------------+---------------------------
Reporter:  miro    |      Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect  |     Status:  new
 Version:          |   Keywords:  gdal python
-------------------+---------------------------
 I hope I am reporting this in the right place. When using '''gdal_calc'''
 on Windows in OSGeo4W_Shell or whenever using python from the OSGeo4W
 package it ends up with '''"Python.exe has stopped working"''' message
 where except of that message everything works on 100% - results are as it
 should be. Also when in python reading raster into array
 ('''band.ReadAsArray()''') causes the same thing:

 {{{
 src_ds = gdal.Open(file_name)
 band = src_ds.GetRasterBand(1)
 in_array = band.ReadAsArray()
 }}}

 Again, except error message all works just fine. The same reported on
 stackexchange by somebody else:
 http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/101921/gdal-calc-works-but-i-get-a
 -python-error-at-the-end-of-each-process-that-prevent

 The answer "disable the crash dialogs in Windows using the DontShowUI"
 works for me but still...

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466>
OSGeo4W <http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w>

Re: [osgeo4w] #466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray() on Windows

OSGeo4W
#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by akaginch):

 See also http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/145124/gdal-calc-works-
 but-i-get-a-pyhon-error-at-the-end-of-each-process

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:1>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by mcserep):

 I would like to confirm that this is still an issue and not only with
 `gdal_calc`, but also with other python tools like `gdal_merge` and
 `gdal2tiles`.

 Everything installed by OSGeo4W64 package manager,
  - GDAL version: 2.0.2
  - Python version: 2.7.5

 I reproduced this issue on multiple computers with the following operating
 systems:
  - Windows 7 x64
  - Windows 8 x64
  - Windows 10 x64

 This problem restricts writing scripts around these GDAL tools and
 disabling crash dialogs is just a nasty workaround, not a real solution.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:2>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by miro):

 GDAL 2.1.0, released 2016/04/25

 Python 2.7.5 (default, May 15 2013, 22:44:16) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]
 on win 32

 Error still persist. It is becoming more and more annoying for me because
 my colleagues started to use my scripts and I have to explain that scripts
 are working fine and the error message is fine and they just have to close
 that window all the time unless they want to play with registry keys...

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:3>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by Titsl):

 It would be nice if there would be some kind of response from GDAL on this
 issue, as it makes running batch files with these functions impossible.
 Several tickets with similar issues remain unsolved.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:4>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by jef):

 Apparently happens when the garbage collector is running as

 {{{
 import gc
 gc.disable()
 }}}

 avoids the crash.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:5>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by Titsl):

 Replying to [comment:5 jef]:
 > Apparently happens when the garbage collector is running as
 >
 > {{{
 > import gc
 > gc.disable()
 > }}}
 >
 > avoids the crash.

 Thanks for the tip!
 I included it in the script, but it does not change anything. Python still
 crashes.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:6>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by ascarth):

 This seems to be an issue with how GDAL has been built for OSGeo4W, or the
 Python version, but not with GDAL itself. I have found that python will
 crash using the OSGeo4W Shell, but not when using GDAL installed through
 [https://www.continuum.io/downloads Conda]. Both installations are using
 GDAL 2.1.0. The only other difference is that Conda uses Python 2.7.12 and
 OSGeo4W uses Python 2.7.5

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:7>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by mcserep):

 Replying to [comment:7 ascarth]:
 > This seems to be an issue with how GDAL has been built for OSGeo4W, or
 the Python version, but not with GDAL itself. I have found that python
 will crash using the OSGeo4W Shell, but not when using GDAL installed
 through [https://www.continuum.io/downloads Conda]. Both installations are
 using GDAL 2.1.0. The only other difference is that Conda uses Python
 2.7.12 and OSGeo4W uses Python 2.7.5

 Since this is the website of OSGeo4W, I think this is still a valid and
 urgent bug report, and it is really disappointing how it lacks the
 required attention. By the way I faced the same bug when I used the GDAL
 binaries from [http://gisinternals.com/ GISInternals].

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:8>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by rouault):

 The issue can be more simply reproduced when just doing "from osgeo import
 gdalnumeric" and exiting the Python
 console.

 This doesn't look like a fundamental flow of GDAL on Windows, since when
 using miniconda,
 or when building myself GDAL (with VS 2010 express, 64 bit), I don't have
 this issue.

 For the record, my build recipee for the python bindings
 - install Python 2.7.12 64bit
 - pip install numpy ==> install numpy 1.11.2
 - set DISTUTILS_USE_SDK=1
 - set MSSdk=1
 - cd gdal/swig/python
 - python setup.py build

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:9>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by jef):

 Please recheck with GDAL 2.2

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:10>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  new

Comment (by ascarth):

 Replying to [comment:10 jef]:
 > Please recheck with GDAL 2.2

 Hi jef. I have tested QGIS 2.18.8 and 2.14.15 (both built with GDAL 2.2.0)
 and neither experience the problem described above.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:11>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  closed
Changes (by jef):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Thanks

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:12>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by rldhont):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  fixed =>

Comment:

 I have just tested with QGIS 2.18.9 and the error message still remain.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:13>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by jef):

 `python bin\gdal_calc.py` crashes for me only using python 2 on 64bit. It
 works (ie. shows the help message) with python3 and for both on 32bit.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:14>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by jef):

 Updated swig (2.0.10 => 3.0.21) and rebuilt.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:15>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by rldhont):

 Hi @jef, I have tested with QGIS 2.18.10 and the error still remains.

 Do you have updated Swig ? Thanks for your time on this issue.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:16>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by jef):

 Replying to [comment:16 rldhont]:
 > Hi @jef, I have tested with QGIS 2.18.10 and the error still remains.
 >
 > Do you have updated Swig?

 yes.  see comment:15

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:17>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
------------------------+----------------------------
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by Pieter Roggemans):

 Same problem here... I don't find a "subscribe" button so I hope I'll
 receive notifications of updates if I add a comment...

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:18>

#466: Python stopped working when using python gdal_calc and band.ReadAsArray()
on Windows
Reporter:  miro         |       Owner:  osgeo4w-dev@…
    Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by andek714):

 Same problem here with gdal_merge.py from QGIS 2.18.4. Doesn't happen with
 ReadAsArray commented out and the problem is highly intermittent.

 Didn't understand the comment about swig though, is it fixed by updating
 swig? And if so, how does one update swig in the osgeo4w installation?

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/466#comment:19>