[osgeo-ph] http://yolandadata.org/

maning sambale
http://yolandadata.org/ is GeoNode-based data portal created by the
American Red Cross and WorldBank's GFDRR.  This was created during the
height of the response to Yolanda/Haiyan in order to aggregate the
many geodata created and shared for the humanitarian response.

The site was re-activated last week to commemorate 1 year of
Yolanda/Haiyan.  We are planning to maintain the site in the midterm.
Let us know if you find this site useful or what other data/features
we should include.

--
cheers,
maning

Re: [osgeo-ph] [talk-ph] http://yolandadata.org/

Nick Brown
Erwin, sadly there is no central data set for NGO projects and indeed many NGOs don't even keep data in a format that's useable. The humanitarian and development sectors are two of the least regulated and monitored industries I've ever come across. NGOs are only accountable to their donors, and even then are not very accountable.

OPARR's platform for monitoring government projects will be at http://www.mpathyproject.com/index.html - but this project has been fraught with problems and still isn't up and running in most places. It is supposed to take over from the FAITH platform - http://www.gov.ph/faith/.

The OpenGov team is running http://openreconstruction.gov.ph/home which has better transparency than the FAITH platform.

++++

Maning, great site. Is it hosted using the newer Geonode v2? I think this is the 5th data repository for Philippines-specific data I've come across? Might there be a way we could consolidate efforts?

There are 73 datasets for the Philippines listed at http://www.humanitarianresponse.info/search/type/hr_dataset?search=philippines

The most comprehensive list of datasets I've found is at http://philgis.org/freegisdata.htm and they've got a list of over a hundred desired datasets at http://philgis.org/desiredgisdata.htm

There are 76 datasets listed at http://catalog.geoportal.gov.ph/layers/ (this site has gotten much better in the last couple months)

NAMRIA's spacial dataset list is down but should be found at http://www.namria.gov.ph/spatialData.aspx

There is also the http://data.gov.ph/ portal which has lots of data, but not in the easiest format to navigate.

Here are some notes I made recently about useful datasets it would be great to get our hands on. Some may not exist but we could develop them at some point.
  • appropriate contacts from each national government agencies that NGOs should liaise with
  • list and locations of hospitals, clinics and health centers from DOH (how does it compare to what's already in OSM?)
  • list and locations of schools from DepEd
  • list, location and capacity of evacuation centers from DILG
  • list and location of power production facilities from DPWH
  • administrative borders down to barangay level - I believe there are more than one competing data set, I have NAMRIA's but apparently there is a better set somewhere
  • list, location and broadcast range of radio towers
  • list, location and broadcast range of cellphone towers
  • list and location of town and barangay halls from DILG
  • socioeconomic vulnerability data on 4Ps Program / National Housing Targeting System (NHTS) from DSWD

Cheers,

Nick

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Erwin Olario <[hidden email]> wrote:

As a site that promotes data transparency for efforts related to Yolanda, what I would love to see is how the government and aid organizations are allocating resources, re-building communities, or providing on the ground support for recovery in these areas. More than just plans, I hope to see the status of these projects, and where the finances are being handled.

It seems to me that the national government's efforts are not just slow, they seem to be going nowhere.

Erwin Olario
» email: [hidden email]ngnuITy.net | [hidden email]
» mobile: (PHL): <a href="tel:%2B63%20908%20817%202013" value="+639088172013" target="_blank">+63 908 817 2013
» OpenPGP key: 3A93D56B | 5D42 7CCB 8827 9046 1ACB 0B94 63A4 81CE 3A93 D56B