orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

ivan22
Hello there, merry christmas to all.

I am in the process of familiarising myself with the excellent OSSIM
package.. my objective is to orthorectify jpegs taken vertically from
a plane using a standard consumer camera (with good EXIF tags), along
with telemetry logs containing the gps center point, roll, pitch, yaw,
and altitude. I have a DEM for the area in question.

After reading through the docs i see that i need to define a sensor
model for the photos, however it may be possible that I can use either
the 'ossimApplanixUtmModel' or the 'ossimFcsiModel' , as they take the
parameters that i have regarding plane attitude etc. I gather that i
need to create a geometry file for every jpeg to provide the inputs
for the model for each frame.. and there is a handy utility to do this
if the input is in Applanix format, unfortunately mine aren't.

so my question is:
is there a description somewhere of the necessary syntax of a
'geometry file', as well as a (short) description of the various
parameters in it for the various sensor models ? i see them in the
source code and can continue based solely on that but I feel like i am
not finding something somewhere.

ok thanks very much,  and happy holiday season.

-i

Re: orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

David Burken
Hi,

Unfortunately we don't have any documentation on that.  I've placed two
real applanix geometry files in svn just now that you can at least use
as a template in:

ossim/etc/templates/applanix_ecef.geom
ossim/etc/templates/applanix_utm.geom

So if you do an svn update you will see those.  These were generated
with the application ossim-applanix2ogeom:

$ ossim-applanix2ogeom sn0085D_25Jan2011_camfile.txt
event1_eo_110625_1.txt 17657707.tif
$ ossim-applanix2ogeom  sn0056.kwl eo_ECEF_050629.txt 18056119.tif

The app takes applanix eo and camera files though so not sure if that
would help you.

On a related note, we have a need to parse exif tags but the data are on
a restricted network and I need some sample data to code. Could you
provide me with sample data?

Take care,
Dave

On 12/27/2012 06:41 AM, ivan wrote:

> Hello there, merry christmas to all.
>
> I am in the process of familiarising myself with the excellent OSSIM
> package.. my objective is to orthorectify jpegs taken vertically from
> a plane using a standard consumer camera (with good EXIF tags), along
> with telemetry logs containing the gps center point, roll, pitch, yaw,
> and altitude. I have a DEM for the area in question.
>
> After reading through the docs i see that i need to define a sensor
> model for the photos, however it may be possible that I can use either
> the 'ossimApplanixUtmModel' or the 'ossimFcsiModel' , as they take the
> parameters that i have regarding plane attitude etc. I gather that i
> need to create a geometry file for every jpeg to provide the inputs
> for the model for each frame.. and there is a handy utility to do this
> if the input is in Applanix format, unfortunately mine aren't.
>
> so my question is:
> is there a description somewhere of the necessary syntax of a
> 'geometry file', as well as a (short) description of the various
> parameters in it for the various sensor models ? i see them in the
> source code and can continue based solely on that but I feel like i am
> not finding something somewhere.
>

> ok thanks very much,  and happy holiday season.
>
> -i

Re: orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

ivan22
Thanks David,

i will have a look at those new geom files to try to build my own geom files.

regarding EXIF data.. i think any modern digital camera writes out
EXIF headers in the jpegs..

i also stumped upon this site:

http://www.sensefly.com/applications/mapping

if you follow 'link to folder' there are example jpegs taken from a
uav, containing EXIF tags. note I am a 'weekend coder' doing a holiday
project, so i cannot vouch for the licensing/use of that data, it
certainly has nothing to do with me.

thanks again for your help,

-i

On 27 December 2012 13:56, David Burken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately we don't have any documentation on that.  I've placed two real
> applanix geometry files in svn just now that you can at least use as a
> template in:
>
> ossim/etc/templates/applanix_ecef.geom
> ossim/etc/templates/applanix_utm.geom
>
> So if you do an svn update you will see those.  These were generated with
> the application ossim-applanix2ogeom:
>
> $ ossim-applanix2ogeom sn0085D_25Jan2011_camfile.txt event1_eo_110625_1.txt
> 17657707.tif
> $ ossim-applanix2ogeom  sn0056.kwl eo_ECEF_050629.txt 18056119.tif
>
> The app takes applanix eo and camera files though so not sure if that would
> help you.
>
> On a related note, we have a need to parse exif tags but the data are on a
> restricted network and I need some sample data to code. Could you provide me
> with sample data?
>
> Take care,
> Dave
>

> On 12/27/2012 06:41 AM, ivan wrote:
>>
>> Hello there, merry christmas to all.
>>
>> I am in the process of familiarising myself with the excellent OSSIM
>> package.. my objective is to orthorectify jpegs taken vertically from
>> a plane using a standard consumer camera (with good EXIF tags), along
>> with telemetry logs containing the gps center point, roll, pitch, yaw,
>> and altitude. I have a DEM for the area in question.
>>
>> After reading through the docs i see that i need to define a sensor
>> model for the photos, however it may be possible that I can use either
>> the 'ossimApplanixUtmModel' or the 'ossimFcsiModel' , as they take the
>> parameters that i have regarding plane attitude etc. I gather that i
>> need to create a geometry file for every jpeg to provide the inputs
>> for the model for each frame.. and there is a handy utility to do this
>> if the input is in Applanix format, unfortunately mine aren't.
>>
>> so my question is:
>> is there a description somewhere of the necessary syntax of a
>> 'geometry file', as well as a (short) description of the various
>> parameters in it for the various sensor models ? i see them in the
>> source code and can continue based solely on that but I feel like i am
>> not finding something somewhere.
>>

>> ok thanks very much,  and happy holiday season.
>>
>> -i

Re: orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

David Burken
Thanks Ivan I'll check it out...

Note my goal is to create a projection from the exif tags on jpeg open.
Minimal a  ossimBilinearProjection from corners.  Ideal would be a
camera model.  So once in core, you might not need your external
geometry file.  I have two hot things on my list so not sure when I'll
get to this.

Take care,
Dave

On 12/27/2012 03:27 PM, ivan wrote:

> [...]
>>> parameters that i have regarding plane attitude etc. I gather that i
>>> need to create a geometry file for every jpeg to provide the inputs
>>> for the model for each frame.. and there is a handy utility to do this
>>> if the input is in Applanix format, unfortunately mine aren't.
>>>
>>> so my question is:
>>> is there a description somewhere of the necessary syntax of a
>>> 'geometry file', as well as a (short) description of the various
>>> parameters in it for the various sensor models ? i see them in the
>>> source code and can continue based solely on that but I feel like i am
>>> not finding something somewhere.
>>>

>>> ok thanks very much,  and happy holiday season.
>>>
>>> -i

>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ossim-developer

Re: orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

scott bortman
Maybe this will help:

for OSSIM geom file,   I think you can do either this:

dpt0: (0.0, 0.0)
dpt1: (${width}, 0.0)
dpt2: (${width}, ${height})
dpt3: (0.0, 496)
gpt0: (${maxLat}, ${minLon}, 0.0, WGE)
gpt1: (${maxLat}, ${maxLon}, 0.0, WGE)
gpt2: (${minLat}, ${maxLon}, 0.0, WGE)
gpt3: (${minLat}, ${minLon}, 0.0, WGE)
type: ossimBilinearProjection

Or this:

ground_points: (${maxLat},${minLon},0,WGE) (${maxLat},${maxLon},0,WGE) (${minLat},${maxLon},0,WGE) (${minLat},${minLon},0,WGE)
image_points: (0,0) (${width},0) (${width},${height}) (0,${height})
type: ossimBilinearProjection

The latter only works in OMAR 1.8.14 and above,  I think.

Hope this helps,
--scottie

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM, David Burken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> parameters that i have regarding plane attitude etc. I gather that i
>>> need to create a geometry file for every jpeg to provide the inputs
>>> for the model for each frame.. and there is a handy utility to do this
>>> if the input is in Applanix format, unfortunately mine aren't.
>>>
>>> so my question is:
>>> is there a description somewhere of the necessary syntax of a
>>> 'geometry file', as well as a (short) description of the various
>>> parameters in it for the various sensor models ? i see them in the
>>> source code and can continue based solely on that but I feel like i am
>>> not finding something somewhere.
>>>

>>> ok thanks very much,  and happy holiday season.
>>>
>>> -i

>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ossim-developer

Re: orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

Norman Vine
Hey this is getting close to what I think is desired

given camera position, orientation and possibly poly coefficients of lens distortion

e.g.  given lat,lon,height, roll,pitch,yaw of camera
or               X,Y,Z,roll,pitch,yaw   e.g.  boresight in Applanix speak

can we easily build a .geom file

Cheers

Norman

On Dec 28, 2012, at 10:21 AM, scott bortman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> parameters that i have regarding plane attitude etc. I gather that i
>>> need to create a geometry file for every jpeg to provide the inputs
>>> for the model for each frame.. and there is a handy utility to do this
>>> if the input is in Applanix format, unfortunately mine aren't.
>>>
>>> so my question is:
>>> is there a description somewhere of the necessary syntax of a
>>> 'geometry file', as well as a (short) description of the various
>>> parameters in it for the various sensor models ? i see them in the
>>> source code and can continue based solely on that but I feel like i am
>>> not finding something somewhere.
>>>

>>> ok thanks very much,  and happy holiday season.
>>>
>>> -i

>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ossim-developer

Re: orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

jono
To generate the .geom files you can use ossim-appanix2ogeom with an exterior_orientation_file generated from the data in the exif/telemetry. You will need to calculate omega phi and kappa from the roll pitch and heading. . I have a script somewhere that would do that, but it is fairly straight forward to rotate into the OPK frame.

Example eo files available at:
http://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/katrina/Trajectories.zip

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM, ivan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> the 'ossimApplanixUtmModel' or the 'ossimFcsiModel' , as they take the
>> parameters that i have regarding plane attitude etc. I gather that i
>> need to create a geometry file for every jpeg to provide the inputs
>> for the model for each frame.. and there is a handy utility to do this
>> if the input is in Applanix format, unfortunately mine aren't.
>>
>> so my question is:
>> is there a description somewhere of the necessary syntax of a
>> 'geometry file', as well as a (short) description of the various
>> parameters in it for the various sensor models ? i see them in the
>> source code and can continue based solely on that but I feel like i am
>> not finding something somewhere.
>>

>> ok thanks very much,  and happy holiday season.
>>
>> -i

Re: orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

Hi Norm,

The ossimIpodSensor looks to be the most generic camera model and has a platform position as a ground point.  Don't see any templates so you'd have to look at the ossimIpodSensor::loadState.  Garrett may have some geom files for that?

Dave

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_122812

Re: orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

Norman Vine
Thanks Dave

That looks like the perfect starting point  :-)

Cheers

Norman

On Dec 28, 2012, at 11:08 AM, David Burken <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Norm,

Stub attached.  If you get something with real values I'll put in
ossim/etc/templates.  This has nothing initialized it's just from a save
state.  Used "ossim-foo" test app.  Did:
    try
    {
       // Put your code here.
       ossimIpodSensor model;
       ossimKeywordlist kwl;
       model.saveState(kwl, 0);
       kwl.write("/tmp/ipod_sensor.geom");

    }

Hope that helps,
Dave

$ cat /tmp/ipod_sensor.geom
adjustment_0.adj_param_0.center:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_0.description:  lon_offset
adjustment_0.adj_param_0.lock_flag:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_0.parameter:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_0.sigma:  0.001
adjustment_0.adj_param_0.units:  degrees
adjustment_0.adj_param_1.center:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_1.description:  lat_offset
adjustment_0.adj_param_1.lock_flag:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_1.parameter:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_1.sigma:  0.001
adjustment_0.adj_param_1.units:  degrees
adjustment_0.adj_param_2.center:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_2.description:  roll
adjustment_0.adj_param_2.lock_flag:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_2.parameter:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_2.sigma:  10
adjustment_0.adj_param_2.units:  degrees
adjustment_0.adj_param_3.center:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_3.description:  pitch
adjustment_0.adj_param_3.lock_flag:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_3.parameter:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_3.sigma:  10
adjustment_0.adj_param_3.units:  degrees
adjustment_0.adj_param_4.center:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_4.description:  yaw
adjustment_0.adj_param_4.lock_flag:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_4.parameter:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_4.sigma:  10
adjustment_0.adj_param_4.units:  degrees
adjustment_0.adj_param_5.center:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_5.description:  Altitude delta
adjustment_0.adj_param_5.lock_flag:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_5.parameter:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_5.sigma:  100
adjustment_0.adj_param_5.units:  meters
adjustment_0.adj_param_6.center:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_6.description:  focal length delta
adjustment_0.adj_param_6.lock_flag:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_6.parameter:  0
adjustment_0.adj_param_6.sigma:  0.04
adjustment_0.adj_param_6.units:  meters
adjustment_0.description:  Initial adjustment
adjustment_0.dirty_flag:  0
adjustment_0.number_of_params:  7
ce90_absolute:  0
ce90_relative:  0
current_adjustment:  0
focal_length:  4.57504788048994e-321
image_id:
image_size:  (0,0)
ll_lat:  0
ll_lon:  0
lr_lat:  0
lr_lon:  0
meters_per_pixel_x:  0
meters_per_pixel_y:  0
number_lines:  0
number_of_adjustments:  1
number_samples:  0
pitch:  1.19112572855577e-312
pixel_size:  (0,0)
platform_position:  (0,0,0,WGE)
principal_point:  (0,0)
rect:  0 0 0 0
ref_point_hgt:  0
ref_point_lat:  0
ref_point_line:  0
ref_point_lon:  0
ref_point_samp:  0
roll:  0
sensor:  Ipod
type:  ossimIpodSensor
ul_lat:  0
ul_lon:  0
ur_lat:  0
ur_lon:  0
yaw:  1.1917510438916e-312

On 12/28/2012 11:17 AM, Norman Vine wrote:

> Thanks Dave
>
> That looks like the perfect starting point  :-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Norman
>
> On Dec 28, 2012, at 11:08 AM, David Burken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Norm,
>>
>> The ossimIpodSensor looks to be the most generic camera model and has a platform position as a ground point.  Don't see any templates so you'd have to look at the ossimIpodSensor::loadState.  Garrett may have some geom files for that?
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On 12/28/2012 10:34 AM, Norman Vine wrote:
>>> Hey this is getting close to what I think is desired
>>>
>>> given camera position, orientation and possibly poly coefficients of lens distortion
>>>
>>> e.g.  given lat,lon,height, roll,pitch,yaw of camera
>>> or               X,Y,Z,roll,pitch,yaw   e.g.  boresight in Applanix speak
>>>
>>> can we easily build a .geom file
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Norman

>>> Master HTML5, CSS3, ASP.NET, MVC, AJAX, Knockout.js, Web API and
>>> much more. Get web development skills now with LearnDevNow -
>>> 350+ hours of step-by-step video tutorials by Microsoft MVPs and experts.
>>> SALE $99.99 this month only -- learn more at:
>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_122812

>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ossim-developer

Re: orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

chaitanya_ch
David,

I have photos like ivan has. The ossimIpodSensor is asking for corner coordinates. I only have the camera position (lat/lon/elev) and orientation(pitch/roll/yaw). I also have the camera details: pixel dimensions, focal length, principal point, sensor dimensions, etc.

What is the best sensor model and projection to set up my data in a .geom file?

Re: orthorectification of jpeg photo frame - syntax of geometry file

Andyjo
You should look at the Applanix or Buckeye sensor models, although they won't match your input format, you can use them as a starting point to building your own model. If it's just one image, you might just want to create an input format that matches an existing sensor model (hacky I know, but if you're not going to be doing it over and over again, it might work for you)

-Andy