okay foss4g time to move off of Flickr

jody.garnett
Flickr announced a 1000 picture cap (https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/) so we may need to rescue some of our early foss4g pictures.

Any good recommendations?
--
Jody Garnett

Re: okay foss4g time to move off of Flickr

Nicolas Roelandt
Maybe an instance of pixelfed?

So we host our services ourselves.

Best,

Nicolas Roelandt

Le ven. 2 nov. 2018 à 22:32, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Flickr announced a 1000 picture cap (https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/) so we may need to rescue some of our early foss4g pictures.

Any good recommendations?
--
Jody Garnett

Re: okay foss4g time to move off of Flickr

Tom Chadwin
Geocities.

Tom

Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Flickr announced a 1000 picture cap (https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/) so we may need to rescue some of our early foss4g pictures.

Any good recommendations?
--
Jody Garnett

Tom Chadwin, ICT Manager
Telephone: 01434 611530 Mob:
Web: www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk

IMPORTANT NOTICE - Disclaimer - This communication is from Northumberland National Park Authority (NNPA).The Authority’s head office and principal place of business is Eastburn, South Park, Hexham, Northumberland, NE46 1BS, United Kingdom. If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of disclosure, distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it or in any attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the email and destroy any copies of it. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of NNPA.Contractors or potential contractors are reminded that a formal Order or Contract is needed for NNPA to be bound by any offer or acceptance of terms for the supply of goods or services Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defects which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received, no responsibility is accepted by the NNPA for any loss or damage arising in any way from the receipt or use thereof. Computer systems of this Authority may be monitored and communications carried out on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purpose.

Re: okay foss4g time to move off of Flickr

Manuel GRIZONNET

if hosting the service ourselves is not an option there is also the solution for OSGeo to pay 4.17$/month to Flickr to have unlimited storage:

https://www.flickr.com/account/upgrade/pro

Le 02/11/2018 à 23:56, Jody Garnett a écrit :
I figured out what makes me sad about this ... many of the pictures in our foss4g group are not marked creative commons so we are gong to have to let them go...
--
Jody Garnett

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 at 16:31, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Flickr announced a 1000 picture cap (https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/) so we may need to rescue some of our early foss4g pictures.

Any good recommendations?
--
Jody Garnett

Manuel GRIZONNET

Re: okay foss4g time to move off of Flickr

Sandro Santilli-4
On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 03:02:54PM +0100, Manuel Grizonnet wrote:
> if hosting the service ourselves is not an option there is also the solution
> for OSGeo to pay 4.17$/month to Flickr to have unlimited storage:

Hosting the service ourselves IS an option, we just need to provide
some resources to that. Mediagobling sounds like a perfect match:
https://mediagoblin.org/

I suggest filing a ticket for SAC to deal with.
Do you have an idea about the amount of space needed ?

--strk;

Re: okay foss4g time to move off of Flickr

jody.garnett
I wonder if we can do so as an organization, our model for photos was to ask individuals to upload and add to the group.

If we paid (no problem with that) we would need to share the credentials. Or sort out if we could copy photos into our professional account.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 6:00 AM Manuel Grizonnet <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

James Klassen-2
It seems a shame to throw away historical documents.

I'm not at all informed about Flickr, but I suspect it keeps track of who contributed a photo.  Why can't we just asked whoever contributed non-CC pictures if they would be willing to mark them CC?

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018, 17:57 Jody Garnett <[hidden email] wrote:
I figured out what makes me sad about this ... many of the pictures in our foss4g group are not marked creative commons so we are gong to have to let them go...
--
Jody Garnett

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 at 16:31, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Flickr announced a 1000 picture cap (https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/) so we may need to rescue some of our early foss4g pictures.

Any good recommendations?
--
Jody Garnett

Re: okay foss4g time to move off of Flickr

Barry Rowlingson
Here's an idea that may be in keeping with the OSGeo ethos: Textile
Photos: https://www.textile.photos/

Its built on IPFS, a decentralised file system. https://ipfs.io/

Textile is currently in beta, and there might be a queue for accounts.
But if OSGeo wants to get in on the whole "decentralised web" thing,
this might be a way in.

Barry

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:32 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Flickr announced a 1000 picture cap (https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/) so we may need to rescue some of our early foss4g pictures.
>
> Any good recommendations?
> --
> Jody Garnett

Re: okay foss4g time to move off of Flickr

NikosAlexandris
* Nicolas Roelandt <[hidden email]> [2018-11-02 22:42:23 +0100]:

>Maybe an instance of pixelfed?
>
>https://pixelfed.social/

This is really a good one! Just registered and tried it.
It seems pixelfed is Instagram done right (although I have no
Instagram account to know what it really is).

Thanks for sharing this link.

Nikos