numeric-numpy-scipy for graphs?

Michael Barton
numeric-numpy-scipy for graphs? We need to create a graph/plot for at least 2 functions in the wxgrass GUI—profile plotting and histogramming. I did the TclTk profile module with just standard graphic calls. However, wxPython has a very nice plot control:PyPlot. It has lots of nice options, including ways to save the plot easily.

BUT, it requires numeric or numarray — which have been superceded by numpy or scipy. These are as available the main python package and provide a rich scientific computing library for Python and wxPython. It looks like these are available for all platforms either as binary or source files. However, it would be another dependency.

So what do you think? Should I install numpy (or scipy) and try the PyPlot or just create these modules with simple graphics?

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: numeric-numpy-scipy for graphs?

William Kyngesburye
I wouldn't mind.  As a bit of perspective, the GDAL Python interface
uses Numeric for it's old bindings and Numpy for its new bindings, so
either will be something many GRASS users will probably have.

On Apr 22, 2007, at 1:45 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> We need to create a graph/plot for at least 2 functions in the
> wxgrass GUI—profile plotting and histogramming. I did the TclTk
> profile module with just standard graphic calls. However, wxPython
> has a very nice plot control:PyPlot. It has lots of nice options,
> including ways to save the plot easily.
>
> BUT, it requires numeric or numarray — which have been superceded
> by numpy or scipy. These are as available the main python package
> and provide a rich scientific computing library for Python and
> wxPython. It looks like these are available for all platforms
> either as binary or source files. However, it would be another
> dependency.
>
> So what do you think? Should I install numpy (or scipy) and try the
> PyPlot or just create these modules with simple graphics?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin