notice: SAC approval of Request for Services for OSGeo4W project

notice: SAC approval of Request for Services for OSGeo4W project

Jeff McKenna-2
Board,

SAC has voted to approve a Request for Services for the OSGeo4W project.
   Shawn Barnes has volunteered to be the administrator for the new Trac
and SVN instances.

-jeff

Re: notice: SAC approval of Request for Services for OSGeo4W project

Frank Warmerdam
Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Board,
>
> SAC has voted to approve a Request for Services for the OSGeo4W project.
>   Shawn Barnes has volunteered to be the administrator for the new Trac
> and SVN instances.

Folks,

To clarify this is our notice of opportunity to object to SAC providing
hosting for the OSGeo4W project (for instance on legal, or strategic grounds).

OSGeo4W is an win32 installer for a variety of OSGeo and other FOSS project
software.  Principle contributors include myself, Jeff, and Assefa.  You can
read more about it at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo4W

Re: notice: SAC approval of Request for Services for OSGeo4W project

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo)

On Fri, March 28, 2008 16:34, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Jeff McKenna wrote:
>
>> Board,
>>

>> SAC has voted to approve a Request for Services for the OSGeo4W
>> project. Shawn Barnes has volunteered to be the administrator for the
>> new Trac and SVN instances.
>
> Folks,
>

> To clarify this is our notice of opportunity to object to SAC providing
> hosting for the OSGeo4W project (for instance on legal, or strategic
> grounds).
>
> OSGeo4W is an win32 installer for a variety of OSGeo and other FOSS
> project software.  Principle contributors include myself, Jeff, and
> Assefa.  You can
> read more about it at:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo4W
>

> Best regards,

The only argument that I have against this project is that it furthers and
promotes the use of Windows as a platform. Microsoft still being one of
the prime opposing voices to Open Source (although a lot more moderately
nowadays) does make me wonder why we would want to support it - especially
with an extra effort.

I felt the need to clarify that I definitely favor a solution that will
promote FOSS beyond our primary target.

Having said this I vote +1 for SAC to go ahead because our mission is not
to fight proprietary operating system platforms but to promote free
geospatial. Many potential users are still tied to Windows for reasons
beyond their influence and denying them spatial FOSS would be detrimental
to our mission.

OSGeo should look into officially endorsing this project because it will
help people to get it past the gate of their data center if they can point
to an authority. It will also be a good argument when working with
restricted architectures that abhor anything not distributed by a major
label.

Best regards & have a nice weekend,

--
Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com

Re: notice: SAC approval of Request for Services for OSGeo4W project

Jeroen Ticheler-3
+1 from me too. This is a very welcome project that I'm sure will be
just what is needed for many people stuck on Windows to easily use the
OSGeo software.

I remember having indicated to be willing to add GeoNetwork to the
stack. I don't see it anymore. Was it dropped for a reason?

Ciao,
Jeroen

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> OSGeo should look into officially endorsing this project because it will
> help people to get it past the gate of their data center if they can point
> to an authority. It will also be a good argument when working with
> restricted architectures that abhor anything not distributed by a major
> label.

Arnulf,

It is our hope to have OSGeo4W enter incubation at some point this year
once it has accumulated a sufficient packaging community to be justifiable.
I also hope that OSGeo4W will be considered the endorsed OSGeo distribution
for windows though I'm not really sure what process we would go through
to make that happen.

As for supporting proprietary windows, it isn't my favorite environment
but I'm much more interested in promoting FOSS geospatial software rather
than FOSS OS software.  I often make the point when speaking about OSGeo
(and GDAL) that it is cross platform and moving FOSS4G does not mean having
to make a move to Linux.  I think there are already pretty good options
(FGS, Debian GIS) for Linux though once the OSGeo4W house is in order,
I'd like to look at better OSGeo support for Linux too.