(no subject)

Rafeeqah Kamish
Good Afternoon All

I am hoping someone could please assist me or direct me to an institution / website where I can obtain the following data:

  • Geology
  • Dolomite
  • Ridges and
  • Agricultural potential

The study area is Gauteng and the City of Tshwane.

Your assistance in this regard would be appreciated.

Regards

Rafeeqah

Re: (no subject)

Zinhle Ngubane

Hi Rafeeqah,

  • Agricultural potential – I know there’s a layer called GAPA (Gauteng Agricultural Potential) which I think you can get from GDARD.

Zinhle Ngubane
GIS Technologist

JG Afrika (Pty) Ltd

Tel: +27 33 343 6700 | Fax: +27 33 343 6701
Email: [hidden email] | Web: http://www.jgafrika.com
6 Pin Oak Avenue, Hilton, Pietermaritzburg, 3201, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
P.O. Box 794, Hilton, 3245, South Africa

JG Afrika is a level 1 B-BBEE contributor and is ISO 9001:2015 certified for its full range of services
Email Legal Notice: http://www.jgafrika.com/emailpolicy.pdf

SAICE Western Cape Awards 2017

Geocoding list of Townships

Charles Gayi-2

I have a list of townships in South Africa. I was wondering if one can help me to geocode these townships  in order to be used in GIS..

Kind Regards

Re: Geocoding list of Townships

Chris Berens

On 13 February 2018 at 13:13, Charles Gayi <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have a list of townships in South Africa. I was wondering if one can help me to geocode these townships  in order to be used in GIS..

 Hi Charles,

Maybe post one of your data records with its field headers.  If you just have a list of places then there will probably be duplicates; e.g. Enkanini.

You could try geo-coding to the StatsSA sub place layer or maybe get hold of the DWAF Communities data set.  The SA Gazetteer may help.  Whichever way you go you will need some additional form of descriptor such as a ward or main place to distinguish between duplicate place names.

Best wishes,
Chris

--
Chris Berens, Pr.GISc
SAGC No.1308

Re: Geocoding list of Townships

Viwe Morara

Hi Charles,

QGIS tutorials can assist you, there is a whole chapter on Geocoding.

Regards

Viwe Morara

I have a list of townships in South Africa. I was wondering if one can help me to geocode these townships  in order to be used in GIS..

Kind Regards

Re: Geocoding list of Townships

Mario Carrera-3

Hi Charles,

you can use the geocoding tool in gvSIG:

https://blog.gvsig.org/2018/01/29/gis-applied-to-municipality-management-module-8-1-creation-of-point-layers-from-tables-geocoding-points-from-a-table-with-addresses/

gvSIG is open source and you can download it from www.gvsig.com

King regards,
  Mario

Hi,

On 2018-02-13 12:24, Theo Phiri wrote:

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Rafeeqah Kamish <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good Afternoon All

I am hoping someone could please assist me or direct me to an institution / website where I can obtain the following data:

    • Geology
    • Dolomite
    • Ridges and
    • Agricultural potential

The study area is Gauteng and the City of Tshwane.

Your assistance in this regard would be appreciated.

Regards

Rafeeqah

Mario Carrera

Training, Language and Communication Manager. gvSIG Association

Responsable de Formación, Internacionalización y Difusión. Asociación gvSIG

http://www.gvsig.com

Re: Geocoding list of Townships

Charles Gayi-2

Hi,

The only fields in the data is the province and the township name. I do not have the normal fields of address and street name. How can I geocode this?

Kind Regards

Re: Geocoding list of Townships

Mario Carrera-3

Hi Charles,

it's the same thing. You can search any element that you would search in Google Maps: cities, addresses, monuments, museums, churches...

There are several geocoders that you can use.

Kind regards,
  Mario

El 13/02/18 a las 12:49, Charles Gayi escribió:

Hi,

The only fields in the data is the province and the township name. I do not have the normal fields of address and street name. How can I geocode this?

Kind Regards

Re: (no subject)

CJ Sikasula

Thanks for the link

Regards

Chaila Joshua Sikasula MSc. GIS, MBA, RPAS Pilot, GPr GISc 1431

Principal Geospatial Consultant

2nd Floor, Building 1, Golder House

Maxwell Office Park,

Magwa Crescent West