(no subject)

Zibusiso Ncube
Map algebra for raster is easy on desktop packages and through hardcoding through Python or R. I want to implement an online solution that takes base data (created on desktop) and does some raster algebra on  it in a web GIS server environment such as GeoServer or MapServer.

Basically what I want to achieve is to do simple things like dividing two images and generate a third, ratio image to be displayed in the webpage.

Is this feasible? If yes... how can this be done and where can I get help or examples. (Preferred server choice is geoserver, if anyone has knowledge about this)

You assistance/direction  will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Zibusiso

--
Regards

Zibusiso M Ncube

Re: (no subject)

gavinf
Hi Zibusiso

> On 11 Sep 2017, at 10:24, Zibusiso Ncube <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Map algebra for raster is easy on desktop packages and through hardcoding through Python or R. I want to implement an online solution that takes base data (created on desktop) and does some raster algebra on  it in a web GIS server environment such as GeoServer or MapServer.

You can do it through GeoServer’s WPS (http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/wps/operations.html), or various other WPS implementations such as PyWPS (http://pywps.org/) where you have all of GRASS raster algebra available, or even QGIS WPS (https://github.com/3liz/qgis-wps4server)

Or try https://geotrellis.io/

Gavin

> Basically what I want to achieve is to do simple things like dividing two images and generate a third, ratio image to be displayed in the webpage.
>
> Is this feasible? If yes... how can this be done and where can I get help or examples. (Preferred server choice is geoserver, if anyone has knowledge about this)
>
> You assistance/direction  will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zibusiso
>

> --
> Regards
>
> Zibusiso M Ncube

Re: (no subject)

Fenoy Gerald
Dear Zibusiso,
as you are asking for a solution that process data on server side, I guess the best way is to use WPS.

Depending on what you want to do with your data, you may need to use GDAL, GRASS, SAGA-GIS, OTB or another library/engine. As you can see from here [1] all those engines are supported in the ZOO-Project.

In case you want to use raster processing without having to create your own web application but are willing to publish generated web applications providing raster processing. Then you may try the MapMint software [2] directly, this way you can process your raster data.

[1] http://www.zoo-project.org/Resources/Examples
[2] http://geolabs.fr/dl/2017/_build/html/

Gérald Fenoy
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Djay

> Le 11 sept. 2017 à 10:24, Zibusiso Ncube <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Map algebra for raster is easy on desktop packages and through hardcoding through Python or R. I want to implement an online solution that takes base data (created on desktop) and does some raster algebra on  it in a web GIS server environment such as GeoServer or MapServer.
>

> Basically what I want to achieve is to do simple things like dividing two images and generate a third, ratio image to be displayed in the webpage.
>
> Is this feasible? If yes... how can this be done and where can I get help or examples. (Preferred server choice is geoserver, if anyone has knowledge about this)
>
> You assistance/direction  will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zibusiso
>

> --
> Regards
>
> Zibusiso M Ncube

Re: (no subject)

Zibusiso Ncube
Hi Fenoy

Thanks a mil. Let me follow the wps route you give. Its what most people are suggested on stackoverflow.

I will also look into the other solutions you suggest... steep learning curve ahead to be done quick.

Thank you very much once again.

Regards,

Zibusiso

On Monday, September 11, 2017, Fenoy Gerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Zibusiso,
as you are asking for a solution that process data on server side, I guess the best way is to use WPS.

Depending on what you want to do with your data, you may need to use GDAL, GRASS, SAGA-GIS, OTB or another library/engine. As you can see from here [1] all those engines are supported in the ZOO-Project.

In case you want to use raster processing without having to create your own web application but are willing to publish generated web applications providing raster processing. Then you may try the MapMint software [2] directly, this way you can process your raster data.

[1] http://www.zoo-project.org/Resources/Examples
[2] http://geolabs.fr/dl/2017/_build/html/

Gérald Fenoy
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Djay

> Le 11 sept. 2017 à 10:24, Zibusiso Ncube <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;ncubezedm@gmail.com&#39;)">ncubezedm@...> a écrit :
>
> Map algebra for raster is easy on desktop packages and through hardcoding through Python or R. I want to implement an online solution that takes base data (created on desktop) and does some raster algebra on  it in a web GIS server environment such as GeoServer or MapServer.
>

> Basically what I want to achieve is to do simple things like dividing two images and generate a third, ratio image to be displayed in the webpage.
>
> Is this feasible? If yes... how can this be done and where can I get help or examples. (Preferred server choice is geoserver, if anyone has knowledge about this)
>
> You assistance/direction  will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zibusiso
>

> --
> Regards