(no subject)

Sergio Zárate Pedroche
Hi,
I have a problem with RGB complement. The installer says: "no module named gdal". I installed from binaries for Mac using Tiger 10.4.11.
In a different issue, QGIS will not read volumes (an external firewire drive).
Thanks for comments!

Dr. Sergio Zárate Pedroche
José María Arroyo 228
Morelia, 58341, Michoacán
Tel. (443) 352-5307
Cel. (443) 438-6212

Re: (no subject)

William Kyngesburye
On Oct 16, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Sergio Zárate Pedroche wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a problem with RGB complement. The installer says: "no module
> named gdal". I installed from binaries for Mac using Tiger 10.4.11.

Which binary - my framework-based, or Tom's all-in-one?

Which Qgis version?

> In a different issue, QGIS will not read volumes (an external
> firewire drive).

I think this is a known issue.  I thought there was work done to add a
Mac version of the open dialog, but I guess it's not ready yet.

Hmmm... aliases don't work as a workaround - it completely ignores
aliases.

Tom: what happened to the Mac open/save dialogs plan?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin

Re: (no subject)

Chris Barker
William Kyngesburye wrote:
> I think this is a known issue.  I thought there was work done to add a
> Mac version of the open dialog,

That would be great -- the current one (QT default?) is painfully bad
(on OS-X anyway).

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R            (206) 526-6959   voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
Seattle, WA  98115       (206) 526-6317   main reception

Re: (no subject)

Tom Elwertowski
William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Sergio Zárate Pedroche wrote:
>> In a different issue, QGIS will not read volumes (an external firewire
>> drive).
>
> I think this is a known issue.  I thought there was work done to add a
> Mac version of the open dialog, but I guess it's not ready yet.
>
> Hmmm... aliases don't work as a workaround - it completely ignores aliases.
>
> Tom: what happened to the Mac open/save dialogs plan?

I did a proof-of-concept which fixed only qgisapp.cpp (Add Vector/Raster
Layer). This was not submitted to svn. The next step would have been to
create a QgsFileDialog class to be used in place of QFileDialog so that
the fix is made for all file dialogs, not just those in qgisapp.cpp.

I then did the 0.11 release without this fix and noticed that my extra
volumes were appearing in file dialogs. I concluded that some other
change to Qt 4.4.1 somehow fixed this since my bug report (212103) is
still marked pending/unscheduled.

About three weeks ago, I deleted com.trolltech.plist and my extra
volumes disappeared. Apparently, QFileDialog::setSidebarUrls adds items
  to the sidebar permanently rather then just for the current
instantiation of the QFileDialog. Thus running my proof-of-concept once
made all future runs of any Qt app see my extra volumes so I thought the
problem was fixed.

About two weeks ago, the non-native dialog disappeared from Qt 4.5. All
  Mac file dialogs are native. Appending extra controls to Mac native
file dialogs hasn't been implemented yet so the QGIS Encoding popup is
currently unavailable in Qt 4.5.

At this point, it looks like if we do nothing, the problem will go away
when Qt 4.5 is released (which may be around January). Qt 4.5 Carbon
seems to work as well as Qt 4.4 for those who want native dialogs now.
Qt 4.5 Cocoa is quirky but also usable (no splash screen, no icons in
menus, some dialogs appear half off screen).

Tom

Re: (no subject)

John C. Tull
On Oct 16, 2008, at 9:47 PM, Tom Elwertowski wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> On Oct 16, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Sergio Zárate Pedroche wrote:
>>> In a different issue, QGIS will not read volumes (an external
>>> firewire drive).
>> I think this is a known issue.  I thought there was work done to
>> add a Mac version of the open dialog, but I guess it's not ready yet.
>> Hmmm... aliases don't work as a workaround - it completely ignores
>> aliases.
>> Tom: what happened to the Mac open/save dialogs plan?
>
> I did a proof-of-concept which fixed only qgisapp.cpp (Add Vector/
> Raster Layer). This was not submitted to svn. The next step would
> have been to create a QgsFileDialog class to be used in place of
> QFileDialog so that the fix is made for all file dialogs, not just
> those in qgisapp.cpp.
>
> I then did the 0.11 release without this fix and noticed that my
> extra volumes were appearing in file dialogs. I concluded that some
> other change to Qt 4.4.1 somehow fixed this since my bug report
> (212103) is still marked pending/unscheduled.
>
> About three weeks ago, I deleted com.trolltech.plist and my extra
> volumes disappeared. Apparently, QFileDialog::setSidebarUrls adds
> items  to the sidebar permanently rather then just for the current
> instantiation of the QFileDialog. Thus running my proof-of-concept
> once made all future runs of any Qt app see my extra volumes so I
> thought the problem was fixed.
>
> About two weeks ago, the non-native dialog disappeared from Qt 4.5.
> All  Mac file dialogs are native. Appending extra controls to Mac
> native file dialogs hasn't been implemented yet so the QGIS Encoding
> popup is currently unavailable in Qt 4.5.
>
> At this point, it looks like if we do nothing, the problem will go
> away when Qt 4.5 is released (which may be around January). Qt 4.5
> Carbon seems to work as well as Qt 4.4 for those who want native
> dialogs now. Qt 4.5 Cocoa is quirky but also usable (no splash
> screen, no icons in menus, some dialogs appear half off screen).

Tom,

Thanks for pointing out the Qt4.5 dialog change. That has been a
concern for me as well, but now that Qt is moving to a native dialog
it should be considered fixed.

On a side note, with Qt4.5 carbon built from today's snapshot, the
grass plugin fails to compile. I had to disable grass in order to get
a finished qgis trunk build. Because qt is not stable, I have not
filed a bug.

The file dialog worked well. Very nice, indeed.

Cheers,
John_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list

Re: (no subject)

William Kyngesburye
On Oct 17, 2008, at 9:46 PM, John C. Tull wrote:

>> About two weeks ago, the non-native dialog disappeared from Qt 4.5.
>> All  Mac file dialogs are native. Appending extra controls to Mac
>> native file dialogs hasn't been implemented yet so the QGIS
>> Encoding popup is currently unavailable in Qt 4.5.
>>
>> At this point, it looks like if we do nothing, the problem will go
>> away when Qt 4.5 is released (which may be around January). Qt 4.5
>> Carbon seems to work as well as Qt 4.4 for those who want native
>> dialogs now. Qt 4.5 Cocoa is quirky but also usable (no splash
>> screen, no icons in menus, some dialogs appear half off screen).
>
> Tom,
>
> Thanks for pointing out the Qt4.5 dialog change. That has been a
> concern for me as well, but now that Qt is moving to a native dialog
> it should be considered fixed.

Well, Qt 4.5 is still in development.  Qgis works with the current
stable Qt, and more work to get all the kinks worked out (like your
GRASS problem below, or adding the extra Qgis controls) would delay
Qgis even more.

I'd be happy with Tom's proof-of-concept fix - I think the main need
for access to external drives is to add raster and vector layers.

> On a side note, with Qt4.5 carbon built from today's snapshot, the
> grass plugin fails to compile. I had to disable grass in order to
> get a finished qgis trunk build. Because qt is not stable, I have
> not filed a bug.
>
> The file dialog worked well. Very nice, indeed.
>
> Cheers,
> John

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the
past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between
my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe

Re: (no subject)

John C. Tull
On Oct 17, 2008, at 8:13 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2008, at 9:46 PM, John C. Tull wrote:
>
>>> About two weeks ago, the non-native dialog disappeared from Qt
>>> 4.5. All  Mac file dialogs are native. Appending extra controls to
>>> Mac native file dialogs hasn't been implemented yet so the QGIS
>>> Encoding popup is currently unavailable in Qt 4.5.
>>>
>>> At this point, it looks like if we do nothing, the problem will go
>>> away when Qt 4.5 is released (which may be around January). Qt 4.5
>>> Carbon seems to work as well as Qt 4.4 for those who want native
>>> dialogs now. Qt 4.5 Cocoa is quirky but also usable (no splash
>>> screen, no icons in menus, some dialogs appear half off screen).
>>
>> Tom,
>>
>> Thanks for pointing out the Qt4.5 dialog change. That has been a
>> concern for me as well, but now that Qt is moving to a native
>> dialog it should be considered fixed.
>>
> Well, Qt 4.5 is still in development.  Qgis works with the current
> stable Qt, and more work to get all the kinks worked out (like your
> GRASS problem below, or adding the extra Qgis controls) would delay
> Qgis even more.
>
> I'd be happy with Tom's proof-of-concept fix - I think the main need
> for access to external drives is to add raster and vector layers.

Fair point. I possibly misunderstood and read Tom to say that he was
willing to let it resolve itself once Qt4.5 becomes stable.

If it is an easy thing to do, I would also favor the proof-of-concept
being committed to svn so the problem can be resolved now.

John

Re: [Qgis-developer] Re: (no subject)

Tim Sutton
Hi Folks

Note that we are currently in GUI freeze. While I support the fix we
should liase with the community / documentation team to see if these
changes will be ok for them. Tara / Otto can you please give the go
ahead if possible?

As a general rule we need to consult the  community / documentation
team before doing any GUI changes prior to 1.0 release with some
comment on impact levels they may expect.

+1 for the change from my point of view pending their ok.

Regards

Tim

2008/10/18 John C. Tull <[hidden email]>:

>>> Tom,
>>>
>>> Thanks for pointing out the Qt4.5 dialog change. That has been a concern
>>> for me as well, but now that Qt is moving to a native dialog it should be
>>> considered fixed.
>>>
>> Well, Qt 4.5 is still in development.  Qgis works with the current stable
>> Qt, and more work to get all the kinks worked out (like your GRASS problem
>> below, or adding the extra Qgis controls) would delay Qgis even more.
>>
>> I'd be happy with Tom's proof-of-concept fix - I think the main need for
>> access to external drives is to add raster and vector layers.
>
> Fair point. I possibly misunderstood and read Tom to say that he was willing
> to let it resolve itself once Qt4.5 becomes stable.
>
> If it is an easy thing to do, I would also favor the proof-of-concept being
> committed to svn so the problem can be resolved now.
>
> John

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: (no subject)

Tom Elwertowski
John C. Tull wrote:
> On a side note, with Qt4.5 carbon built from today's snapshot, the grass
> plugin fails to compile. I had to disable grass in order to get a
> finished qgis trunk build. Because qt is not stable, I have not filed a
> bug.

qgsgrassshell is the one remaining QGIS module that still needs Qt3Support.

Qt4.5 is supposed to enable Qt3Support for a Carbon-only build but
disable it for a Cocoa or combined build. I have only done a combined
build so I haven't built Qt4.5 Qt3Support.

I use an unfinished port of qgsgrassshell. I have uploaded it to
http://telwertowski.home.comcast.net/qgsgrassshell_qt4_r9490.diff.

One problem with this shell is that large blocks of output are not
initially displayed correctly. Instead of multiple lines, you may see
one line repeated multiple times. If you cover and uncover the window,
the correct output will be visible. The shell also freezes after running
a tool from the command line. The workaround is to close and reopen the
shell. I suspended work on porting the shell to do the menu
reorganization for QGIS 1.0.

Tom

Re: (no subject)

Tom Elwertowski
William Kyngesburye wrote:
> I'd be happy with Tom's proof-of-concept fix - I think the main need for
> access to external drives is to add raster and vector layers.

Since Qt is saving the volume list in com.trolltech.plist and then
retrieving the list for subsequent dialogs, the proof-of-concept is
actually closer to a complete solution since Open Project or Add Layer
are likely to be used before any other file dialog.

When I wrote the code, I though the items would be added only to the
active file dialog. The documentation doesn't mention persistence.

I will add the code bracketed by QT_VERSION < 0x040500 so it doesn't
interfere with future Qt releases and can easily be found later.

Tom

Tim Sutton wrote:
> As a general rule we need to consult the  community / documentation
> team before doing any GUI changes prior to 1.0 release with some
> comment on impact levels they may expect.

Agreed but I don't see a GUI change here. The bug is that the volume
list in a QFileDialog (a Qt not QGIS widget) contains only the boot
volume rather then all volumes. The fix is to add code to append items
items to a pre-existing list. The list content becomes longer but the
GUI doesn't change.

Tom

Re: [Qgis-community-team] Re: [Qgis-developer] Re: (no subject)

Otto Dassau
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 07:15:10 +0200
"Tim Sutton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> Note that we are currently in GUI freeze. While I support the fix we
> should liase with the community / documentation team to see if these
> changes will be ok for them. Tara / Otto can you please give the go
> ahead if possible?
>
> As a general rule we need to consult the  community / documentation
> team before doing any GUI changes prior to 1.0 release with some
> comment on impact levels they may expect.
>
> +1 for the change from my point of view pending their ok.

+1 for the change. And as Tim said, it would be nice, if someone can give us a
list, what changes we may expect and need to update in the manual.

regards,
 Otto

> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> 2008/10/18 John C. Tull <[hidden email]>:

> >> Well, Qt 4.5 is still in development.  Qgis works with the current stable
> >> Qt, and more work to get all the kinks worked out (like your GRASS problem
> >> below, or adding the extra Qgis controls) would delay Qgis even more.
> >>
> >> I'd be happy with Tom's proof-of-concept fix - I think the main need for
> >> access to external drives is to add raster and vector layers.
> >
> > Fair point. I possibly misunderstood and read Tom to say that he was willing
> > to let it resolve itself once Qt4.5 becomes stable.
> >
> > If it is an easy thing to do, I would also favor the proof-of-concept being
> > committed to svn so the problem can be resolved now.
> >
> > John

Re: (no subject)

John C. Tull
Tom,

Have you tried building with the qt-4.5 beta that recently was
released? I'm trying with the binary from trolltech (have not tried a
source build yet), but seem to be hitting some issues with
international support (maybe the binary does not have that included;
it's not a big download). The grass plugin also appears to still be a
problem.

I'd like to hear how this might affect the mac platform (positive and
negative) and any workarounds that you are able to conjure. I posted
links to my build errors on irc a moment ago if you care to look at
them.

Regards,
John

On Oct 17, 2008, at 10:44 PM, Tom Elwertowski wrote:

> John C. Tull wrote:
>> On a side note, with Qt4.5 carbon built from today's snapshot, the
>> grass plugin fails to compile. I had to disable grass in order to
>> get a finished qgis trunk build. Because qt is not stable, I have
>> not filed a bug.
>
> qgsgrassshell is the one remaining QGIS module that still needs
> Qt3Support.
>
> Qt4.5 is supposed to enable Qt3Support for a Carbon-only build but
> disable it for a Cocoa or combined build. I have only done a
> combined build so I haven't built Qt4.5 Qt3Support.
>
> I use an unfinished port of qgsgrassshell. I have uploaded it to http://telwertowski.home.comcast.net/qgsgrassshell_qt4_r9490.diff
> .
>
> One problem with this shell is that large blocks of output are not
> initially displayed correctly. Instead of multiple lines, you may
> see one line repeated multiple times. If you cover and uncover the
> window, the correct output will be visible. The shell also freezes
> after running a tool from the command line. The workaround is to
> close and reopen the shell. I suspended work on porting the shell to
> do the menu reorganization for QGIS 1.0.
>
> Tom

Re: (no subject)

John C. Tull
I reinstalled my Qt as I noticed some pieces were missing after doing
a "Customized" install excluding documentation and examples. I also
rebuilt sip and PyQt4.

The grass shell is definitely a show stopper currently. If I disable
grass, I still am not able to get finished. I am still not sure about
language support problems that seem to be part of the issue. The
binary is bigger than I thought, so it should have all the
localization support as before... Here is the output from my build
using current svn code (no other significant errors in prior output):

[ 95%] Building CXX object src/app/CMakeFiles/qgis.dir/
moc_qgspgquerybuilder.o
Linking CXX executable qgis
[ 95%] Built target qgis
[ 95%] [ 95%] [ 95%] [ 95%] Generating qgis_de.qm
Generating qgis_cs_CZ.qm
Generating qgis_el_GR.qm
Generating qgis_ar.qm
Updating '/Users/jctull/sources/qgis/trunk/build/i18n/qgis_ar.qm'...
Updating '/Users/jctull/sources/qgis/trunk/build/i18n/qgis_de.qm'...
Updating '/Users/jctull/sources/qgis/trunk/build/i18n/qgis_el_GR.qm'...
     Generated 9 translation(s) (5 finished and 4 unfinished)

     Ignored 3052 untranslated source text(s)
     Generated 47 translation(s) (9 finished and 38 unfinished)

     Ignored 3014 untranslated source text(s)
[ 95%]     Generated 3053 translation(s) (1243 finished and 1810
unfinished)

     Ignored 8 untranslated source text(s)
Generating qgis_es.qm
[ 95%] [ 95%] Generating qgis_fr.qm
Generating qgis_hu.qm
Updating '/Users/jctull/sources/qgis/trunk/build/i18n/qgis_cs_CZ.qm'...
Updating '/Users/jctull/sources/qgis/trunk/build/i18n/qgis_es.qm'...
     Generated 2320 translation(s) (2061 finished and 259 unfinished)

     Ignored 741 untranslated source text(s)
     Generated 2790 translation(s) (2688 finished and 102 unfinished)

     Ignored 271 untranslated source text(s)
Updating '/Users/jctull/sources/qgis/trunk/build/i18n/qgis_hu.qm'...
lrelease error: duplicate messages found in '/Users/jctull/sources/
qgis/trunk/i18n/qgis_fr.ts':

* Context: QgsLabelDialogBase
* Source: °
[ 95%] [ 95%] Generating qgis_id.qm
Generating qgis_it.qm
make[2]: *** [i18n/qgis_fr.qm] Error 1
     Generated 2252 translation(s) (1995 finished and 257 unfinished)

     Ignored 809 untranslated source text(s)
Updating '/Users/jctull/sources/qgis/trunk/build/i18n/qgis_id.qm'...
lrelease error: duplicate messages found in '/Users/jctull/sources/
qgis/trunk/i18n/qgis_it.ts':

* Context: QgsCopyrightLabelPluginGuiBase
head><body style=" white-space: pre-wrap; font-family:Sans Serif; font-
size:9pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-
decoration:none;"><p style=" margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-
left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:
html>

* Context: QgsLabelDialogBase
* Source: °
make[2]: *** [i18n/qgis_it.qm] Error 1
     Generated 710 translation(s) (361 finished and 349 unfinished)

     Ignored 2351 untranslated source text(s)
make[1]: *** [i18n/CMakeFiles/translations.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

John

On Dec 30, 2008, at 7:02 PM, John C. Tull wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Have you tried building with the qt-4.5 beta that recently was
> released? I'm trying with the binary from trolltech (have not tried
> a source build yet), but seem to be hitting some issues with
> international support (maybe the binary does not have that included;
> it's not a big download). The grass plugin also appears to still be
> a problem.
>
> I'd like to hear how this might affect the mac platform (positive
> and negative) and any workarounds that you are able to conjure. I
> posted links to my build errors on irc a moment ago if you care to
> look at them.
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> On Oct 17, 2008, at 10:44 PM, Tom Elwertowski wrote:
>
>> John C. Tull wrote:
>>> On a side note, with Qt4.5 carbon built from today's snapshot, the
>>> grass plugin fails to compile. I had to disable grass in order to
>>> get a finished qgis trunk build. Because qt is not stable, I have
>>> not filed a bug.
>>
>> qgsgrassshell is the one remaining QGIS module that still needs
>> Qt3Support.
>>
>> Qt4.5 is supposed to enable Qt3Support for a Carbon-only build but
>> disable it for a Cocoa or combined build. I have only done a
>> combined build so I haven't built Qt4.5 Qt3Support.
>>
>> I use an unfinished port of qgsgrassshell. I have uploaded it to http://telwertowski.home.comcast.net/qgsgrassshell_qt4_r9490.diff
>> .
>>
>> One problem with this shell is that large blocks of output are not
>> initially displayed correctly. Instead of multiple lines, you may
>> see one line repeated multiple times. If you cover and uncover the
>> window, the correct output will be visible. The shell also freezes
>> after running a tool from the command line. The workaround is to
>> close and reopen the shell. I suspended work on porting the shell
>> to do the menu reorganization for QGIS 1.0.
>>
>> Tom

Re: Mac QGIS using Qt4.5

Tom Elwertowski
John C. Tull wrote:
> Have you tried building with the qt-4.5 beta that recently was released?
> I'm trying with the binary from trolltech (have not tried a source build
> yet), but seem to be hitting some issues with international support
> (maybe the binary does not have that included; it's not a big download).
> The grass plugin also appears to still be a problem.

Here are the latest patches for Qt4.5:
http://telwertowski.home.comcast.net/i18n_qt45_r9913.diff
http://telwertowski.home.comcast.net/qgsgrassshell_qt4_r9913.diff

The lrelease messages are right. There are duplicate strings in the .ts
files. I first saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was a bad Qt
snapshot release.

It looks like older versions of lupdate were extracting the degree and
copyright symbols as &#xb0 and &#xa9. Newer versions extract the symbol
unmodified and add "encoding=UTF-8." Old strings are tagged "obsolete"
but never removed; the translators decide for themselves whether to
remove old strings or save them for potential reuse if they expect
similar phrases to reappear. Qt4.4 ignores the duplicates but Qt4.5 now
doesn't. Since the message is at least three weeks old, I assume it's
permanent.

The grass shell still uses Q3TextEdit so a patch is needed or you need
to build Qt with 64bit support disabled and Qt3Support enabled. The
patch does not render large blocks of output correctly but covering and
uncovering the window will show the correct output.

Tom

Re: Mac QGIS using Qt4.5

John C. Tull
I'll just disable grass for now as I do not want to compile qt-4.5
myself. I'm more interested in the improvements to open/save dialogs
and testing those.

The patch applied successfully, but the build failed. I went back
through some of the ts files one at a time as errors popped up during
make and deleted more problematic lines. Apparently some additional
changes to those since you created your patch. I'm using the most
current source. The build succeeded from there, but I've no idea what
effect these changes have on the translations.

I guess we now need someone to fix qgsgrassshell.cpp to drop the qt3
dependency. That and somehow handle the qt-4.5 issues with the
translations without the need to patch or hand edit them.

Thanks!
John