(no subject)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

(no subject)

murray bent
>
>XGRASS is being written using Xgen and something called Xclip (a product
>which allows a user to create a GUI menu in a very short time, and with
>very little disk space being used to create a new menu, due to the
>way that it interfaces with the motif/GRASS libraries -- I only know this
>from a shallow perspective, so if my explanation doesn't make full sense,
>there is a reason why...).
>
>Anyhow, the GRASS4.0 stuff will continue on as it now exists (command and
>interactive versions of some commands co-existing) - hence, the curses based
>routines will continue on (at least for a while).  The XGRASS menus do create
>user interfaces to the shell commands of GRASS4.0.  It is my understanding
>that interfaces to some of the interactive and/or more complicated commands
>(which are really more like modules) will also be written.
>
>The basic XGRASS is complete right now.  Documentation to accompany it is
>almost complete.  As soon as that is done, it will be going into beta
>testing.  Not sure if it will all be made available on the ftp site or
>not.  For more info, you can try writing to the developer (who is right
>now swamped, but he might be able to reply or add you to the beta testing
>list...):  Kurt Buehler, [hidden email]
>
>Hope this has helped.
>
>Marji
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: your mail

Kurt Buehler
>XGRASS is being written using Xgen and something called Xclip (a product
>which allows a user to create a GUI menu in a very short time, and with
>very little disk space being used to create a new menu, due to the
>way that it interfaces with the motif/GRASS libraries -- I only know this
>from a shallow perspective, so if my explanation doesn't make full sense,
>there is a reason why...).

See my last email to this group for clarification of this.

>
>Anyhow, the GRASS4.0 stuff will continue on as it now exists (command and
>interactive versions of some commands co-existing) - hence, the curses based
>routines will continue on (at least for a while).  The XGRASS menus do create
>user interfaces to the shell commands of GRASS4.0.  It is my understanding
>that interfaces to some of the interactive and/or more complicated commands
>(which are really more like modules) will also be written.

True, the XGRASS alpha release will include specialized interfaces for:
r.buffer, r.reclass, r.mapcalc, r.support (the interface is temporary, but
the functionality is there)

>
>The basic XGRASS is complete right now.  Documentation to accompany it is
>almost complete.  As soon as that is done, it will be going into beta
>testing.  Not sure if it will all be made available on the ftp site or
>not.  For more info, you can try writing to the developer (who is right
>now swamped, but he might be able to reply or add you to the beta testing
>list...):  Kurt Buehler, [hidden email]

Right, but documentation will not accompany the first release (your should
be able to figure it out right?).

PLEASE DON'T EMAIL ME ABOUT XGRASS UNTIL I GET IT ON THE FTP SITE!!
I'll try to keep you all posted on exact dates etc.

Kurt Buehler,  Spatial Analysis and Systems Team
USACERL, P.O. Box 9005, Champaign, IL 61826-9005
1-800-USA-CERL x449,   [hidden email]