nitf output projection

emre baseski
Hi everyone,
I am using ossim-orthoigen to convert geotiff files to nitf 2.0. No matter what I did, the output projection is EPSG:4326 (and the input proj is utm). I tried "--input-proj". Also, I tried giving the srs of the original image with --srs but the result is same. Any ideas why that might be the case? I tried on both windows and linux. I also tried ossim-icp and it has similar behaviour with additional trouble.

All the best
Emre

Re: nitf output projection

Garrett Potts-2
Hello:

What version of OSSIM you are using?  Mine worked just fine here.   I have a good feeling you do not have the projection code lookup files in your ossim_preferences.  You should have something in your preferences:

epsg_database_file1: $(OSSIM_DEV_HOME)/ossim/share/ossim/projection/ossim_epsg_projections-v7_4.csv
epsg_database_file2: $(OSSIM_DEV_HOME)/ossim/share/ossim/projection/ossim_harn_state_plane_epsg.csv
epsg_database_file3: $(OSSIM_DEV_HOME)/ossim/share/ossim/projection/ossim_state_plane_spcs.csv
epsg_database_file4: $(OSSIM_DEV_HOME)/ossim/share/ossim/projection/ossim_harn_state_plane_esri.csv

wkt_database_file: $(OSSIM_DEV_HOME)/ossim/share/ossim/projection/ossim_wkt_pcs.csv

Take care

Garrett

On Sep 15, 2015, at 4:54 PM, emre baseski <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone,
I am using ossim-orthoigen to convert geotiff files to nitf 2.0. No matter what I did, the output projection is EPSG:4326 (and the input proj is utm). I tried "--input-proj". Also, I tried giving the srs of the original image with --srs but the result is same. Any ideas why that might be the case? I tried on both windows and linux. I also tried ossim-icp and it has similar behaviour with additional trouble.

All the best
Emre

Re: nitf output projection

emre baseski
Hi,
I was actually using an older version (1.8.12) but I switched to 1.8.19. Under windows, I downloaded the executable under "http://download.osgeo.org/ossim/installers/windows/". Then, I defined the environment varriable OSSIM_INSTALL_PREFIX to show the installation path. The results are exactly the same. Still the projection is being changed to epsg4326 and the extent is totally gone. I used the following commands:

ossim-orthoigen.exe -w nitf20_block_band_separate --utm  somepath\z6.tif somepath\z9.ntf -P D:\ossim\share\ossim-preferences

ossim-orthoigen.exe -w nitf20_block_band_separate --input-proj  somepath\z6.tif somepath\z9.ntf -P D:\ossim\share\ossim-preferences

I am certain the preference file is there and being used. z6.tif has utm projection and I certainly have no intentional input to convert that to 4326.

Concerning the extent, --srs EPSG:4326 is fixing the problem but I dont want the image to be converted to 4326 in the first hand.

I dont think this has anything to do with the image since I tried quite a few examples (even from the examples of Orfeo).

My first intention was to use ossim-icp (which seems to be the propoer way to convert formats) but it has the same problem and you cant fix the extent. What is more strange is, the extent problem doesnt happen for small images (under 100mb).

All the best
Emre

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Garrett Potts <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Emre:

Need to look back at my previous email.  You probably do not have your OSSIM_PREFS_FILE env variable pointing to the preference file and probably do not have the preference values listed.

Take care

Garrett

On Sep 16, 2015, at 2:18 PM, emre baseski <[hidden email]> wrote:

I actually realized ossim-info is not displaying any projection information for this file. I used:

ossim-info -p ROI_IKO_PAN_LesHalles.tif

and the result is

image0.geometry.decimal_degrees_per_pixel_lat:  nan
image0.geometry.decimal_degrees_per_pixel_lon:  nan
image0.geometry.decimations:  (1,1)
image0.geometry.gsd:  (nan,nan)
image0.geometry.image_size:  (512,512)
image0.geometry.ll_lat:  nan
image0.geometry.ll_lon:  nan
image0.geometry.lr_lat:  nan
image0.geometry.lr_lon:  nan
image0.geometry.meters_per_pixel_x:  nan
image0.geometry.meters_per_pixel_y:  nan
image0.geometry.target_rrds:  0
image0.geometry.tie_point_lat:  nan
image0.geometry.tie_point_lon:  nan
image0.geometry.type:  ossimImageGeometry
image0.geometry.ul_lat:  nan
image0.geometry.ul_lon:  nan
image0.geometry.ur_lat:  nan
image0.geometry.ur_lon:  nan
number_entries:  1

The thing is, this file has projection information but ossim-info is not displaying anything related to that projection.

All the best
Emre

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 6:23 PM, emre baseski <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

<ROI_IKO_PAN_LesHalles.tif>

Re: nitf output projection

David Burken

If you used:

It does not set a path or any variables.  You should be able to cd to the install location and source the "ossim.bat" file.  After doing so run:

ossim-info --config

Check the output and verify the epsg files are correct.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Re: nitf output projection

emre baseski
Well, concerning my previous mail, I just realized ossim-info also requires the preference files. I added that and got the correct ossim-info output.

"ossim-info -p ROI_IKO_PAN_LesHalles.tif -P /home/emre/blah/oss_pref"

The problem with nitf is definetly not the preference files. I am using the same command to convert to a different format and the projection remains utm. When the output is nitf, the projection is switching to 4326. Can you guys try the image I attached with the commands I sent in my previous mail please.

All the best
Emre

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:23 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

If you used:

It does not set a path or any variables.  You should be able to cd to the install location and source the "ossim.bat" file.  After doing so run:

ossim-info --config

Check the output and verify the epsg files are correct.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Re: nitf output projection

David Burken
Hi,

When you say "resultant image looks like the projection has switched", is it utm now.  Can you do ossim-info -d -i -p <your_output.ntf> and send the output to me directly.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: nitf output projection

emre baseski
I checked the resultant image with a binary editor and here are my observations:

The image size of the nitf I produced with ossim is equal to the size of the image I produced with Erdas. That actually means, when I display the image with qgis, qgis is wraping the image.

ICORDS field is 'N' (you can check 775). This is supposed to be U (it is U for Erdas). N means no projection.

Anyways, I will be sharing my observations. I hope we can find a solution.

All the best
Emre

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:13 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

When you say "resultant image looks like the projection has switched", is it utm now.  Can you do ossim-info -d -i -p <your_output.ntf> and send the output to me directly.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: nitf output projection

David Burken

Hi,

I just ran a test.  The input projection was a Lambert Conformal Conic.  The output was utm.  I used ossim-chipper but it should be the same as ossim-orthoigen:

Command was:

ossim-chipper --op ortho --projection utm 20428885_15.sid outputs/t1.ntf

// Build overviews:
ossim-preproc -o --ch outputs/t1.ntf

I brought the input image and output image up in ossim-geocell, click on the output image which is utm, select "full sync", then did a swipe in geocell and they swipe perfectly.

Doing a dump:

ossim-info -d t1.ntf

I get:
nitf.image0.ICORDS:                 N
nitf.image0.IGEOLO:                 192972164680892192987604680892192987604679348192972164679348

See NITF spec, N=UTM/UPS(Northern hemisphere).   U = UTM expressed in Militaty Grid Reference System(MGRS).

Since our coords are written in UTM Easting/Northings we tag the ICORDS with N or S.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Re: nitf output projection

emre baseski
Hi,
Thanks a lot for all the analyzes. I really appreciate that.

ossim-chipper didnt change the result. Also, I am interested in nitf 2.0. The command you provided is producing nitf 2.1.

One thing I need to say is, N for nitf 2.0 means No projection (not north. http://www.gwg.nga.mil/ntb/baseline/docs/2500a/2500a.pdf ) and if icords is set to N, the igeolo is not even written. Since your nitf is 2.1, you could see igeolo.

The good news is, I spent couple of hours in front of a binary editor today. I also checked the stanag and the corresponding bytes. I will analyze it in more detail tomorrow but what I realized is:

1) When icords is N, (as I mentioned above), no igeolo is written. I inserted that into the nitf file manually with the binary editor and the resultant projection was all fine.

2) The second thing I realized (which is really bad is) the ossim nitf files have a subimage header that contains the geographical extents and qgis is using that info to display the image. If there is igeolo qgis is using that (unless that strange subimage header is also used).

I will be doing more analyzes tomorrow but this icords issue seems to be the soul reason of this problem. I will also check nitf 2.1 to see whether north/none confusion is coming from there.

Thanks a lot for all the effort.
All the best
Emre

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 4:06 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hey good find.  I see the 2.0 bug is in the code.  I will fix.  It's in ossimNitfImaeHeaderV2_X::setUtmNorth or South.  I think you're talking about the blocka tag. It's more accurate than the igeoloc field. Anyway will let you know when I post fix.

Dave

Re: nitf output projection

David Burken
Hi Emre,

Just a follow up on this.  As per the nitf 2.0 spec (2500A) the U is:

U indicates UTM in MGRS format

So it's not just a simple matter of flipping the ICORDS 'N' to 'U'.  We also have to change to the IGEOLO field content to be MGRS instead of UTM.  So long story short.  I can't do this tonight...  It's on my list.  If you did a trac ticket that would be cool.

Just curious, why the 2.0 requirement?  2.1 has been mainstream forever.  In fact we never had a 2.0 writer in the beginning as 2.1 was already out.  I think someone requested it and that's how the writer got in there.

Take care,
Dave

On 09/17/2015 03:12 AM, emre baseski wrote:
[...]

Hi Dave,
I am certainly aware of the MGRS thing. I will try to issue a ticket for this. I know this is an ancient format nobody cares about anymore but the 2.0 requirement comes from a customer. I hope it wont be a big trouble for you. Thanks for all the support. Please let me know whether I can help for the solution.

All the best
Emre