[news][development] New MASTER branch (old DEVELOP)

[news][development] New MASTER branch (old DEVELOP)

delawen
Dear GeoNetwork Contributors,

In Bolsena codesprint we have agreed on a new way of working with branches. Now we will have a MASTER branch, where all features and bug fixes will be pushed. Old DEVELOP branch will be removed shortly. You can use MASTER on a similar way as you used DEVELOP before. This is just a name change.

For each new minor release (3.2, 3.4, 3.6) we will fork MASTER branch and freeze the code accepting only bug fixes for some weeks. Once this branch is well tested, we will release the final version (3.2.0, 3.4.0, 3.6.0). This releases will still receive bug fixes and patch releases (3.4.1, 3.4.2,...), but no new features. New features will come always with minor releases.

Latest patch release with features will be 3.4.3, coming soon. From 3.6.0 on, we will use this new system.

This means that you will see an accelerated speed on version release, as features will only come on this form. We expect to release a new minor version every six months, but as usual, the real frequency will be determined by the needs and the amount of contributions we receive. Contributions following the community guidelines are welcomed. More contributions, more releases.

We expect to improve stability of GeoNetwork. No direct commits will be allowed. Everything has to go through Pull Requests. Reviewers of PR are welcomed, even if you are not explicitly mentioned.

We are also introducing the Projects feature in Github to have more information on what comes on each release, keeping a better roadmap tracking. This is experimental, but we hope that it will help us to get a better overview of what is happening in GeoNetwork.

We want to restart also the GeoNetwork meetings to make sure we all go on the same direction and don't rewrite features. Haven't agreed on time and place (IRC?) yet :)

Have a nice day,
María.

Re: [news][development] New MASTER branch (old DEVELOP)

Emanuele Tajariol-2
Hi Maria!

Very good news :) This procedure should really improve the overall stability.

One note about the fixes: as Ian Turton and Andrea Aime reported some time ago
in this list, they cited the GeoServer/GeoTools way to merge bugfixes:
1) the fix is implemented on the master branch
2) the fix is then backported to the stable branch

By fixing on master first, we're sure we will not be getting a regression later.
An optional point 3) can be added, that is backport to older branches, but
that is not mandatory and could be done only when/if needed.

We may want to apply the same rules for GeoNetwork as well. Any comment
welcome!

   Cheers,
   Emanuele

Alle 16:32:08 di Wednesday 6 June 2018, María Arias de Reyna ha scritto:

> Dear GeoNetwork Contributors,
>
> In Bolsena codesprint we have agreed on a new way of working with branches.
> Now we will have a MASTER branch, where all features and bug fixes will be
> pushed. Old DEVELOP branch will be removed shortly. You can use MASTER on a
> similar way as you used DEVELOP before. This is just a name change.
>
> For each new minor release (3.2, 3.4, 3.6) we will fork MASTER branch and
> freeze the code accepting only bug fixes for some weeks. Once this branch
> is well tested, we will release the final version (3.2.0, 3.4.0, 3.6.0).
> This releases will still receive bug fixes and patch releases (3.4.1,
> 3.4.2,...), but no new features. New features will come always with minor
> releases.
>
> Latest patch release with features will be 3.4.3, coming soon. From 3.6.0
> on, we will use this new system.
>
> This means that you will see an accelerated speed on version release, as
> features will only come on this form. We expect to release a new minor
> version every six months, but as usual, the real frequency will be
> determined by the needs and the amount of contributions we receive.
> Contributions following the community guidelines are welcomed. More
> contributions, more releases.
>
> We expect to improve stability of GeoNetwork. No direct commits will be
> allowed. Everything has to go through Pull Requests. Reviewers of PR are
> welcomed, even if you are not explicitly mentioned.
>
> We are also introducing the Projects feature in Github to have more
> information on what comes on each release, keeping a better roadmap
> tracking. This is experimental, but we hope that it will help us to get a
> better overview of what is happening in GeoNetwork.
>
> We want to restart also the GeoNetwork meetings to make sure we all go on
> the same direction and don't rewrite features. Haven't agreed on time and
> place (IRC?) yet :)
>
> Have a nice day,
> María.

Emanuele Tajariol
==
GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V
for more information.
==

Ing. Emanuele Tajariol
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 1660272

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE
2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa
che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli
eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i
destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per
errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei
comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation
2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the
information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by
telephone or e-mail.

Re: [news][development] New MASTER branch (old DEVELOP)

delawen
Hi Emanuele, Ian,

That was the suggestion from Volker (he was our external consultant in Bolsena :D) for fixes. I think we all agreed on that way of working, but I am not quite sure, maybe we were too tired to put an "official stamp" on that decision.

In any case, independently on where the commit is pushed first, the idea is to push bug fixes to both version branches and master branch and then features only on master.

Good to know you like it :)

María.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Emanuele Tajariol <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Maria!

Very good news :) This procedure should really improve the overall stability.

One note about the fixes: as Ian Turton and Andrea Aime reported some time ago
in this list, they cited the GeoServer/GeoTools way to merge bugfixes:
1) the fix is implemented on the master branch
2) the fix is then backported to the stable branch

By fixing on master first, we're sure we will not be getting a regression later.
An optional point 3) can be added, that is backport to older branches, but
that is not mandatory and could be done only when/if needed.

We may want to apply the same rules for GeoNetwork as well. Any comment
welcome!

   Cheers,
   Emanuele

Alle 16:32:08 di Wednesday 6 June 2018, María Arias de Reyna ha scritto:
> Dear GeoNetwork Contributors,
>
> In Bolsena codesprint we have agreed on a new way of working with branches.
> Now we will have a MASTER branch, where all features and bug fixes will be
> pushed. Old DEVELOP branch will be removed shortly. You can use MASTER on a
> similar way as you used DEVELOP before. This is just a name change.
>
> For each new minor release (3.2, 3.4, 3.6) we will fork MASTER branch and
> freeze the code accepting only bug fixes for some weeks. Once this branch
> is well tested, we will release the final version (3.2.0, 3.4.0, 3.6.0).
> This releases will still receive bug fixes and patch releases (3.4.1,
> 3.4.2,...), but no new features. New features will come always with minor
> releases.
>
> Latest patch release with features will be 3.4.3, coming soon. From 3.6.0
> on, we will use this new system.
>
> This means that you will see an accelerated speed on version release, as
> features will only come on this form. We expect to release a new minor
> version every six months, but as usual, the real frequency will be
> determined by the needs and the amount of contributions we receive.
> Contributions following the community guidelines are welcomed. More
> contributions, more releases.
>
> We expect to improve stability of GeoNetwork. No direct commits will be
> allowed. Everything has to go through Pull Requests. Reviewers of PR are
> welcomed, even if you are not explicitly mentioned.
>
> We are also introducing the Projects feature in Github to have more
> information on what comes on each release, keeping a better roadmap
> tracking. This is experimental, but we hope that it will help us to get a
> better overview of what is happening in GeoNetwork.
>
> We want to restart also the GeoNetwork meetings to make sure we all go on
> the same direction and don't rewrite features. Haven't agreed on time and
> place (IRC?) yet :)
>
> Have a nice day,
> María.

Emanuele Tajariol
==
[...]

Jose Garcia
Hi Emanuele

I agree completely with you, fixes should be implemented in master and backported to the stable branch. This can require an additional effort, but I hope also will improve the stability of GeoNetwork.

Also I think would be good to use again the proposals page (https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/wiki/Geonetwork-Change-Proposals) at least when adding new features or refactoring the code, to add a technical description of the proposed solution. That way proposals can be done in a very early stage, before even start the implementation, and get suggestions/approval from other developers. Currently we manage this in pull requests, that is probably more agile, but usually also too late to do architectural changes.

Regards,
Jose García

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 9:03 PM, María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> version every six months, but as usual, the real frequency will be
> determined by the needs and the amount of contributions we receive.
> Contributions following the community guidelines are welcomed. More
> contributions, more releases.
>
> We expect to improve stability of GeoNetwork. No direct commits will be
> allowed. Everything has to go through Pull Requests. Reviewers of PR are
> welcomed, even if you are not explicitly mentioned.
>
> We are also introducing the Projects feature in Github to have more
> information on what comes on each release, keeping a better roadmap
> tracking. This is experimental, but we hope that it will help us to get a
> better overview of what is happening in GeoNetwork.
>
> We want to restart also the GeoNetwork meetings to make sure we all go on
> the same direction and don't rewrite features. Haven't agreed on time and

Emanuele Tajariol
==
[...]

Vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards,

Jose García

Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
The Netherlands
T: <a href="tel:+31318416664" style="font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif" target="_blank">+31 (0)318 416664