newbie user and visual studio

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

newbie user and visual studio

Lloyd Dupont
HI,
 
I’m a Windows developer (and visual studio user) who is not very good with all those open source command line tools.
I’m also quite rusty with C++ but I want to give it a new go and port one of my C# app to C++ (WinRT / Metro C++ Cx to be exact)
 
For that I will need some geometry manipulating library, GEOS seems liked a good and simple enough candidate.
 
To facilitate this difficult entry in the C++ world (with a big open source library) it would be nice if there is a way to get a Visual Studio project to open which contains all the necessary GEOS file.
 
I even found a link which seems to indicate it does exists:
 
But I couldn’t find this VS project file.. they seem to be part of the build output.. :~
How to I generate get them??!?
 
Thanks for nay links / info / feedback!

_______________________________________________
geos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/geos-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: newbie user and visual studio

jmckenna
Administrator
On 12-06-21 12:13 PM, Lloyd Dupont wrote:

> HI,
>  
> I’m a Windows developer (and visual studio user) who is not very good
> with all those open source command line tools.
> I’m also quite rusty with C++ but I want to give it a new go and port
> one of my C# app to C++ (WinRT / Metro C++ Cx to be exact)
>  
> For that I will need some geometry manipulating library, GEOS seems
> liked a good and simple enough candidate.
>  
> To facilitate this difficult entry in the C++ world (with a big open
> source library) it would be nice if there is a way to get a Visual
> Studio project to open which contains all the necessary GEOS file.
>  
> I even found a link which seems to indicate it does exists:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/wiki/BuildingOnWindowsWithVisualStudioIDE
>  
> But I couldn’t find this VS project file.. they seem to be part of the
> build output.. :~
> How to I generate get them??!?
>  
> Thanks for nay links / info / feedback!

Hello,

You can use the Visual Studio Command Prompt to compile GEOS (look for
the shortcut in your Start Menu).  Then a few commands will do the trick:

  autogen.bat
  nmake /f makefile.vc MSVC_VER=1500

(if you are using MSVC 2008)

I am not aware of a Visual Studio solution file that you ask for.

Have fun!

-jeff


--
Jeff McKenna
MapServer Consulting and Training Services
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/




_______________________________________________
geos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/geos-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: newbie user and visual studio

Howard Butler

On Jun 21, 2012, at 11:55 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
I am not aware of a Visual Studio solution file that you ask for.

You can easily generate a Visual Studio solution of any vintage (2005, 2008, 2010) you want by issuing the appropriate command to cmake.

$ cmake -g "Visual Studio 10 Win64" ………..


Howard

_______________________________________________
geos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/geos-devel

signature.asc (506 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: newbie user and visual studio

Paul Meems (Top-X)
In reply to this post by Lloyd Dupont
We have VS2008 solution files for GEOS, because we build it ourselves for the MapWindow GIS application:
http://svn.mapwindow.org/svnroot/SupportLibraries/GDAL/Geos/


With regards



Paul

Paul Meems
Senior GIS consultant

06-28542079
TopX Geo-ICT

Wij bieden ondersteuning

voor MapWindow GIS





2012/6/21 Lloyd Dupont <[hidden email]>
HI,
 
I’m a Windows developer (and visual studio user) who is not very good with all those open source command line tools.
I’m also quite rusty with C++ but I want to give it a new go and port one of my C# app to C++ (WinRT / Metro C++ Cx to be exact)
 
For that I will need some geometry manipulating library, GEOS seems liked a good and simple enough candidate.
 
To facilitate this difficult entry in the C++ world (with a big open source library) it would be nice if there is a way to get a Visual Studio project to open which contains all the necessary GEOS file.
 
I even found a link which seems to indicate it does exists:
 
But I couldn’t find this VS project file.. they seem to be part of the build output.. :~
How to I generate get them??!?
 
Thanks for nay links / info / feedback!

_______________________________________________
geos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/geos-devel


_______________________________________________
geos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/geos-devel