newbie question reqarding fdopostgis and OGR

newbie question reqarding fdopostgis and OGR

Eric Davies
I found a reference to a fdopostgis project.
Would the same capabilities be present through fdo's OGR provider, since OGR has Postgis support?
In short, I'm trying to comprehend the motivation for having a fdopostgis project.
Can anybody shed some light?

Thank you.
Eric.

Eric Davies, M.Sc.
Barrodale Computing Services Ltd.
Tel: (250) 472-4372 Fax: (250) 472-4373
Web: http://www.barrodale.com
Email: [hidden email]
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 3075 STN CSC
Victoria BC Canada V8W 3W2

Shipping Address:
Hut R, McKenzie Avenue
University of Victoria
Victoria BC Canada V8W 3W2

Re: newbie question reqarding fdopostgis and OGR

Paul Ramsey-2
Eric Davies wrote:
> I found a reference to a fdopostgis project.
> Would the same capabilities be present through fdo's OGR provider, since
> OGR has Postgis support?
> In short, I'm trying to comprehend the motivation for having a
> fdopostgis project.
> Can anybody shed some light?

Eric,

The OGR FDO driver is limited in that all the FDO concepts have to
transit the thinner API layer of OGR, so some things get squashed out in
the process.  The fdopostgis driver is a native driver that uses libpq
to talk to the database, and implements the FDO API directly.  This
should allow it to be a bit more optimized, and to support more of the
FDO features than the OGR driver.

Paul

--

   Paul Ramsey