new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

Veronica Andreo
Hi all,

here I forward the email from last year with the link to the wiki, where we started delineating what to keep, merge, re-structure and trash from the current grass website into the upcoming one.

The wiki has evolved a bit since then and it is currently here: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Website_migration_plan_2019, with new sections like:
- "Why a new website?" that we used to justify the request for budget to OSGeo
- "Expected workload" by Nik (the person that is currently doing the job)
- "Crowd funding" with the link to GRASS GIS money pool to partially cover the work by Nik

Please, have a look and comment here or in the wiki itself, edit, add ideas, questions, etc. This is the moment to do so! :)

@Nik, maybe you could also share here the request for screenshots and the progress you have made so far, as well as any other news or requests you might have.

Cheers,
Vero

Re: new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

wenzeslaus

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 7:40 PM Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:

The wiki has evolved a bit since then and it is currently here: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Website_migration_plan_2019, with new sections like:
Please, have a look and comment here or in the wiki itself, edit, add ideas, questions, etc. This is the moment to do so! :)

Hi Vero and Nik,

The wiki says:

"""
"""

I think Commercial Support and Sponsorship are two different things and should not be merged or if they would be merged a proper title and subsections and/or labels would have to be there to make a distinction. The question is what is the purpose these pages. If somebody wants to get support, they don't need to know that somebody sponsored a code sprint. That institution or individual supporting a sprint may or may not be providing support. The other question is what is Sponsorship page purpose. Acknowledgement or advertisement? For example, the new OSGeo website has a sample of sponsors on most pages with a link to Sponsors page.

Best,
Vaclav

Re: new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

Markus Neteler
Hi all,

just for the record - the web systems we have/had:

active:
- we have the grass.osgeo.org CMS on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. CMSMS
- we have the grasswiki.osgeo.org Wiki on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. Mediawiki

deleted:
- the temporary wordpress installation has been deleted

new_
- we have a new LXD container on "osgeo7" based on recent Debian, see below:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 2:24 AM Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> I repointed staging.grass.osgeo.org to this container.
> Once you setup a website, the Bad Gateway message should go away and you should see what you setup.
>
> http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

TODO in these weeks:
- implement new hugo based Web site on the new LXD container (Martin L
and I have access  so far)
   - for testing, it will then be visible at http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/
- switch grass.osgeo.org to point to this new site
- have cronjobs for manuals all there, which solves the current
outdated-Debian problem.

Future:
- think about migrating mediawiki to a newer version, own container or
not (low prio, no idea at time)

Cheers,
Markus

Re: new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

Luca Delucchi

Il sab 25 mag 2019, 16:58 Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

just for the record - the web systems we have/had:

active:
- we have the grass.osgeo.org CMS on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. CMSMS
- we have the grasswiki.osgeo.org Wiki on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. Mediawiki

deleted:
- the temporary wordpress installation has been deleted

new_
- we have a new LXD container on "osgeo7" based on recent Debian, see below:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 2:24 AM Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> I repointed staging.grass.osgeo.org to this container.
> Once you setup a website, the Bad Gateway message should go away and you should see what you setup.
>
> http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

TODO in these weeks:
- implement new hugo based Web site on the new LXD container (Martin L
and I have access  so far)

Is it possible to see the new website? It could be useful to have an accessible git repository

   - for testing, it will then be visible at http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

Idea about the time?

- switch grass.osgeo.org to point to this new site
- have cronjobs for manuals all there, which solves the current
outdated-Debian problem.

Could we already test this?
Should be possible to use and adapt the scripts of the osgeo6 machine

Cheers,
Markus

Ciao
Luca

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM Luca Delucchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Il sab 25 mag 2019, 16:58 Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> just for the record - the web systems we have/had:

... the Web related questions Nick may answer as I don't know.

>> - have cronjobs for manuals all there, which solves the current
>> outdated-Debian problem.
>
> Could we already test this?
> Should be possible to use and adapt the scripts of the osgeo6 machine

I am currently working on the cronjob update.

Cheers,
Markus