new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

12

new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

Veronica Andreo
Hi all,

here I forward the email from last year with the link to the wiki, where we started delineating what to keep, merge, re-structure and trash from the current grass website into the upcoming one.

The wiki has evolved a bit since then and it is currently here: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Website_migration_plan_2019, with new sections like:
- "Why a new website?" that we used to justify the request for budget to OSGeo
- "Expected workload" by Nik (the person that is currently doing the job)
- "Crowd funding" with the link to GRASS GIS money pool to partially cover the work by Nik

Please, have a look and comment here or in the wiki itself, edit, add ideas, questions, etc. This is the moment to do so! :)

@Nik, maybe you could also share here the request for screenshots and the progress you have made so far, as well as any other news or requests you might have.

Cheers,
Vero

Re: new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

wenzeslaus

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 7:40 PM Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:

The wiki has evolved a bit since then and it is currently here: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Website_migration_plan_2019, with new sections like:
Please, have a look and comment here or in the wiki itself, edit, add ideas, questions, etc. This is the moment to do so! :)

Hi Vero and Nik,

The wiki says:

"""
"""

I think Commercial Support and Sponsorship are two different things and should not be merged or if they would be merged a proper title and subsections and/or labels would have to be there to make a distinction. The question is what is the purpose these pages. If somebody wants to get support, they don't need to know that somebody sponsored a code sprint. That institution or individual supporting a sprint may or may not be providing support. The other question is what is Sponsorship page purpose. Acknowledgement or advertisement? For example, the new OSGeo website has a sample of sponsors on most pages with a link to Sponsors page.

Best,
Vaclav

Re: new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

Markus Neteler
Hi all,

just for the record - the web systems we have/had:

active:
- we have the grass.osgeo.org CMS on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. CMSMS
- we have the grasswiki.osgeo.org Wiki on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. Mediawiki

deleted:
- the temporary wordpress installation has been deleted

new_
- we have a new LXD container on "osgeo7" based on recent Debian, see below:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 2:24 AM Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> I repointed staging.grass.osgeo.org to this container.
> Once you setup a website, the Bad Gateway message should go away and you should see what you setup.
>
> http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

TODO in these weeks:
- implement new hugo based Web site on the new LXD container (Martin L
and I have access  so far)
   - for testing, it will then be visible at http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/
- switch grass.osgeo.org to point to this new site
- have cronjobs for manuals all there, which solves the current
outdated-Debian problem.

Future:
- think about migrating mediawiki to a newer version, own container or
not (low prio, no idea at time)

Cheers,
Markus

Re: new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

Luca Delucchi

Il sab 25 mag 2019, 16:58 Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

just for the record - the web systems we have/had:

active:
- we have the grass.osgeo.org CMS on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. CMSMS
- we have the grasswiki.osgeo.org Wiki on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. Mediawiki

deleted:
- the temporary wordpress installation has been deleted

new_
- we have a new LXD container on "osgeo7" based on recent Debian, see below:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 2:24 AM Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> I repointed staging.grass.osgeo.org to this container.
> Once you setup a website, the Bad Gateway message should go away and you should see what you setup.
>
> http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

TODO in these weeks:
- implement new hugo based Web site on the new LXD container (Martin L
and I have access  so far)

Is it possible to see the new website? It could be useful to have an accessible git repository

   - for testing, it will then be visible at http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

Idea about the time?

- switch grass.osgeo.org to point to this new site
- have cronjobs for manuals all there, which solves the current
outdated-Debian problem.

Could we already test this?
Should be possible to use and adapt the scripts of the osgeo6 machine

Cheers,
Markus

Ciao
Luca

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM Luca Delucchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Il sab 25 mag 2019, 16:58 Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> just for the record - the web systems we have/had:

... the Web related questions Nick may answer as I don't know.

>> - have cronjobs for manuals all there, which solves the current
>> outdated-Debian problem.
>
> Could we already test this?
> Should be possible to use and adapt the scripts of the osgeo6 machine

I am currently working on the cronjob update.

Cheers,
Markus

Re: new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

Markus Neteler
Hi Nick,

Do you have any news for us?

We really want to show the new (draft) web site end of August in Bucharest...

Thanks,

Markus

Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 25. Mai 2019, 16:58:
Hi all,

just for the record - the web systems we have/had:

active:
- we have the grass.osgeo.org CMS on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. CMSMS
- we have the grasswiki.osgeo.org Wiki on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. Mediawiki

deleted:
- the temporary wordpress installation has been deleted

new_
- we have a new LXD container on "osgeo7" based on recent Debian, see below:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 2:24 AM Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> I repointed staging.grass.osgeo.org to this container.
> Once you setup a website, the Bad Gateway message should go away and you should see what you setup.
>
> http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

TODO in these weeks:
- implement new hugo based Web site on the new LXD container (Martin L
and I have access  so far)
   - for testing, it will then be visible at http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/
- switch grass.osgeo.org to point to this new site
- have cronjobs for manuals all there, which solves the current
outdated-Debian problem.

Future:
- think about migrating mediawiki to a newer version, own container or
not (low prio, no idea at time)

Cheers,
Markus

Re: new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

nicolas bozon
Hi All, sorry for late answer.
I am still working on the theme foundations, but i have good hope for
sharing them by the very beginning of August, in about a week.
Talk soon,

Best,

Nick

Le dim. 21 juil. 2019 à 21:10, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Nick,

Do you have any news for us?

We really want to show the new (draft) web site end of August in Bucharest...

Thanks,

Markus

Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 25. Mai 2019, 16:58:
Hi all,

just for the record - the web systems we have/had:

active:
- we have the grass.osgeo.org CMS on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. CMSMS
- we have the grasswiki.osgeo.org Wiki on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. Mediawiki

deleted:
- the temporary wordpress installation has been deleted

new_
- we have a new LXD container on "osgeo7" based on recent Debian, see below:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 2:24 AM Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> I repointed staging.grass.osgeo.org to this container.
> Once you setup a website, the Bad Gateway message should go away and you should see what you setup.
>
> http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

TODO in these weeks:
- implement new hugo based Web site on the new LXD container (Martin L
and I have access  so far)
   - for testing, it will then be visible at http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/
- switch grass.osgeo.org to point to this new site
- have cronjobs for manuals all there, which solves the current
outdated-Debian problem.

Future:
- think about migrating mediawiki to a newer version, own container or
not (low prio, no idea at time)

Cheers,
Markus

Re: new website: draft roadmap and collection of ideas

Veronica Andreo
Hi Nick,

Any news??

We want to show the progress on the new website in the GRASS presentation at FOSS4G, do you have something to update us? Also because with updates and screenshots we can re-launch the crowdfunding...

Best,
Vero

El mié., 24 jul. 2019 a las 6:59, nicolas bozon (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi All, sorry for late answer.
I am still working on the theme foundations, but i have good hope for
sharing them by the very beginning of August, in about a week.
Talk soon,

Best,

Nick

Le dim. 21 juil. 2019 à 21:10, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Nick,

Do you have any news for us?

We really want to show the new (draft) web site end of August in Bucharest...

Thanks,

Markus

Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 25. Mai 2019, 16:58:
Hi all,

just for the record - the web systems we have/had:

active:
- we have the grass.osgeo.org CMS on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. CMSMS
- we have the grasswiki.osgeo.org Wiki on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. Mediawiki

deleted:
- the temporary wordpress installation has been deleted

new_
- we have a new LXD container on "osgeo7" based on recent Debian, see below:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 2:24 AM Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> I repointed staging.grass.osgeo.org to this container.
> Once you setup a website, the Bad Gateway message should go away and you should see what you setup.
>
> http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

TODO in these weeks:
- implement new hugo based Web site on the new LXD container (Martin L
and I have access  so far)
   - for testing, it will then be visible at http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/
- switch grass.osgeo.org to point to this new site
- have cronjobs for manuals all there, which solves the current
outdated-Debian problem.

Future:
- think about migrating mediawiki to a newer version, own container or
not (low prio, no idea at time)

Cheers,
Markus

Re: new website: draft version

nicolas bozon
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay once again :)
Vero, on the contrary your last email couldn't be more on time, as i just 'finished' a very first draft version :)

This is a theme for Hugo. I thus mostly focused on layouts and theme, and wrote the very minimal content until now.
This is why you will hit a number of 'coming soon' pages and sections, and we need to create their content together now !

Please consider this work as the foundation of our new website. A lot of work on content is still needed, along with additional design and visuals, and probably various CSS fixes.

For now, i published this work to my github, so we can share and discuss, and push it to the GRASS website github repo later on.

The source code is available here:
https://github.com/nbozon/GRASS_Web

And the static website preview, generated by the last build:
https://nbozon.github.io/GRASS-GIS/

I hope you like it and we can move forward on this new basis. Please feel free to give any kind of feedback.

GRASS people attending FOSS4G, let us organize a website meeting there, so i can give you more details and we can plan remaining tasks f2f.

See you soon
Best,

Nick

Le lun. 12 août 2019 à 18:36, Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Nick,

Any news??

We want to show the progress on the new website in the GRASS presentation at FOSS4G, do you have something to update us? Also because with updates and screenshots we can re-launch the crowdfunding...

Best,
Vero

El mié., 24 jul. 2019 a las 6:59, nicolas bozon (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi All, sorry for late answer.
I am still working on the theme foundations, but i have good hope for
sharing them by the very beginning of August, in about a week.
Talk soon,

Best,

Nick

Le dim. 21 juil. 2019 à 21:10, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Nick,

Do you have any news for us?

We really want to show the new (draft) web site end of August in Bucharest...

Thanks,

Markus

Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 25. Mai 2019, 16:58:
Hi all,

just for the record - the web systems we have/had:

active:
- we have the grass.osgeo.org CMS on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. CMSMS
- we have the grasswiki.osgeo.org Wiki on the "osgeo6" machine, i.e. Mediawiki

deleted:
- the temporary wordpress installation has been deleted

new_
- we have a new LXD container on "osgeo7" based on recent Debian, see below:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 2:24 AM Regina Obe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> I repointed staging.grass.osgeo.org to this container.
> Once you setup a website, the Bad Gateway message should go away and you should see what you setup.
>
> http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/

TODO in these weeks:
- implement new hugo based Web site on the new LXD container (Martin L
and I have access  so far)
   - for testing, it will then be visible at http://staging.grass.osgeo.org/
- switch grass.osgeo.org to point to this new site
- have cronjobs for manuals all there, which solves the current
outdated-Debian problem.

Future:
- think about migrating mediawiki to a newer version, own container or
not (low prio, no idea at time)

Cheers,
Markus

Re: new website: draft version

Veronica Andreo
Hi Nick!

Great!! Thanks much! It looks very nice!
Yes, let's organice a f2f meeting at FOSS4G and plan ahead :)

See you soon,
Vero

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 00:02, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Nick,

> Sorry for the delay once again :)
> Vero, on the contrary your last email couldn't be more on time, as i just 'finished' a very first draft version :)
>
> This is a theme for Hugo. I thus mostly focused on layouts and theme, and wrote the very minimal content until now.

this make sense for me

> This is why you will hit a number of 'coming soon' pages and sections, and we need to create their content together now !
>
> Please consider this work as the foundation of our new website. A lot of work on content is still needed, along with additional design and visuals, and probably various CSS fixes.
>
> For now, i published this work to my github, so we can share and discuss, and push it to the GRASS website github repo later on.
>
> The source code is available here:
> https://github.com/nbozon/GRASS_Web

could you please add some instruction how to test in local machine?
something like hugo for dummy :-)

> And the static website preview, generated by the last build:
> https://nbozon.github.io/GRASS-GIS/
>
> I hope you like it and we can move forward on this new basis. Please feel free to give any kind of feedback.

I like it, few feedback below:
- is it possible to see how could be the website with a fixed top menu?
- I don't like the gray "Geographic Resources Analysis Support System"
could you change it with grass-color
- the "grass-color" variable seems different from the "official" GRASS
color [0], could you try to modify it?

> See you soon
> Best,
>

> Nick

Thanks for the work

[0] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Logo

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

Re: new website: draft version

Martin Landa

út 13. 8. 2019 v 14:06 odesílatel Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> napsal:
> Great!! Thanks much! It looks very nice!
> Yes, let's organice a f2f meeting at FOSS4G and plan ahead :)

sounds great, also Saturday's code sprint seems like a perfect
occasion to fill the content. Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: new website: draft version

Moritz Lennert
On 14/08/19 23:39, Luca Delucchi wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 00:02, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The source code is available here:
>> https://github.com/nbozon/GRASS_Web
>>

> could you please add some instruction how to test in local machine?
> something like hugo for dummy :-)

For me this works:

- install Hugo (apt install hugo on Debian)
- download the source code
- in the directory just run 'hugo'
- find the website as static pages in the 'public' directory

Great job Nicj, thanks a lot !

Moritz

On 13/08/19 14:06, Veronica Andreo wrote:
> Hi Nick!
>
> Great!! Thanks much! It looks very nice!
> Yes, let's organice a f2f meeting at FOSS4G and plan ahead :)

This might be a good BoF topic:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2019_BirdsOfAFeather

Moritz

El vie., 16 ago. 2019 a las 11:55, Moritz Lennert (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
On 13/08/19 14:06, Veronica Andreo wrote:
> Hi Nick!
>
> Great!! Thanks much! It looks very nice!
> Yes, let's organice a f2f meeting at FOSS4G and plan ahead :)

This might be a good BoF topic:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2019_BirdsOfAFeather

I agree, shall I sign us in there? Which day?

Vero

Re: new website: draft version

nicolas bozon
Hi,

I won't attend the code sprint unfortunatelly, as i will fly back on saturday.

@Moritz @Vero,  i agree we could showcase and discuss this ongoing work in a BoF, perhaps on 29th ?

@Luca, thanks for the report on the wrong GRASS green color, this can easily be changed in the theme config file.

Btw, i started two pages that may help to build something consistent (to be completed)

GRASS GIS brand:
https://nbozon.github.io/GRASS-GIS/about/brand/

GRASS Theme elements:
https://nbozon.github.io/GRASS-GIS/about/elements/ (more to be added)

See you in Bucarest

Best,

Nick

Le dim. 18 août 2019 à 16:00, Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> a écrit :

El vie., 16 ago. 2019 a las 11:55, Moritz Lennert (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
On 13/08/19 14:06, Veronica Andreo wrote:
> Hi Nick!
>
> Great!! Thanks much! It looks very nice!
> Yes, let's organice a f2f meeting at FOSS4G and plan ahead :)

This might be a good BoF topic:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2019_BirdsOfAFeather

I agree, shall I sign us in there? Which day?

Vero

Re: new website: draft version

Veronica Andreo
Hi all,

So, given that 29th is the gala dinner, I booked "Simfonia" room for us on Wednesday 28th instead. Hope that's fine with you :)

See you soon!
Vero

pá 23. 8. 2019 v 13:25 odesílatel Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> napsal:
> So, given that 29th is the gala dinner, I booked "Simfonia" room for us on Wednesday 28th instead. Hope that's fine with you :)
> Please, add yourself in the wiki: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2019_BirdsOfAFeather#GRASS_GIS_new_website

as a result the code has been moved to official repository [1]. Feel
free to fork, improve + create PRs.

Ma

[1] https://github.com/osgeo/grass-website

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: new website: draft version

Martin Landa
Hi Nicolas,

čt 29. 8. 2019 v 16:36 odesílatel Martin Landa <[hidden email]> napsal:
> as a result the code has been moved to official repository [1]. Feel
> free to fork, improve + create PRs.

baseURL is hardcoded to your target [1]. Is there any option to use
related URL (pointing to a current directory). Let's open web-site eg.
from /opt/src/grass-website/public.

In this case baseURL should point to file:///opt/src/grass-website/public.

Thanks, Ma

[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-website/blob/master/config.toml#L1

čt 29. 8. 2019 v 17:11 odesílatel Martin Landa <[hidden email]> napsal:
> baseURL is hardcoded to your target [1]. Is there any option to use
> related URL (pointing to a current directory). Let's open web-site eg.
> from /opt/src/grass-website/public.
>
> In this case baseURL should point to file:///opt/src/grass-website/public.

I just wonder whether it's even possible to use relative URLs without
local web server. My attempt [1] seems to work for main page, but all
other pages are broken.

Ma

[1] https://github.com/landam/grass-website/commit/045ad12e210295d7321e84452f6caa7bcb34e932