new qgis users (converting one person at a time)

new qgis users (converting one person at a time)

maning sambale
Hi QGISers,

I just came from a conference on wildlife conservation and I met a
person whose interested in buying ESRI Arcview for their simple
mapping needs.

I told them about QGIS and we then walked into their lab.  Good thing
I always have a copy of FOSS GIS for MSWin (qgis, GRASS, udig,
gpsbabel, etc.).

I then installed QGIS, asked for a file of GPS readings.  Showed them
how to load them in QGIS, added a few shapefiles.  And instantly they
like it!

>From the Desktop, I saw a Google Earth icon and told them the EULA
restriction of the free GE version.  Afterwhich I demonstrated the
NASA JPL WMS layer.

I told them in ain't pirated it's free (beer & speech) and the
community is very accomodating

Now we have a new QGIS user!  Next target is to show them how to use
the GRASS plugin.

Cheers,
maning

--
|---------|----------------------------------------------------------|
| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |

Re: new qgis users (converting one person at a time)

maning sambale
Thanks!  I will encourage them to join the mailinglists.  Do you have
any links that shows the use of QGIS & GRASS in wildlife research.  I
think this will encourage them even more.

My approach is not to hard sell FOSS GIS (a mentally of it its free it
must be inferior sometimes loom around).  I just talk to people and
when they ask what I'm doing, I'd say, "just some GIS stuff".  From
then on, I start introducong them to FOSS GIS.

maningq_<k‚œƒ£

On 4/16/07, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

--