new geoparser services

James Reid
All, for those interested in geoparsers I'm pleased to say that we
(University of Edinburgh) have recently made updates to our free Unlock
Text service.

We now support  2 separate geoparser engines - the 'Edinburgh LTG
Geoparser' and a modified Clavin engine. Details on both here:

http://edina.ac.uk/unlock/texts/

There is a documented  API and a simple beta demonstrator that allows
you to upload a document and geoparse it (for smallish documents only -
if you have a large amount of text please use the API)

Id be keen to get feedback and if folks that have  a play with it could
complete this : http://edin.ac/1dbC1IR   Id be very grateful.

Comments direct to this list also welcomed in the spirit of trying to
improve our offerings...

cheers

--
James Reid
Geoservices - EDINA - University of Edinburgh

t:+44(0)131 6511383 m:0759 5116988

"Stay vigilant." - Alan Stoob

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: new geoparser services

Brad Hards
On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 04:14:33 PM James Reid wrote:
> All, for those interested in geoparsers I'm pleased to say that we
> (University of Edinburgh) have recently made updates to our free Unlock
> Text service.
Thanks!

> We now support  2 separate geoparser engines - the 'Edinburgh LTG
> Geoparser' and a modified Clavin engine. Details on both here:
>
> http://edina.ac.uk/unlock/texts/
Recognising that it has different focus to some of the existing parsers (some
of which are linked off that site), do you think there is enough commonality to
start thinking about a common API that could be used (with minimal, if any,
changes) by various clients?

> Comments direct to this list also welcomed in the spirit of trying to
> improve our offerings...
Are these intended to be a (possibly future) open source release?

Re: new geoparser services

James Reid
Brad - the API we have is designed to cater for both parsers in a
generic fashion - so you can invoke either parser and have a (broadly)
similar response. CLAVIN is already open sourced and also comes as a
deployable VM I believe - the Edinburgh Geosparser is more complex as
its bulit on a range of existing opensourced NLP toolsets as well as a
bespoke pipleline. The code is available on request but the team lack
the resource to support a full properly maintained open source release.
For information, it was recently been used to geoparse a large corpus of
literary texts for the LitLong project - litlong.org.

Hope that helps? Any questions please ask.

regards

James