new community module: metadata

Niels Charlier
Hello,

We have developed a new module for geoserver that we'd like to
contribute to the community, and I would like to ask for approval.

I remember once already suggesting the idea behind the module to the
list a while ago and getting positive feedback / interest. The main
thing it does is adding an extra tab to the layer page with custom
metadata fields, based on a YAML configuration file in the data
directory. Each field as a type: text fields, numbers, dates,
checkboxes, UUID's, dropdowns, etcetera. You have multi-dimensional
fields and unlimited nested complex fields. These fields are stored in
the metadata map of the layer and therefore accessible via CSW mappings.

What is the problem we wanted to solve? Having complex metadata
information in geonetwork, but wanting a straight-forward way to sync
this with geoserver (for example title, keywords, etcetera). The chosen
solution is to keep all the metadata close to your data, and let
geonetwork automatically harvest everything from geoserver using the CSW
service, therefore removing the need to add/edit metadata in geonetwork
itself and avoiding differences between the two.

For this reason I also had to fix a number of bugs and add new features
in CSW with respect to the ISO metadata profile. There are already a
number of PR's related to this.

Here is a non-exclusive list of additional features included:
- creating templates and linking layers to (multiple) templates (for
example, with info about owner)
- import the metadata from geonetwork (in case you do already have a
geonetwork entry)
- automatically generating feature catalogue data from the feature type
of your vector layer

Kind Regards
Niels

Re: new community module: metadata

jody.garnett
That is quite the experiment. I know James was using keywords to host some external config in a standards compatible way.

+1 on the community module.

Are you sure you should not build out the CSW functionality more? XML vs YAML etc..

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 2:45 AM Niels Charlier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jody Garnett

Re: new community module: metadata

Kevin Smith-3
Also +1

On 12/02/2019 01:21, Jody Garnett wrote:
Are you sure you should not build out the CSW functionality more? XML vs YAML etc..

Well,  they do two very different things -> csw = output (service), metadata = input (GUI). The YAML is for config, while CSW currently uses .properties files for its config which could rather easily be extended to support yaml as well. The .properties mapping files seemed like a good idea at first to keep things very simple, but they get really out of hand when configuring a complex ISO scheme and become hard to maintain. An idea for the future.

This work has already lead me to a bunch of CSW improvements and bug fixes. Apparently the ISO metadata profile is really quite faulty atm. It would be great if I can find one or more people to help review all that stuff (a lot of the PR's currently have failed builds but that is because they depend on others that need to be review/merged first.)

Regards

Niels

[...]

Gabriel Roldan-2
Hey Niels,
that sounds really cool.
Have a community +1 vote here.

Cheers!
Gabriel.

El mar., 12 de feb. de 2019 a la(s) 10:03, Niels Charlier ([hidden email]) escribió:
[...]

Gabriel Roldán