new WFS layer name

Christopher Schmidt-2
So, we have a new vector-based wfs layer. We need to keep the old layer
naming the same for backwards compatibility. How do we name the new
vector-based WFS layer?
  Layer.WFS.Vector
  Layer.VectorWFS
  Layer.WFST
  Layer.Vector.WFS

?

There is a similar question once we implement a vector-based GeoRSS
layer, if ever; This might lead towards a tendancy for Layer.Vector.WFS,
Layer.Vector.GeoRSS, etc.

Thoughts welcome.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: new WFS layer name

Stephen Woodbridge
Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> So, we have a new vector-based wfs layer. We need to keep the old layer
> naming the same for backwards compatibility. How do we name the new
> vector-based WFS layer?
>   Layer.WFS.Vector
>   Layer.VectorWFS
>   Layer.WFST
>   Layer.Vector.WFS
>
> ?
>
> There is a similar question once we implement a vector-based GeoRSS
> layer, if ever; This might lead towards a tendancy for Layer.Vector.WFS,
> Layer.Vector.GeoRSS, etc.
>
> Thoughts welcome.
>
> Regards,

I like the Layer.Vector.* designation. this is easily expandable as
required.

-Steve

Re: new WFS layer name

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 09:01:38PM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> >So, we have a new vector-based wfs layer. We need to keep the old layer
> >naming the same for backwards compatibility. How do we name the new
> >vector-based WFS layer?
> >  Layer.WFS.Vector
> >  Layer.VectorWFS
> >  Layer.WFST
> >  Layer.Vector.WFS
> >
> >?
> >
> >There is a similar question once we implement a vector-based GeoRSS
> >layer, if ever; This might lead towards a tendancy for Layer.Vector.WFS,
> >Layer.Vector.GeoRSS, etc.

> I like the Layer.Vector.* designation. this is easily expandable as
> required.

Does it need to apply to layers which are unambiguous? (Layer.GML)

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: new WFS layer name

Stephen Woodbridge
Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 09:01:38PM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>>> So, we have a new vector-based wfs layer. We need to keep the old layer
>>> naming the same for backwards compatibility. How do we name the new
>>> vector-based WFS layer?
>>>  Layer.WFS.Vector
>>>  Layer.VectorWFS
>>>  Layer.WFST
>>>  Layer.Vector.WFS
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> There is a similar question once we implement a vector-based GeoRSS
>>> layer, if ever; This might lead towards a tendancy for Layer.Vector.WFS,
>>> Layer.Vector.GeoRSS, etc.
>
>> I like the Layer.Vector.* designation. this is easily expandable as
>> required.
>
> Does it need to apply to layers which are unambiguous? (Layer.GML)
>
> Regards,

At the risk of reversing my opinion, since we only have a few of these
and it would probably be good if the variants are list side by side in a
listing. I think something like:

Layer.WFS
Layer.WFSVector
Layer.WFS.Vector
Layer.WFS_V
Layer.WFST

Layer.GeoRSS
Layer.GeoRSSVector
Layer.GeoRSS.Vector
Layer.GeoRSS_V

would be better. I do not think we need to clutter the names space by
adding Vector to the Unambiguous ones.

-Steve

Re: new WFS layer name

Schuyler Erle-2
On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 19:58 -0500, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> So, we have a new vector-based wfs layer. We need to keep the old layer
> naming the same for backwards compatibility. How do we name the new
> vector-based WFS layer?
>   Layer.WFS.Vector
>   Layer.VectorWFS
>   Layer.WFST
>   Layer.Vector.WFS
>
> ?
>
> There is a similar question once we implement a vector-based GeoRSS
> layer, if ever; This might lead towards a tendancy for Layer.Vector.WFS,
> Layer.Vector.GeoRSS, etc.

I'm not super fond of any of these choices. Part of the original design
of Layer.WFS was intended to make it possible to swap in different
Feature classes that provided different functionality in the application
using the data received from the WFS. Is it possible that we can get
this same effect using provided Feature classes, rather than having to
name everything awkwardly?

SDE

Re: new WFS layer name

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 02:36:15AM -0400, Schuyler Erle wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 19:58 -0500, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > So, we have a new vector-based wfs layer. We need to keep the old layer
> > naming the same for backwards compatibility. How do we name the new
> > vector-based WFS layer?
> >   Layer.WFS.Vector
> >   Layer.VectorWFS
> >   Layer.WFST
> >   Layer.Vector.WFS
> >
> > ?
> >
> > There is a similar question once we implement a vector-based GeoRSS
> > layer, if ever; This might lead towards a tendancy for Layer.Vector.WFS,
> > Layer.Vector.GeoRSS, etc.
>
> I'm not super fond of any of these choices. Part of the original design
> of Layer.WFS was intended to make it possible to swap in different
> Feature classes that provided different functionality in the application
> using the data received from the WFS. Is it possible that we can get
> this same effect using provided Feature classes, rather than having to
> name everything awkwardly?

It doubles the code. It's not impossible, just painful.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta

Re: new WFS layer name

John Cole X
Christopher,
  I'm not opposed to changing the current WFS to Layer.WFS.Marker.  I'm not
a big fan of making things harder for compatibility sake.  I'll fix my stuff
no matter what :-)

John

So, we have a new vector-based wfs layer. We need to keep the old layer
naming the same for backwards compatibility. How do we name the new
vector-based WFS layer?
  Layer.WFS.Vector
  Layer.VectorWFS
  Layer.WFST
  Layer.Vector.WFS

?

There is a similar question once we implement a vector-based GeoRSS
layer, if ever; This might lead towards a tendancy for Layer.Vector.WFS,
Layer.Vector.GeoRSS, etc.

Thoughts welcome.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta
7:19 PM

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

Re: new WFS layer name

Christopher Schmidt-2
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 07:09:04AM -0600, John Cole wrote:
> Christopher,
>   I'm not opposed to changing the current WFS to Layer.WFS.Marker.  I'm not
> a big fan of making things harder for compatibility sake.  I'll fix my stuff
> no matter what :-)

Yeah, I'm worried about more than you -- I'm sure that there are other
users in the woodwork who have done the same thing :)

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta