new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender") - broken??

new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender") - broken??

geep999
Hi,
Dozens of my maps which worked reliably until the yesterday (15 Mar 2012) are now broken.
The layer selector partially opens showing "Mapnik", and the zoom selector is at maximum zoom. Then it hangs.
No map - just white.
Broken example here: http://pgg999.co.uk/gpx/osmarenderbroken.html
Workaround (no Osmarender) here: http://pgg999.co.uk/gpx/osmarenderremoved.html

I had setup base layers, with default to Mapnik, and Osmarender as an alternate.
                        map.addLayer(new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Mapnik("Mapnik"));
                        map.addLayer(new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender"));

The problem is Osmarender. When I remove it as a base layer all is OK.
Is there a known problem with Osmarender? (A quick Google didn't find anything).

I am using what I assume to be current default version of openlayers and openstreetmap scripts thus:
        <script src="http://www.openlayers.org/dev/OpenLayers.js"></script>        <script src="http://www.openstreetmap.org/openlayers/OpenStreetMap.js"></script>
Cheers,
Peter

Re: new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender") - broken??

emmexx
Il 03/16/2012 10:52 AM, geep999 scrisse:

> The problem is Osmarender. When I remove it as a base layer all is OK.
> Is there a known problem with Osmarender? (A quick Google didn't find
> anything).

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tiles@home

top of the page.

        maxx

Re: new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender") - broken??

geep999
maxx - Thanks for that. I hadn't found that from my (quick) Google.

Just a comment - some of the examples on http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/, and others, seem to be broken as a consequence. This is quite disconcerting for newcomers to OpenLayers. Perhaps the powers-that-be could make a check on the examples, and update where necessary.

gpx2png.pl, in default mode, is also broken - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Gpx2png as it tries to read tiles from http://tah.openstreetmap.org/Tiles/tile/

Cheers,
Peter

Re: new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender") - broken??

erilem

On Saturday, March 17, 2012, geep999 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> maxx - Thanks for that. I hadn't found that from my (quick) Google.
>
> Just a comment - some of the examples on
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/ http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/ ,
> and others, seem to be broken as a consequence.

Could you please be more specific? What examples are broken exactly?

Thanks.

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac, Cedex

Tel : 00 33 4 79 44 44 96
Mail : [hidden email]
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender") - broken??

Charles Galpin-2
It will be anything using OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender. I found this earlier last week as we were pointing to openstreetmap.org ofr the javascript. The fix is copy the javascript locally to avoid being caught by surprise and change to OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Mapnik.

The OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender class seems to have been removed but a quick google didn't reveal any announcement or deprecation period.

charles

On Saturday, March 17, 2012, Charles Galpin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It will be anything using OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender. I found this earlier last week as we were pointing to openstreetmap.org ofr the javascript. The fix is copy the javascript locally to avoid being caught by surprise and change to OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Mapnik.
> The OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender class seems to have been removed but a quick google didn't reveal any announcement or deprecation period.

I don't think OpenLayers has ever had OSM.Mapnik or OSM.Osmarender.

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac, Cedex

Tel : 00 33 4 79 44 44 96
Mail : [hidden email]
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender") - broken??

Charles Galpin-2
Well, this is what I was linking to

http://www.openstreetmap.org/openlayers/OpenStreetMap.js

I don't have a copy of what it used to be but can tell you is used to have Osmarenderer and you can see it now has Mapnik :)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/openlayers/OpenStreetMap.js

Should we be using some other source for these classes?

charles

www.openstreetmap.org has specific Layer.OSM classes, inheriting from OpenLayers' OSM class. So any question regarding these subclasses should be directed to OSM.

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac, Cedex

Tel : 00 33 4 79 44 44 96
Mail : [hidden email]
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender") - broken??

geep999
erilem wrote
On Saturday, March 17, 2012, geep999 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> maxx - Thanks for that. I hadn't found that from my (quick) Google.
>
> Just a comment - some of the examples on
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/ http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/ ,
> and others, seem to be broken as a consequence.

Could you please be more specific? What examples are broken exactly?
Eric - Apologies - I withdraw my comment - I copied the wrong link. Seemingly it's all an OpenStreetMap issue.

An OpenStreetMap example I used in the past has recently (16 Mar 2012) been changed and now doesn't have any references to OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Openlayers_Track_example

I hadn't realised that OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender was coming from OpenStreetMap.js and not OpenLayers.js.
OpenStreetMap.js has changed recently, and sometime since 10 Dec 2011 has dropped all references to Osmarender.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender") - broken??

Andreas Hocevar-2
Eric, I think the point is that the osmarander tiles are no longer
available, so our examples that have an OSM layer configured with the
osmarender tile urls (tah.openstreetmap.org) are broken.

Andreas.

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Eric Lemoine
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday, March 17, 2012, Charles Galpin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, this is what I was linking to
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/openlayers/OpenStreetMap.js
>>
>> I don't have a copy of what it used to be but can tell you is used to have
>> Osmarenderer and you can see it now has Mapnik :)
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/openlayers/OpenStreetMap.js
>
> www.openstreetmap.org has specific Layer.OSM classes, inheriting from
> OpenLayers' OSM class. So any question regarding these subclasses should be
> directed to OSM.
>

> --
> Eric Lemoine
>
> Camptocamp France SAS
> Savoie Technolac, BP 352
> 73377 Le Bourget du Lac, Cedex
>
> Tel : 00 33 4 79 44 44 96
> Mail : [hidden email]
> http://www.camptocamp.com

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Andreas Hocevar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Eric, I think the point is that the osmarander tiles are no longer
> available, so our examples that have an OSM layer configured with the
> osmarender tile urls (tah.openstreetmap.org) are broken.

Ok. spherical-mercator.html is the only impacted example, I'll fix it.

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac, Cedex

Tel : 00 33 4 79 44 44 96
Mail : [hidden email]
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM.Osmarender("Osmarender") - broken??

erilem
On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Eric Lemoine
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Andreas Hocevar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Eric, I think the point is that the osmarander tiles are no longer
>> available, so our examples that have an OSM layer configured with the
>> osmarender tile urls (tah.openstreetmap.org) are broken.
>
> Ok. spherical-mercator.html is the only impacted example, I'll fix it.

Fixed. https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/pull/330.

Thanks for reporting this.