multilingual support in app-schema

Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus-2

Hi to all

I have some linguist questions about app-schema development (somethings are not clear on my head, need some clarifications).

Using Geoserver and INSPIRE we can send WFS requests with language parameters and request content in a specific language:

1) Can I get a WFS feature based on the requested language, based on app schema programming something like ???

eg: English
<sa:SamplingPoint>
:
<dummy:SoilProperty>
:
</sa:SamplingPoint>

eg Portuguese

<sa:SamplingPoint>
:
<dummy:PropriedadeSolo>
:
</sa:SamplingPoint>

2) Content of the WFS feature in the specific language

English:
<dummy:SoilProperty>Soil with bad properties</dummy:SoilProperty>

Portuguese:
<dummy:SoilProperty>Solo com ma' propriedades</dummy:SoilProperty>

For this case I was thinking the about the vocabulary  translation
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/app-schema/cql-functions.html

Comments and suggestions ?

Thank you

--
ISRIC - World Soil Information
Post: PO box 353, 6700 AJ, Wageningen,

Re: multilingual support in app-schema

geowolf
Hi Jorge,
I am doubtful about internationalizing (i18n) the xml element names, because:
  • That effectively create a new schema, so it would be a different feature type (e.g., otherwise the GetFeature output would not match the DescribeFeatureType one)
  • Elements parsing should be targeted to "machines", adding i18n to it would make things harder imho, if anything maybe put the i18n in the UI that consumes the service instead
The contents on the other side, that makes more sense. I believe the easiest path would be to use
CQL along with the "env" function, which would pick the target language from a parameter in the
request looking like "&env=lang:es".

Hope this helps

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: multilingual support in app-schema

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Jorge,

I have seen two approaches to internationalisation:

(1) Application schemas that use xml:lang to label multivalued
properties with their language. All values are returned. This approach
seems to be used in ISO 19112 gazetteers. Your example would become:

<dummy:SoilProperty xml:lang="en">Soil with bad
properties</dummy:SoilProperty>
<dummy:SoilProperty xml:lang="pt">Solo com ma'
propriedades</dummy:SoilProperty>

(2) Internationalised names that are provided in an external controlled
vocabulary service with language support. The WFS response contains
xlink:href that are HTTP URIs which can be resolved to this external
service. This approach is also used for concepts encoded in SKOS. See
for example, SISSVoc:
http://www.sissvoc.info/
http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/system/files/swj880.pdf

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 23/12/16 21:17, Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus wrote:

> Hi to all
>
> I have some linguist questions about app-schema development (somethings
> are not clear on my head, need some clarifications).
>
> Using Geoserver and INSPIRE we can send WFS requests with language
> parameters and request content in a specific language:
>
> 1) Can I get a WFS feature based on the requested language, based on app
> schema programming something like ???
>
> eg: English
> <sa:SamplingPoint>
> :
> <dummy:*SoilProperty*>
> :
> </sa:SamplingPoint>
>
> eg Portuguese
>
> <sa:SamplingPoint>
> :
> <dummy:*PropriedadeSolo*>
> :
> </sa:SamplingPoint>
>

> 2) Content of the WFS feature in the specific language
>
> English:
> <dummy:SoilProperty>Soil with bad properties</dummy:SoilProperty>
>
> Portuguese:
> <dummy:SoilProperty>Solo com ma' propriedades</dummy:SoilProperty>
>
> For this case I was thinking the about the vocabulary  translation
> http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/app-schema/cql-functions.html
>

> Comments and suggestions ?
>
> Thank you

> Training and support from Colfax.