motion: component 1 acceptance

jody.garnett
We have completed our review of styleguide-osgeo.pdf which was the last remaining item for component 1 acceptance.

- motion: Accept Component 1 - Branding and Online Style Guide

Committee members:
  • Peter Batty
  • Nicolas Bozon
  • Arnulf Christl
  • Astrid Emde
  • Jody Garnett - +1 initial motion
  • Harrison Grundy
  • Jeff Johnson
  • Alex Mandel
  • Peter Mooney
  • Cameron Shorter
  • Guido Stein
  • Marc Vloemans
Community support:
  • TBD
I will ask that this motion be held open until Wednesday November 1st, and receive a 50% response rate from committee members. Any community reivew will be acknowledged and is appreciated.

In support of this motion:

The deliverables for this item are:

- strategy - previously accepted
- logo's redesign - previously accepted
- style guide

--
Jody Garnett

Re: motion: component 1 acceptance

Peter Mooney
+1 from me.

I've just had a proper look through the Styleguide document in PDF. It reads very clearly to me (and also looks great).

I might have missed this - but is there somewhere where I can access a sample letterhead document in Open Document format? Apologies if this is in an obvious place.

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

We need help to convert these designs to open office format. There is also a request for biz card template in word etc...

The collateral was accepted as component 3, and included the templates in the format provided by the graphic designer. We will need to convert to the wide range of software used by our community.
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 10:41 AM Peter Mooney <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alex Mandel-2
Overall the guide is good. It's a little unclear what are the "rules" vs
suggested implementations.

Will there be an editable version of the guide for making corrections?

Quick Review

* Links within document are broken. To location of logos, fonts, collateral.

* With some of the examples, it's unclear which items are simply
examples. Do all table cloths need to be colored with the compass, or
would single color work, which colors (major cost savings)? T-shirt
colors. I'm not expecting exhaustive examples, just clearly mark the
examples section.

* Cartography example pg 19 doesn't match text. The land is not from the
green palette.

* Related to previous comment p10 Palette, columns are not labeled as
green, blue, gray palettes. The top blue can easily be confused for a gray.

* Are the icons part of a font, or svg files (or both), do they have names?

I suspect the Marketing committee can fix or clarify most of these points.

Thanks,
Alex

On 10/25/2017 08:30 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> We have completed our review of styleguide-osgeo.pdf
> <https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/branding/styleguide-osgeo.pdf>
> which
> was the last remaining item for component 1 acceptance.
>
> - motion: Accept Component 1 - Branding and Online Style Guide
>
> Committee members:
>
>    - Peter Batty
>    - Nicolas Bozon
>    - Arnulf Christl
>    - Astrid Emde
>    - Jody Garnett - +1 initial motion
>    - Harrison Grundy
>    - Jeff Johnson
>    - Alex Mandel
>    - Peter Mooney
>    - Cameron Shorter
>    - Guido Stein
>    - Marc Vloemans
>
> Community support:
>
>    - TBD
>
> I will ask that this motion be held open until Wednesday November 1st, and
> receive a 50% response rate from committee members. Any community reivew
> will be acknowledged and is appreciated.
>
> In support of this motion:
>
> - https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/branding
> -
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/branding/styleguide-osgeo.pdf
>
> The deliverables for this item are:
>
> - strategy - previously accepted
> - logo's redesign - previously accepted
> - style guide
>
> --
> Jody Garnett

Re: motion: component 1 acceptance

jody.garnett
I think all the instructions are rules, as noted in earlier conversation we want to be very clear with rules (as we know we will run into misunderstandings).

The only case where we may have suggestions is for distinct brands, where we can provide example to inspire.

For the collateral I view them as examples of how to apply the branding to things like facebook and table cloths. The templates provided as part of component 3 make applying he branding even easier.

Alex can we make a bug report for Pim for the broken links and other missing information you noted?

I have added your comments to https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/issues/110

--
Jody Garnett

On 25 October 2017 at 11:12, Alex M <[hidden email]> wrote:
Overall the guide is good. It's a little unclear what are the "rules" vs
suggested implementations.

Will there be an editable version of the guide for making corrections?

Quick Review

* Links within document are broken. To location of logos, fonts, collateral.

* With some of the examples, it's unclear which items are simply
examples. Do all table cloths need to be colored with the compass, or
would single color work, which colors (major cost savings)? T-shirt
colors. I'm not expecting exhaustive examples, just clearly mark the
examples section.

* Cartography example pg 19 doesn't match text. The land is not from the
green palette.

* Related to previous comment p10 Palette, columns are not labeled as
green, blue, gray palettes. The top blue can easily be confused for a gray.

* Are the icons part of a font, or svg files (or both), do they have names?

I suspect the Marketing committee can fix or clarify most of these points.

Thanks,
Alex

On 10/25/2017 08:30 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> We have completed our review of styleguide-osgeo.pdf
> <https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/branding/styleguide-osgeo.pdf>
> which
> was the last remaining item for component 1 acceptance.
>
> - motion: Accept Component 1 - Branding and Online Style Guide
>
> Committee members:
>
>    - Peter Batty
>    - Nicolas Bozon
>    - Arnulf Christl
>    - Astrid Emde
>    - Jody Garnett - +1 initial motion
>    - Harrison Grundy
>    - Jeff Johnson
>    - Alex Mandel
>    - Peter Mooney
>    - Cameron Shorter
>    - Guido Stein
>    - Marc Vloemans
>
> Community support:
>
>    - TBD
>
> I will ask that this motion be held open until Wednesday November 1st, and
> receive a 50% response rate from committee members. Any community reivew
> will be acknowledged and is appreciated.
>
> In support of this motion:
>
> - https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/branding
> -
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/branding/styleguide-osgeo.pdf
>
> The deliverables for this item are:
>
> - strategy - previously accepted
> - logo's redesign - previously accepted
> - style guide
>
> --
> Jody Garnett

Re: motion: component 1 acceptance

Guido Stein-3
+1 I wonder if I can send you all Kudos in the mail.. do they even make judos anymore.

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 12:21 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have added your comments to https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/issues/110

--
Jody Garnett

On 25 October 2017 at 11:12, Alex M <[hidden email]> wrote:
Overall the guide is good. It's a little unclear what are the "rules" vs
suggested implementations.

Will there be an editable version of the guide for making corrections?

Quick Review

* Links within document are broken. To location of logos, fonts, collateral.

* With some of the examples, it's unclear which items are simply
examples. Do all table cloths need to be colored with the compass, or
would single color work, which colors (major cost savings)? T-shirt
colors. I'm not expecting exhaustive examples, just clearly mark the
examples section.

* Cartography example pg 19 doesn't match text. The land is not from the
green palette.

* Related to previous comment p10 Palette, columns are not labeled as
green, blue, gray palettes. The top blue can easily be confused for a gray.

* Are the icons part of a font, or svg files (or both), do they have names?

I suspect the Marketing committee can fix or clarify most of these points.

Thanks,
Alex

On 10/25/2017 08:30 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> We have completed our review of styleguide-osgeo.pdf
> <https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/branding/styleguide-osgeo.pdf>
> which
> was the last remaining item for component 1 acceptance.
>
> - motion: Accept Component 1 - Branding and Online Style Guide
>
> Committee members:
>
>    - Peter Batty
>    - Nicolas Bozon
>    - Arnulf Christl
>    - Astrid Emde
>    - Jody Garnett - +1 initial motion
>    - Harrison Grundy
>    - Jeff Johnson
>    - Alex Mandel
>    - Peter Mooney
>    - Cameron Shorter
>    - Guido Stein
>    - Marc Vloemans
>
> Community support:
>
>    - TBD
>
> I will ask that this motion be held open until Wednesday November 1st, and
> receive a 50% response rate from committee members. Any community reivew
> will be acknowledged and is appreciated.
>
> In support of this motion:
>
> - https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/branding
> -
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/marketing/branding/styleguide-osgeo.pdf
>
> The deliverables for this item are:
>
> - strategy - previously accepted
> - logo's redesign - previously accepted
> - style guide
>
> --
> Jody Garnett

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).

Re: motion: component 1 acceptance

jody.garnett
This motion did not pass, lack of participation, please advise.
  • Peter Batty
  • Nicolas Bozon
  • Arnulf Christl
  • Astrid Emde
  • Jody Garnett - +1 initial motion
  • Harrison Grundy
  • Jeff Johnson
  • Alex Mandel
  • Peter Mooney +1
  • Cameron Shorter
  • Guido Stein +1
  • Marc Vloemans

--
Jody Garnett

On 25 October 2017 at 08:30, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alex there is a request for replacement text: https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/issues/110

Please provide new text or image for the following:

  • Cartography example pg 19 doesn't match text. The land is not from the green palette.

If you can do so before the meeting please provide replacement text on that ticket so we can close this out.