motion : accept vMap as an OSGeo Comunity Project

motion : accept vMap as an OSGeo Comunity Project

Armand Bahi-2

Hello,

Few months ago on the 13th "Jornadas de SIG libre" in Girona (Spain) we've make a presentation of our WebGIS vMap (https://vimeo.com/showcase/6126225/video/347719352).

vMap is an OpenSource WebGIS tool based on PostgreSQL / PostGIS, you can find more information on the documentation https://vmap.readthedocs.io/en/latest/presentation/presentation/

At the end of the presentation María Arias de Reyna from OSGeo Spain asked me why do not make vMap as an OSGeo Community Project and I told her it would be an honor to do it. So we start working on traducing the software and documentation and searching other companies to share the project management.

Today translation is almost done and a company that work mostly on 3D data using lidar and drones wants to join the team.

We are really interested on working with OSGeo so I would be glad to have your opinion.

Armand Bahi
Software development engineer / vMap project manager
[hidden email]

Re: motion : accept vMap as an OSGeo Comunity Project

Jo Cook
Hi Armand,

Welcome! I've taken a look at the gitlab repository at https://gitlab.veremes.net/open-source/vmap and checked our guidelines at https://www.osgeo.org/about/committees/incubation/

The guidelines for community projects are:
  • geospatial
  • open source license, with source code check of headers
  • accepts contributions
It's definitely geospatial, so that ticks off the first item in the list. The license is an unusual one to me, and I had to google it, which led me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CeCILL. People with more experience that I might have a different view on this, but I wonder if you should state somewhere the difference between your license and BSD/MIT?

Also, I did a random check of some code in a few folders and I couldn't find many files with license headers. Is that something you could look at?

Finally contributions- I can see from the repository contributors graph that you have commits from a number of people, which is good, but including a contributors.md file to help guide new people wanting to commit would be helpful. This might be the best place to add some explanation about your license.

All the best

Jo

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 4:21 PM Armand Bahi <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For urgent responses at that time, please visit support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744 009 w: astuntechnology.com twitter:@astuntech

Company registration no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: motion : accept vMap as an OSGeo Comunity Project

Armand Bahi-2

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your welcome

For the license we use the Cecill-B witch is basically a BSD French adapted, if this is a problem I think we could change to BSD.

In our code files we have never included a license headers I'm going to work on this and hopefully get it done next week.

Creating a contributors.md file seems a good idea, I'll work on this too.

Tanks for your help,
Best Regards