more advanced editing tools

12

more advanced editing tools

Bernhard Ströbl
Dear list,

during a course I realized that my institution needs some more editing
tools for advanced editing tasks e.g.
- prolong a line
- cut polygon with feature (line or polygon) from another layer
- save all layers being in editing mode in one go
- some more

A little background: when digitizing data we are not starting from
scratch but are digitzing on existing data in many different layers
(parcels, restricted areas ...). A new polygon normally needs to fit
into these existing boundaries. Trying to digitize along existing
boundaries of several layers and snapping to them is cumbersome and you
are very likely missing snapping nodes (even when using trace digitize
plugin).

Is any of you aware of similar functions in a plugin (I know cadTools)?
Is anyone interested in joining me to create such tools as a Python
plugin? Which functions would you like to have?

regards

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 7744 (20121129) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: more advanced editing tools

Giovanni Manghi-2
Hi Bernhard,

> Is any of you aware of similar functions in a plugin (I know cadTools)?
> Is anyone interested in joining me to create such tools as a Python
> plugin? Which functions would you like to have?

also around here many people feel the needs of more advanced tools.
This ones are often requested by people that spend a lot of time
digitizing:

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4933 -> fill hole (and fill space)

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4996 -> remove overlapped areas

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4997 -> avoid intersection when
copying/pasting polygons

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5040 -> split lines with points

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5234 -> add ring + automatic "fill hole" tool

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5342 -> continue editing of already
existing line geometries

cheers

-- Giovanni --

Re: more advanced editing tools

Leyan
Regarding the workflow you described at the end, do you know about
"avoiding intersection" ?
http://darrencope.com/2011/10/19/qgis-topological-editing/
This is much easier to use than snapping points, and it works across
different layers.

Regarding the more advanced digitization features, I think the best
would be to improve CAD tools instead of creating yet another plugin
that people will not find. I agree that these features are important.
One I would like is to see the distance and angle directly during
digitizing, while you enter a line.

Regards,

Leyan

On 11/29/2012 08:35 PM, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> during a course I realized that my institution needs some more editing
> tools for advanced editing tasks e.g.
> - prolong a line
> - cut polygon with feature (line or polygon) from another layer
> - save all layers being in editing mode in one go
> - some more
>
> A little background: when digitizing data we are not starting from
> scratch but are digitzing on existing data in many different layers
> (parcels, restricted areas ...). A new polygon normally needs to fit
> into these existing boundaries. Trying to digitize along existing
> boundaries of several layers and snapping to them is cumbersome and
> you are very likely missing snapping nodes (even when using trace
> digitize plugin).
>
> Is any of you aware of similar functions in a plugin (I know
> cadTools)? Is anyone interested in joining me to create such tools as
> a Python plugin? Which functions would you like to have?
>
> regards
>
> Bernhard

Re: more advanced editing tools

Bernhard Ströbl
Hi Leyan,

I know "avoid intersection" and it works ok but having several layers as
digitizing base and creating a new polygon it is not very handy (open
menu untick what is ticked, tick what you need now, digitize the
polygon). It seems more straight-forward (especially from a user's point
of view) to copy a polygon from a base layer (e.g. parcels) into your
edit layer, select a polygon/line in another layer, activate your edit
layer again and click on a "clip" button. More convenient would be
Giovannis "fill space" option.
Regarding cadTools I would expect CAD-like functions in there, i.e.
construction things, clipping, saving all layers etc. do IMHO not really
fit to CAD.

Are there any other editTools around?

Bernhard

Am 29.11.2012 15:50, schrieb Leyan:

> Regarding the workflow you described at the end, do you know about
> "avoiding intersection" ?
> http://darrencope.com/2011/10/19/qgis-topological-editing/
> This is much easier to use than snapping points, and it works across
> different layers.
>
> Regarding the more advanced digitization features, I think the best
> would be to improve CAD tools instead of creating yet another plugin
> that people will not find. I agree that these features are important.
> One I would like is to see the distance and angle directly during
> digitizing, while you enter a line.
>
> Regards,
>
> Leyan
>
> On 11/29/2012 08:35 PM, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> during a course I realized that my institution needs some more editing
>> tools for advanced editing tasks e.g.
>> - prolong a line
>> - cut polygon with feature (line or polygon) from another layer
>> - save all layers being in editing mode in one go
>> - some more
>>
>> A little background: when digitizing data we are not starting from
>> scratch but are digitzing on existing data in many different layers
>> (parcels, restricted areas ...). A new polygon normally needs to fit
>> into these existing boundaries. Trying to digitize along existing
>> boundaries of several layers and snapping to them is cumbersome and
>> you are very likely missing snapping nodes (even when using trace
>> digitize plugin).
>>
>> Is any of you aware of similar functions in a plugin (I know
>> cadTools)? Is anyone interested in joining me to create such tools as
>> a Python plugin? Which functions would you like to have?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Bernhard

Bernhard Ströbl
Anwendungsbetreuer GIS

Kommunale Immobilien Jena
Am Anger 26
07743 Jena

Tel.: 03641 49- 5190
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Internet: www.kij.de

Kommunale Immobilien Jena
Eigenbetrieb der Stadt Jena
Werkleiter: Dr. Götz Blankenburg

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 7745 (20121129) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: more advanced editing tools

Bernhard Ströbl
sorry, forgot the list...

Hi Giovanni,

thanks for your feedback. I comment below.

Am 29.11.2012 15:01, schrieb Giovanni Manghi:

> Hi Bernhard,
>
>> Is any of you aware of similar functions in a plugin (I know cadTools)?
>> Is anyone interested in joining me to create such tools as a Python
>> plugin? Which functions would you like to have?
>
> also around here many people feel the needs of more advanced tools.
> This ones are often requested by people that spend a lot of time
> digitizing:
>
> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4933 ->  fill hole (and fill space)

this was requested here, too. Fill hole seems (theoretically) quite
simple, the other one is harder:
1) which layers are defined to form the space to be filled. Any line or
polygon layer could do it. Maybe one would use the ones that are ticked
for avoid intersection.
2) what happens if these layers do not form a closed boundary around the
point where the user clicked? how would you detect this?

Filling a hole can also be achieved by ticking "avoid intersection" for
the layer with the polygon and then digitizing generously around the
hole. In this respect I would like to have the whole snapping business
more handy: You have to click the menu, scroll in the list, tick here
and there... (no idea though how it could be improved)

> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4996 ->  remove overlapped areas

requested here, too. I have solved this in Python already.

> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4997 ->  avoid intersection when
> copying/pasting polygons

+1

> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5040 ->  split lines with points

this shouldn't be too difficult

> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5234 ->  add ring + automatic "fill hole" tool

you would not need this if you had the first part of #4933

> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5342 ->  continue editing of already
> existing line geometries

agreed, currently you would have to add a new line and merge it with the
existing one afterwards. Maybe this would be the way how to solve this
issue in a plugin.

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 7745 (20121129) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: more advanced editing tools

Angelos Tzotsos
On 11/29/2012 02:35 PM, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> during a course I realized that my institution needs some more editing
> tools for advanced editing tasks e.g.
> - prolong a line
> - cut polygon with feature (line or polygon) from another layer
> - save all layers being in editing mode in one go
> - some more
>
> A little background: when digitizing data we are not starting from
> scratch but are digitzing on existing data in many different layers
> (parcels, restricted areas ...). A new polygon normally needs to fit
> into these existing boundaries. Trying to digitize along existing
> boundaries of several layers and snapping to them is cumbersome and
> you are very likely missing snapping nodes (even when using trace
> digitize plugin).
>
> Is any of you aware of similar functions in a plugin (I know
> cadTools)? Is anyone interested in joining me to create such tools as
> a Python plugin? Which functions would you like to have?
>
> regards
>
> Bernhard
>

> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus
> signature database 7744 (20121129) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Hi Bernhard,

Excellent timing, I was thinking about creating a new functionality that
I need for a parcel digitization project.
One tool I have in mind is parallel moving of a side of a polygon in
order to achieve a specific area for the polygon (and at the same time
maintain topological integrity with near polygons.

Cheers,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory

Re: more advanced editing tools

Bernhard Ströbl
Angelos,

would you see this functionality rather in cadTools or in a new plugin?

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 7746 (20121129) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: more advanced editing tools

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi Bernhard,

I agree that some editing ideas are not strictly CAD but we have to
think the end user and where the tools are expected to be found more
easily. Also the number of new tools are important. For 2-5 new tools,
extending cadTools would be more appropriate than a new plugin.

Angelos

On 11/29/2012 06:36 PM, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

> Angelos,
>
> would you see this functionality rather in cadTools or in a new plugin?
>
> Bernhard
>
> Am 29.11.2012 17:28, schrieb Angelos Tzotsos:
>> On 11/29/2012 02:35 PM, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> during a course I realized that my institution needs some more editing
>>> tools for advanced editing tasks e.g.
>>> - prolong a line
>>> - cut polygon with feature (line or polygon) from another layer
>>> - save all layers being in editing mode in one go
>>> - some more
>>>
>>> A little background: when digitizing data we are not starting from
>>> scratch but are digitzing on existing data in many different layers
>>> (parcels, restricted areas ...). A new polygon normally needs to fit
>>> into these existing boundaries. Trying to digitize along existing
>>> boundaries of several layers and snapping to them is cumbersome and
>>> you are very likely missing snapping nodes (even when using trace
>>> digitize plugin).
>>>
>>> Is any of you aware of similar functions in a plugin (I know
>>> cadTools)? Is anyone interested in joining me to create such tools as
>>> a Python plugin? Which functions would you like to have?
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Bernhard
>>>

>>> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus
>>> signature database 7744 (20121129) __________
>>>
>>> The message was checked by ESET Mail Security.
>>> http://www.eset.com

>> Hi Bernhard,
>>
>> Excellent timing, I was thinking about creating a new functionality that
>> I need for a parcel digitization project.
>> One tool I have in mind is parallel moving of a side of a polygon in
>> order to achieve a specific area for the polygon (and at the same time
>> maintain topological integrity with near polygons.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Angelos
>>

> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus
> signature database 7746 (20121129) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory
National Technical University of Athens
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: more advanced editing tools

Giovanni Manghi-2
 Hi Bernhard

> this was requested here, too. Fill hole seems (theoretically) quite simple,
> the other one is harder:
> 1) which layers are defined to form the space to be filled. Any line or
> polygon layer could do it. Maybe one would use the ones that are ticked for
> avoid intersection.
> 2) what happens if these layers do not form a closed boundary around the
> point where the user clicked? how would you detect this?

actually my suggestion wasn't that advanced:

* the tool should work on just one layer

* the tool should be able to fill all holes and/or spaces (with
polygons) in one go

or

* allow the user click on a specific hole/space, fill it (with a
polygon) and pop-up the dialog for attributes

there is a plugin (does not seem mantained) that works in a similar
way, so I guess that it implemets a detection code, anyway it just
fills holes (not spaces), one at the time, and does not ask to fill
attributes.

cheers!

Re: more advanced editing tools

Ramon Andinach
On 30/11/2012, at 24:01 , Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

[snip]

> Filling a hole can also be achieved by ticking "avoid intersection" for
> the layer with the polygon and then digitizing generously around the
> hole. In this respect I would like to have the whole snapping business
> more handy: You have to click the menu, scroll in the list, tick here
> and there... (no idea though how it could be improved)

The simplest snapping approach I've seen is a keyboard shortcut (S), and then watch as the programme tries to snap to anything in sight (not so good if you have many layers).

But, I wonder, would it be possible to pop the snapping menu out into a panel (or similar) so that when you're furiously digitising it was easily accessible?
or
Maybe if (S) wasn't used that could take you straight to the list.

-ramon.

Re: more advanced editing tools

Bernhard Ströbl
Hi Giovanni,

>   Hi Bernhard
>

>> this was requested here, too. Fill hole seems (theoretically) quite simple,
>> the other one is harder:
>> 1) which layers are defined to form the space to be filled. Any line or
>> polygon layer could do it. Maybe one would use the ones that are ticked for
>> avoid intersection.
>> 2) what happens if these layers do not form a closed boundary around the
>> point where the user clicked? how would you detect this?
>

> actually my suggestion wasn't that advanced:
>
> * the tool should work on just one layer

in that case the algorithm might be easier: just disoolve all polygons
in the layer into one (spaces are thus converted into holes) and fill
all the holes in it. Might take a while with layers with many or complex
polygons, though.

> * the tool should be able to fill all holes and/or spaces (with
> polygons) in one go

that is similar but different from what I had in mind. I was thinking
about the user clicking in a hole or space and just this one is filled.
The algorithm however would be the same.

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 7747 (20121129) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: more advanced editing tools

Bernhard Ströbl
Hi Ramon,

Am 29.11.2012 23:11, schrieb Ramon Andiñach:

> On 30/11/2012, at 24:01 , Bernhard Ströbl wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>> Filling a hole can also be achieved by ticking "avoid intersection" for
>> the layer with the polygon and then digitizing generously around the
>> hole. In this respect I would like to have the whole snapping business
>> more handy: You have to click the menu, scroll in the list, tick here
>> and there... (no idea though how it could be improved)
>
> The simplest snapping approach I've seen is a keyboard shortcut (S), and then watch as the programme tries to snap to anything in sight (not so good if you have many layers).

not neccessarily because you can define your snap layers and snapping
should only occur with one of those (though if you choose to snap to
segments there would be an abundance of potential snap points)

> But, I wonder, would it be possible to pop the snapping menu out into a panel (or similar) so that when you're furiously digitising it was easily accessible?

I think this would smoothen the workflow. We could file a ticket for
this. I my case I have many line and point layers to which I can snap
but I have to scroll a lot to get to a certain polygon layer that I want
to tick for "avoid intersections". Maybe we could have another column in
the snapping options dialog with the geometry type in it so we could
sort on that to have all polygon layers together?

Bernhard

> or
> Maybe if (S) wasn't used that could take you straight to the list.
>
> -ramon.

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 7747 (20121129) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: more advanced editing tools

Bernhard Ströbl
Hi Angelos,

I agree that some 2 to 5 tools should go into cadTools. What we have
until now:
- parallel move of polygon side (IMHO CAD-like function)
- split feature with selected feature from another theme (general
digitizing function)
- cut out from feature with selected polygon from another theme (general
digitizing function)
- continue editing an exisitng line (general digitizing function)
- save all layers being in editing mode in one go (general digitizing
function)
- fill hole(s) in polygon feature (general digitizing function)
- fill spaces between polygons (general digitizing function)
- avoid intersection when copying/pasting polygons (reported bug)
- split lines with points (IMHO fTools)
- prolong a line, i.e. move its endpoint in the direction of the last
segment (CAD-like function)

from a users point of view it would be nice to have everything related
to digitizing in one plugin on the other hand users probably do not
expect the functions I marked as "general digitizing" in a plugin called
cadTools.

Bernhard

Am 29.11.2012 19:48, schrieb Angelos Tzotsos:

> Hi Bernhard,
>
> I agree that some editing ideas are not strictly CAD but we have to
> think the end user and where the tools are expected to be found more
> easily. Also the number of new tools are important. For 2-5 new tools,
> extending cadTools would be more appropriate than a new plugin.
>
> Angelos
>
> On 11/29/2012 06:36 PM, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:
>> Angelos,
>>
>> would you see this functionality rather in cadTools or in a new plugin?
>>
>> Bernhard

>>> Hi Bernhard,
>>>
>>> Excellent timing, I was thinking about creating a new functionality that
>>> I need for a parcel digitization project.
>>> One tool I have in mind is parallel moving of a side of a polygon in
>>> order to achieve a specific area for the polygon (and at the same time
>>> maintain topological integrity with near polygons.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Angelos

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 7747 (20121129) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: more advanced editing tools

Giovanni Manghi-2
>> * the tool should be able to fill all holes and/or spaces (with
>> polygons) in one go
>
> that is similar but different from what I had in mind. I was thinking
> about the user clicking in a hole or space and just this one is filled.
> The algorithm however would be the same.

a plugin that works this way (just for holes, not for spaces) already
exist, but it does not asks for attributes, so right now it is not
that useful.

anyway an option to fill in one go all the holes/spaces would be very
appreciated by many.

cheers!

Re: more advanced editing tools

Piotr Pociask
Hi Giovanni,
You're probably talking about Ringer plugin. This was one of my first plugin and it was wrote for issue #3187.
Some time ago I have short e-mail talk with Carson Farmer to include this functionality into fTools. Because of that I don't move it to new repository.

What do you mean about asking for attributes? To copy them from parent polygon or popup form for each new polygon?

Regards,
Peter
Piotr Pociask
GIS Support sp. z o. o.
http://www.gis-support.pl/

On 30/11/2012, at 15:38 , Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

>> The simplest snapping approach I've seen is a keyboard shortcut (S), and then watch as the programme tries to snap to anything in sight (not so good if you have many layers).
>
> not neccessarily because you can define your snap layers and snapping should only occur with one of those (though if you choose to snap to segments there would be an abundance of potential snap points)
>>
>> But, I wonder, would it be possible to pop the snapping menu out into a panel (or similar) so that when you're furiously digitising it was easily accessible?
>
> I think this would smoothen the workflow. We could file a ticket for this. I my case I have many line and point layers to which I can snap but I have to scroll a lot to get to a certain polygon layer that I want to tick for "avoid intersections". Maybe we could have another column in the snapping options dialog with the geometry type in it so we could sort on that to have all polygon layers together?

As usual with QGIS, I think wouldn't that be cool and lo, it's already there.

It appears that you can leave the snapping dialogue open, go do some editing and come back change your snapping. So it is effectively already a panel.

Well, I failed to guess that, although the apply button should have been a hint. Just as well I had a decent rummage in the issues db before filing! #5152 linking to #660 was a good hint :)

-ramon.

Re: more advanced editing tools

Angelos Tzotsos

Yes it is a real dilemma.
I would like to hear more opinions on this...

Angelos

On 11/30/2012 11:23 AM, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

> Hi Angelos,
>
> I agree that some 2 to 5 tools should go into cadTools. What we have
> until now:
> - parallel move of polygon side (IMHO CAD-like function)
> - split feature with selected feature from another theme (general
> digitizing function)
> - cut out from feature with selected polygon from another theme
> (general digitizing function)
> - continue editing an exisitng line (general digitizing function)
> - save all layers being in editing mode in one go (general digitizing
> function)
> - fill hole(s) in polygon feature (general digitizing function)
> - fill spaces between polygons (general digitizing function)
> - avoid intersection when copying/pasting polygons (reported bug)
> - split lines with points (IMHO fTools)
> - prolong a line, i.e. move its endpoint in the direction of the last
> segment (CAD-like function)
>
> from a users point of view it would be nice to have everything related
> to digitizing in one plugin on the other hand users probably do not
> expect the functions I marked as "general digitizing" in a plugin
> called cadTools.
>
> Bernhard
>

> Am 29.11.2012 19:48, schrieb Angelos Tzotsos:
>> Hi Bernhard,
>>
>> I agree that some editing ideas are not strictly CAD but we have to
>> think the end user and where the tools are expected to be found more
>> easily. Also the number of new tools are important. For 2-5 new tools,
>> extending cadTools would be more appropriate than a new plugin.
>>
>> Angelos
>>
>> On 11/29/2012 06:36 PM, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:
>>> Angelos,
>>>
>>> would you see this functionality rather in cadTools or in a new plugin?
>>>
>>> Bernhard

> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus
> signature database 7747 (20121129) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory
National Technical University of Athens
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: more advanced editing tools

Giovanni Manghi-2
Hi!

> Hi Giovanni,
> You're probably talking about Ringer plugin.

yes

>  to include this
> functionality into fTools. Because of that I don't move it to new
> repository.

that would be nice.

> What do you mean about asking for attributes? To copy them from parent
> polygon or popup form for each new polygon?

the ideal is to have both options.

even better would be to have the "add ring" tool in the digitizing
toolbox to allow immediately fill the carved hole with a new polygon
and ask for attributes or get the attributes from the surrounding
polygon.

cheers!

Re: more advanced editing tools

Larry_S
Hi Bernhard,

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 2:23 AM, Bernhard Ströbl
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Angelos,
>
> I agree that some 2 to 5 tools should go into cadTools. What we have until
> now:
> - parallel move of polygon side (IMHO CAD-like function)
> - split feature with selected feature from another theme (general digitizing
> function)
> - cut out from feature with selected polygon from another theme (general
> digitizing function)
> - continue editing an exisitng line (general digitizing function)
> - save all layers being in editing mode in one go (general digitizing
> function)

This was added here [0], but only for layers that have unsaved edits.
Also, a red pencil legend layer icon was added to indicate when a
layer has unsaved edits. Let me know if you have any comments on or
suggestions for their implementation.

The 'Save All Edits' functionality will be added to the project close
notification, when layers are found to have unsaved edits (currently
just shows some red text that can be overlooked).

[0] https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/compare/45a933a4569b...293e49438e4b

Regards,

Larry

> - fill hole(s) in polygon feature (general digitizing function)
> - fill spaces between polygons (general digitizing function)
> - avoid intersection when copying/pasting polygons (reported bug)
> - split lines with points (IMHO fTools)
> - prolong a line, i.e. move its endpoint in the direction of the last
> segment (CAD-like function)
>
> from a users point of view it would be nice to have everything related to
> digitizing in one plugin on the other hand users probably do not expect the
> functions I marked as "general digitizing" in a plugin called cadTools.
>
> Bernhard
>

> Am 29.11.2012 19:48, schrieb Angelos Tzotsos:
>>
>> Hi Bernhard,
>>
>> I agree that some editing ideas are not strictly CAD but we have to
>> think the end user and where the tools are expected to be found more
>> easily. Also the number of new tools are important. For 2-5 new tools,
>> extending cadTools would be more appropriate than a new plugin.
>>
>> Angelos
>>
>> On 11/29/2012 06:36 PM, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:
>>>
>>> Angelos,
>>>
>>> would you see this functionality rather in cadTools or in a new plugin?
>>>
>>> Bernhard

> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature
> database 7747 (20121129) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Re: more advanced editing tools

Bernhard Ströbl
Hi Larry,

this is even better than what I had in mind! I like the red pencil
indicating the dirty status of the layer. Many thanks for that. However
I would change the tooltip to "Save edits in all layers" because as it
is now we have "Save all edits" vs. "Save edits" which might puzzle
users: Does the latter one not save all edits?

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 7755 (20121202) __________

http://www.eset.com

12