module dialogs in wxPython

Michael Barton
module dialogs in wxPython Daniel and Glynn,

What would it take to have a module come up in the wxPython version of the autogenerated dialog if GRASS_GUI is set to wx in .grassrc6? I think this discussion got started sometime back, but wasn't resolved.

I think we're close enough to begin distributing the new GUI as an alternate interface for people to use, beginning the transition to wxPython, that we could think about what is needed to do this.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: module dialogs in wxPython

Glynn Clements

Michael Barton wrote:

> What would it take to have a module come up in the wxPython version of the
> autogenerated dialog if GRASS_GUI is set to wx in .grassrc6? I think this
> discussion got started sometime back, but wasn't resolved.

It needs:

1. A Python equivalent of lib/gis/gui.tcl.

2. A Python equivalent of generate_tcl(), unless you make #1 accept
XML, in which case G_usage_xml() can be used.

3. Some changes to G_gui() to select the desired GUI based upon
$GRASS_GUI.

#1 is the main part; the rest is straightforward.

--
Glynn Clements <[hidden email]>

On 8/6/07 9:18 AM, "Glynn Clements" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> What would it take to have a module come up in the wxPython version of the
>> autogenerated dialog if GRASS_GUI is set to wx in .grassrc6? I think this
>> discussion got started sometime back, but wasn't resolved.
>
> It needs:
>
> 1. A Python equivalent of lib/gis/gui.tcl.

This exists. menform.py

> 2. A Python equivalent of generate_tcl(), unless you make #1 accept
> XML, in which case G_usage_xml() can be used.

menuform accepts and parses xml generated by
<command> --interface-description

Futzing around with this, I was able to get a wxPython last night dialog by
entering:

python $GISBASE/etc/wx/gui_modules/menuform.py <command>

> 3. Some changes to G_gui() to select the desired GUI based upon
> $GRASS_GUI.

So it seems to be down to #3

> #1 is the main part; the rest is straightforward.

Excellent