minor tweak to new website

Michael Barton

On the new download pages, I just noticed that the dev versions are referenced like this:

GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (unstable)

This implies that GRASS 7.9 is risky and perhaps minimally useable. The reality is that it works very well but has some new features that might be buggy or might change. While we want to indicate these differences from the current stable version, we don’t want to discourage people from trying it (and reporting any issues).

I suggest that we reference it as

GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (development)

Or

GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (preview)

Michael

______________________________

C. Michael Barton
Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Director, Network for Computational Modeling in Social & Ecological Sciences
Associate Director, School of Complex Adaptive Systems
Professor, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: http://shesc.asu.edu

https://complexity.asu.edu

http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

Re: minor tweak to new website

pvanbosgeo

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 5:49 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:

On the new download pages, I just noticed that the dev versions are referenced like this:

GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (unstable)

This implies that GRASS 7.9 is risky and perhaps minimally useable. The reality is that it works very well but has some new features that might be buggy or might change. While we want to indicate these differences from the current stable version, we don’t want to discourage people from trying it (and reporting any issues).

I suggest that we reference it as

GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (development)

Or

GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (preview)

+1 good point, it indeed works well, and is in my experience more stable than many other software tools I use(d).

Michael

______________________________

C. Michael Barton
Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Director, Network for Computational Modeling in Social & Ecological Sciences
Associate Director, School of Complex Adaptive Systems
Professor, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: http://shesc.asu.edu

https://complexity.asu.edu

http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

Re: minor tweak to new website

Helena Mitasova-7
I agree with Michael’s suggestion too, Helena

> On Jan 15, 2021, at 2:10 PM, Paulo van Breugel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 5:49 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On the new download pages, I just noticed that the dev versions are referenced like this:
>

> GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (unstable)
>

> This implies that GRASS 7.9 is risky and perhaps minimally useable. The reality is that it works very well but has some new features that might be buggy or might change. While we want to indicate these differences from the current stable version, we don’t want to discourage people from trying it (and reporting any issues).
>

> I suggest that we reference it as
>

> GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (development)
>

> Or
>

> GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (preview)
>

> +1 good point, it indeed works well, and is in my experience more stable than many other software tools I use(d).
>

> Michael
>
> ______________________________
>
> C. Michael Barton
> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Director, Network for Computational Modeling in Social & Ecological Sciences
> Associate Director, School of Complex Adaptive Systems
> Professor, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> Arizona State University
> Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
> USA
>
> voice: 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
> fax: 480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
> www: http://shesc.asu.edu,
>
> https://complexity.asu.edu,
>
> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
Associate director and faculty fellow at the Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

Re: minor tweak to new website

Moritz Lennert

Am 15. Januar 2021 17:35:43 MEZ schrieb Michael Barton <[hidden email]>:
>On the new download pages, I just noticed that the dev versions are referenced like this:
>
>GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (unstable)
>
>This implies that GRASS 7.9 is risky and perhaps minimally useable. The reality is that it works very well but has some new features that might be buggy or might change. While we want to indicate these differences from the current stable version, we don’t want to discourage people from trying it (and reporting any issues).
>
>I suggest that we reference it as
>
>GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (development)

+1

Moritz

Re: minor tweak to new website

Zoltan Szecsei
If I may:

Devel (development)  has wording redundancy.
What about....7.9 snapshot (under development)

Regards from a lurker that admires the effort you guys put in.
Zoltan

Sent from BlueMail
On 15 Jan 2021, at 21:21, Helena Mitasova <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

grass-dev mailing list

grass-dev mailing list

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
Associate director and faculty fellow at the Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

grass-dev mailing list

Re: minor tweak to new website

jmckenna
Administrator
+1

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: MapServer Consulting and Training Services

On 2021-01-15 3:14 p.m., Helena Mitasova wrote:

> I agree with Michael’s suggestion too, Helena
>
>> On Jan 15, 2021, at 2:10 PM, Paulo van Breugel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 5:49 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On the new download pages, I just noticed that the dev versions are referenced like this:
>>

>> GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (unstable)
>>

>> This implies that GRASS 7.9 is risky and perhaps minimally useable. The reality is that it works very well but has some new features that might be buggy or might change. While we want to indicate these differences from the current stable version, we don’t want to discourage people from trying it (and reporting any issues).
>>

>> I suggest that we reference it as
>>

>> GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (development)
>>

>> Or
>>

>> GRASS GIS 7.9 devel (preview)
>>

>> +1 good point, it indeed works well, and is in my experience more stable than many other software tools I use(d).
>>

>> Michael
>>
>> ______________________________
>>
>> C. Michael Barton
>> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
>> Director, Network for Computational Modeling in Social & Ecological Sciences
>> Associate Director, School of Complex Adaptive Systems
>> Professor, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>> Arizona State University
>> Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
>> USA
>>
>> voice: 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
>> fax: 480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
>> www: http://shesc.asu.edu,
>>
>> https://complexity.asu.edu,
>>
>> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

> Helena Mitasova
> Professor at the Department of Marine,
> Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
> Associate director and faculty fellow at the Center for Geospatial Analytics
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> [hidden email]
>
> "All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.”

Re: minor tweak to new website

Michael Barton

You are correct about the redundancy. I was trying to make the change as minor as possible. A somewhat better listing would be

GRASS GIS 7.8.5 (current stable)

GRASS GIS 7.6.1 (legacy) [change from “old”]

GRASS GIS 7.9 (preview) [“development” is OK, but “preview” sounds more inviting for use]

Michael

______________________________

C. Michael Barton
Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Director, Network for Computational Modeling in Social & Ecological Sciences
Associate Director, School of Complex Adaptive Systems
Professor, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: http://shesc.asu.edu

https://complexity.asu.edu

http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

Re: minor tweak to new website

Markus Neteler
On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 10:12 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are correct about the redundancy. I was trying to make the change as minor as possible. A somewhat better listing would be
>
> GRASS GIS 7.8.5 (current stable)
>
> GRASS GIS 7.6.1 (legacy) [change from “old”]
>
> GRASS GIS 7.9 (preview) [“development” is OK, but “preview” sounds more inviting for use]

I like the new wording.

Markus

Re: minor tweak to new website

wenzeslaus

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 4:12 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:

You are correct about the redundancy. I was trying to make the change as minor as possible. A somewhat better listing would be

GRASS GIS 7.8.5 (current stable)

GRASS GIS 7.6.1 (legacy) [change from “old”]

GRASS GIS 7.9 (preview) [“development” is OK, but “preview” sounds more inviting for use]

+1 for legacy and especially preview, I like that a lot!

I'm unsure about "current stable". It seems like one of the works might be enough. I thought stable should be enough, but PostgreSQL actually uses Current in documentation just be itself. Isn't there a noun "release" implied in each of those? Aren't all releases stable unless noted otherwise? Isn't then "stable" redundant? Anyway, I like the proposal even as is.

Re: minor tweak to new website

Michael Barton
I agree one word is better than two. Maybe just current.

Michael Barton
School of Human Evolution &Social Change
School of Complex Adaptive System Science
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

...Sent from my iPad

On Jan 15, 2021, at 9:35 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 4:12 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:

You are correct about the redundancy. I was trying to make the change as minor as possible. A somewhat better listing would be

GRASS GIS 7.8.5 (current stable)

GRASS GIS 7.6.1 (legacy) [change from “old”]

GRASS GIS 7.9 (preview) [“development” is OK, but “preview” sounds more inviting for use]

+1 for legacy and especially preview, I like that a lot!

I'm unsure about "current stable". It seems like one of the works might be enough. I thought stable should be enough, but PostgreSQL actually uses Current in documentation just be itself. Isn't there a noun "release" implied in each of those? Aren't all releases stable unless noted otherwise? Isn't then "stable" redundant? Anyway, I like the proposal even as is.

Re: minor tweak to new website

Zoltan Szecsei
Agreed, 'preview' is better.
Regards,
Zoltan

Sent from BlueMail
On 16 Jan 2021, at 02:17, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 10:12 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:

You are correct about the redundancy. I was trying to make the change as minor as possible. A somewhat better listing would be

GRASS GIS 7.8.5 (current stable)

GRASS GIS 7.6.1 (legacy) [change from “old”]

GRASS GIS 7.9 (preview) [“development” is OK, but “preview” sounds more inviting for use]

I like the new wording.

Markus

Re: minor tweak to new website

Veronica Andreo
Hi everyone,

I just created a PR with the proposed changes:

best,
Vero

El sáb., 16 ene. 2021 02:34, Zoltan <[hidden email]> escribió:
Agreed, 'preview' is better.
Regards,
Zoltan

Sent from BlueMail
On 16 Jan 2021, at 02:17, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 10:12 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:

You are correct about the redundancy. I was trying to make the change as minor as possible. A somewhat better listing would be

GRASS GIS 7.8.5 (current stable)

GRASS GIS 7.6.1 (legacy) [change from “old”]

GRASS GIS 7.9 (preview) [“development” is OK, but “preview” sounds more inviting for use]

I like the new wording.

Markus

Re: minor tweak to new website

Michael Barton