menu help

Michael Barton
menu help If anyone out there who is not working on the other code is feeling energetic and/or has a bit of time on their hands, we could use having the wxPython menu updated to match all the commands and structure now in the TclTk one.

We could also use an artistic type for icon design. I already need a couple that don’t yet exist (for overlay layers and map display decorations).

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: [GRASS-dev] menu help

Daniel Calvelo
On 3/29/07, Hamish <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Michael Barton wrote:
> >
> > If anyone out there who is not working on the other code is feeling
> > energetic and/or has a bit of time on their hands, we could use having
> > the wxPython menu updated to match all the commands and structure now
> > in the TclTk one.
>
> could a script do it?

For the most part, I think so. But in the tcl version (and also in the
python counterpart) there are some commands embedded in the
definitions. Those must be hand-tuned to each back-end.

I suggest porting the menu structure to JSON (in preference of XML)
with special markers for these actions, and use the same source for
building both tcl and python guis.  That would also allow for
different menu combinations switchable at run-time depending on user
preferences. (AFAICT wxGRASS does present a different interface
according to the "user level" in which it is started.)

I could do the python part, but I'm practically illiterate in tcl.

> automation is good.

Absolutely. Just as duplication is bad... in code anyway.

Daniel.

--
-- Daniel Calvelo Aros

Re: Re: [GRASS-dev] menu help

Jachym Cepicky
what about moving the GUI to XML ? this would make it possible to use
one file in many tools..

2007/3/30, Daniel Calvelo <[hidden email]>:

> On 3/29/07, Hamish <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Michael Barton wrote:
> > >
> > > If anyone out there who is not working on the other code is feeling
> > > energetic and/or has a bit of time on their hands, we could use having
> > > the wxPython menu updated to match all the commands and structure now
> > > in the TclTk one.
> >
> > could a script do it?
>
> For the most part, I think so. But in the tcl version (and also in the
> python counterpart) there are some commands embedded in the
> definitions. Those must be hand-tuned to each back-end.
>
> I suggest porting the menu structure to JSON (in preference of XML)
> with special markers for these actions, and use the same source for
> building both tcl and python guis.  That would also allow for
> different menu combinations switchable at run-time depending on user
> preferences. (AFAICT wxGRASS does present a different interface
> according to the "user level" in which it is started.)
>
> I could do the python part, but I'm practically illiterate in tcl.
>
> > automation is good.
>
> Absolutely. Just as duplication is bad... in code anyway.
>
> Daniel.
>
> --
> -- Daniel Calvelo Aros

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

Re: Re: [GRASS-dev] menu help

Jachym Cepicky
2007/3/30, Jachym Cepicky <[hidden email]>:
> what about moving the GUI to XML ? this would make it possible to use
> one file in many tools..

sorry, not the "GUI", but "menus" or all common conf. parts in general

> 2007/3/30, Daniel Calvelo <[hidden email]>:

> > > could a script do it?
> >
> > For the most part, I think so. But in the tcl version (and also in the
> > python counterpart) there are some commands embedded in the
> > definitions. Those must be hand-tuned to each back-end.
> >
> > I suggest porting the menu structure to JSON (in preference of XML)
> > with special markers for these actions, and use the same source for
> > building both tcl and python guis.  That would also allow for
> > different menu combinations switchable at run-time depending on user
> > preferences. (AFAICT wxGRASS does present a different interface
> > according to the "user level" in which it is started.)
> >
> > I could do the python part, but I'm practically illiterate in tcl.
> >
> > > automation is good.
> >
> > Absolutely. Just as duplication is bad... in code anyway.
> >
> > Daniel.
> >
> > --
> > -- Daniel Calvelo Aros

> Jachym Cepicky
> e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
> GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

Re: Re: [GRASS-dev] menu help

Michael Barton
Probably a good idea. But I don't know how to parse this in TclTk--and don't
know it that well in wxPython either.

Michael

On 3/30/07 2:30 AM, "Jachym Cepicky" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2007/3/30, Jachym Cepicky <[hidden email]>:
>> what about moving the GUI to XML ? this would make it possible to use
>> one file in many tools..
>
> sorry, not the "GUI", but "menus" or all common conf. parts in general

>>> For the most part, I think so. But in the tcl version (and also in the
>>> python counterpart) there are some commands embedded in the
>>> definitions. Those must be hand-tuned to each back-end.
>>>
>>> I suggest porting the menu structure to JSON (in preference of XML)
>>> with special markers for these actions, and use the same source for
>>> building both tcl and python guis.  That would also allow for
>>> different menu combinations switchable at run-time depending on user
>>> preferences. (AFAICT wxGRASS does present a different interface
>>> according to the "user level" in which it is started.)
>>>
>>> I could do the python part, but I'm practically illiterate in tcl.

>>> Absolutely. Just as duplication is bad... in code anyway.
>>>
>>> Daniel.
>>>
>>> --
>>> -- Daniel Calvelo Aros

>> --
>> Jachym Cepicky
>> e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
>> GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: Re: [GRASS-dev] menu help

Jachym Cepicky
In python this is no big problem.

I have no clue about tcl..

maybe we could just reuse the "python" syntax: use simple textfile
with indentation

2007/3/30, Michael Barton <[hidden email]>:

> Probably a good idea. But I don't know how to parse this in TclTk--and don't
> know it that well in wxPython either.
>
> Michael
>

> On 3/30/07 2:30 AM, "Jachym Cepicky" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 2007/3/30, Jachym Cepicky <[hidden email]>:
> >> what about moving the GUI to XML ? this would make it possible to use
> >> one file in many tools..
> >
> > sorry, not the "GUI", but "menus" or all common conf. parts in general

> >> --
> >> Jachym Cepicky
> >> e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
> >> GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

Re: Re: [GRASS-dev] menu help

Michael Barton
Well,

I'm hoping that the TclTk menus will remain reasonably stable now. It's not
hard to make a manual tweak now and then if necessary.

The best thing for the long run would be work work with the keyword section
of the interface description that Markus set up and arrange the keys so that
they could build a menu automatically. Then we wouldn't have to manually
maintain the hundreds of commands.

Michael

On 3/30/07 8:15 AM, "Jachym Cepicky" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In python this is no big problem.
>
> I have no clue about tcl..
>

> maybe we could just reuse the "python" syntax: use simple textfile
> with indentation

> 2007/3/30, Michael Barton <[hidden email]>:
>> Probably a good idea. But I don't know how to parse this in TclTk--and don't
>> know it that well in wxPython either.
>>
>> Michael

>>> sorry, not the "GUI", but "menus" or all common conf. parts in general

>> Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
>> School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
>> Arizona State University
>>
>> phone: 480-965-6213
>> fax: 480-965-7671
>> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: [GRASS-dev] menu help

Michael Barton
Daniel,

I can help with the TclTk part. But I need to know what to do.

I am not familiar with JSON.

Michael