membership renewals

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Bruce and Arnulf,

Apparently Gérald Fenoy was recently removed from the membership, but he
has been very active at the TC meetings in terms of WPS evolution for
the past 2 years.  I think this validates his ability to renew the OGC
membership, correct?  He may have missed Barabara's renewal emails
however.  Can Gérald contact Barabara directly now to renew the membership?

In a bigger sense, this example may require us to examine how we track
who is using the memberships (because sending an email to this Standards
list isn't always the best example of using the membership - I know in
my own case through the years, the membership helped me enter & follow
discussions elsewhere on OGC+OSGeo, which is very important).

Another question: maybe this was also the case for Dimitris' membership?
  I am not sure though.  Difficult to track.  Maybe there are ideas on
how to manage this.

Thanks,

(I am not sure if the nomination for adding me into the Selection
Committee finalized)

-jeff

Re: membership renewals

Arnulf Christl-3
Jeff,

just to clarify, Gérald was not "removed" from OGC membership. The
underlying assumption somewhat bothers me. He can also reapply any time,
just like anybody else.

Most OSGeo members fail to react to OGC renewal requests and most also
failed to produce a single report throughout the years (including
yourself) although we have repeatedly asked for them.

Admittedly I have grown somewhat tired of chasing folks to produce some
kind of proof that they are actually using the OGC Individual Membership
slots for something useful (and then get berated if the consequence is
that their slot is not automagically prolonged). The OSGeo community
should know what their members are doing with their individual OGC
membership slots. It could all be so simple. In keeping with the popular
German saying "Do good (things) and talk about it". Hopefully you can
implement a better mechanism.

Regarding your addition to the "Selection Committee"; As I said before,
the "selection" process so far has been down-to-earth pragmatic: Accept
all. We never had an issue because there were always enough open slots.
If change is seen to be needed, please go ahead.

Process: Initially Michael Gerlek and myself were appointed by the
board. I have then accepted Michael's resignation and later added Bruce
Bannerman who had indicated interest (thanks, Bruce) and was happy to
help. So I guess that Bruce should acknowledges your addition to this
list and then the Board (copied) should formally confirm my resignation
and accept your addition - or come up with a different process altogether.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Arnulf

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OGC_Membership#Selection_Committee

Am 16.10.2017 um 16:42 schrieb Jeff McKenna:

> Hi Bruce and Arnulf,
>
> Apparently Gérald Fenoy was recently removed from the membership, but
> he has been very active at the TC meetings in terms of WPS evolution
> for the past 2 years.  I think this validates his ability to renew the
> OGC membership, correct?  He may have missed Barabara's renewal emails
> however.  Can Gérald contact Barabara directly now to renew the
> membership?
>
> In a bigger sense, this example may require us to examine how we track
> who is using the memberships (because sending an email to this
> Standards list isn't always the best example of using the membership -
> I know in my own case through the years, the membership helped me
> enter & follow discussions elsewhere on OGC+OSGeo, which is very
> important).
>
> Another question: maybe this was also the case for Dimitris'
> membership?  I am not sure though.  Difficult to track.  Maybe there
> are ideas on how to manage this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> (I am not sure if the nomination for adding me into the Selection
> Committee finalized)
>
> -jeff

http://metaspatial.net
Spatially enabling your business.

Re: membership renewals

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Arnulf,

Thanks for the clarification.  I'll relay this message to the
ZOO-Project PSC.  Regarding the process, I don't see the need for your
resignation, you seem to do great work here.  At the time I was offering
Bruce help, but now it seems you are back in action, so whatever you
think is best is good for me.  -jeff

PS. the ZOO-Project thread
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/zoo-psc/2017-October/000717.html

On 2017-10-16 1:13 PM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> [...]
>> OGC membership, correct?  He may have missed Barabara's renewal emails
>> however.  Can Gérald contact Barabara directly now to renew the
>> membership?
>>
>> In a bigger sense, this example may require us to examine how we track
>> who is using the memberships (because sending an email to this
>> Standards list isn't always the best example of using the membership -
>> I know in my own case through the years, the membership helped me
>> enter & follow discussions elsewhere on OGC+OSGeo, which is very
>> important).
>>
>> Another question: maybe this was also the case for Dimitris'
>> membership?  I am not sure though.  Difficult to track.  Maybe there
>> are ideas on how to manage this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> (I am not sure if the nomination for adding me into the Selection

Re: membership renewals

Dimitris Kotzinos-3
Hi Arnulf and Jeff,

firstly, thanks Jeff for the concern, highly appreciated.
For me, the decision not to renew my membership is acceptable, I never
saw myself as a "permanent" OSGEO representative to OGC. Also, I do not
feel "removed". :-)
I will not go into who does what and how much, etc. Of course, the
community should be updated and I am sure, as always, that more could
have been done from my part.

I see the role of someone coming from OSGEO to OGC as mainly a way of
ensuring the openness in forthcoming standards (in his/her area of
expertise) and update the community when deemed important.
I think that people who play this role should change and in my opinion
this is more important for the community. So I am happy that the OGC
membership is becoming popular and I think that more people should be
given the chance to offer their services. So it is fine with me not to
continue and I will not reapply now.

But if these seats are becoming popular, then I feel that we need some
rules to establish on who gets the membership and for how long. It is
true that standards work can easily extend the one year time span. And
people should know how long they have in order to engage or not. Also we
need to have a time limit, nobody should stay there for more than X
years and define a set of conflicts besides the existing ones, etc.

I hope this sums my position on the matter and I am sure that the
OSGEO-OGC collaboration will continue successfully.

Also, thanks again to Arnulf for managing the process for all these years.

Best regards to all,
Dimitris

Re: membership renewals

Fenoy Gerald
Dear Arnulf,
I have to apologize for all the noise I have made about this issue.

My reaction is reflecting the importance that this slot is for me and most of all for the ZOO-Project.

I do agree with what you have said Arnulf, you have done and do a great job in dealing with the slot distribution and as it become more popular, I also agree that some rules should be put in place. I did not do my duties so, it is my fault and not somebody else. I should not wait for you to chase me as you did in the past for having a report posted on the wiki.

I am sorry for not having updated the community with the work we are handling in the WPS-2.0 SWG, I should have communicated more often about how do I use the slot.

Sorry again Arnulf, there was nothing at all against you personally.

Thanks again for your great work and I will try to reapply soon.

Best regards,

Gérald Fenoy
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Djay

> [...]
>> OGC membership, correct?  He may have missed Barabara's renewal emails
>> however.  Can Gérald contact Barabara directly now to renew the
>> membership?
>>
>> In a bigger sense, this example may require us to examine how we track
>> who is using the memberships (because sending an email to this
>> Standards list isn't always the best example of using the membership -
>> I know in my own case through the years, the membership helped me
>> enter & follow discussions elsewhere on OGC+OSGeo, which is very
>> important).
>>
>> Another question: maybe this was also the case for Dimitris'
>> membership?  I am not sure though.  Difficult to track.  Maybe there
>> are ideas on how to manage this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> (I am not sure if the nomination for adding me into the Selection

Bruce Bannerman-3
Hi Gerald, Dimitris and all,

With the increasing demand for these valuable OGC Individual Memberships, it was not just Arnulf who decided to pause on the use of expired membership slots. I was also involved. Sorry.

I’d like to see us find a way to get value for our community, for OGC and for individual members who take up the membership slots.

I have noted the work that you have been doing within the OGC WPS SWG.  We need to find a way for you and others within OSGeo to publicise our efforts.

So let’s agree on how we want to move forward with the OSGeo memberships.

If we can demonstrate real value, then that may give us grounds to revisit the memberships available.

I started a request for input into our processes at [1], but have yet to receive any input from our community.

Once we agree on how we want to work and how we want to select suitable people for any vacant positions then we can put out an expression of interest and select appropriate people.

So there will be a good opportunity for you to demonstrate the value of your work within OGC and perhaps be able to continue with an Individual Membership position.

I’ll wait for another week for input into the process that we currently use, and want to use in the future. Please get your responses in by the 24th October 2017.

Kind regards,

Bruce

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/standards/2017-September/001055.html

> [...]
>>> OGC membership, correct?  He may have missed Barabara's renewal emails
>>> however.  Can Gérald contact Barabara directly now to renew the
>>> membership?
>>>
>>> In a bigger sense, this example may require us to examine how we track
>>> who is using the memberships (because sending an email to this
>>> Standards list isn't always the best example of using the membership -
>>> I know in my own case through the years, the membership helped me
>>> enter & follow discussions elsewhere on OGC+OSGeo, which is very
>>> important).
>>>
>>> Another question: maybe this was also the case for Dimitris'
>>> membership?  I am not sure though.  Difficult to track.  Maybe there
>>> are ideas on how to manage this.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> (I am not sure if the nomination for adding me into the Selection

Hi Jeff,

I’m happy to have you on board on the Standards Committee. Thank you for your offer to help.

We have a good start with the current process at [1], but we may wish to make changes.

Once we have sorted out the process that we want to use from now on, I’m happy for both of us to spill our positions and open the committee up for others to apply for and run if that is what the community desires.

Kind regards,

Bruce

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OGC_Membership

> On 17 Oct 2017, at 3:13 am, Arnulf Christl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Regarding your addition to the "Selection Committee"; As I said before,
> the "selection" process so far has been down-to-earth pragmatic: Accept
> all. We never had an issue because there were always enough open slots.
> If change is seen to be needed, please go ahead.

Re: membership renewals

dirk frigne-5

Dimitris,

I fully agree with the role you describe:

"I see the role of someone coming from OSGEO to OGC as mainly a way of
ensuring the openness in forthcoming standards (in his/her area of
expertise) and update the community when deemed important."
And I agree reporting plays an important role in this.

I am sure we will evolve to a better use of these seats, so it are no "individuals" who are occupying them, but OSGeo as an organisation.
And of course, the "individuals" will have to do the real work to contribute to the standards, in the domain they are best placed to help.

I also want to express my thanks to the standards committee, for the work done. True open standards are very valuable for OSGeo!

Dirk

On 16-10-17 23:43, Dimitris Kotzinos wrote:
[...]

Met vriendelijke groeten
Dirk

ir Dirk Frigne
founder DFC Software Engineering