marketing brochure

jody.garnett
I have been resisting taking on any more activities until my term as Director was up. With today's announcement I have some more capacity :)

Astrid you mentioned wanted to update the osgeo brochure last year, and we did not have any members available with access to InDesign. The economics of using scribus did not work out for us (when we had access to a graphic designer it was better to use a WYIWYG tool to take advantage of their training).

I would be willing to do the update, if the marketing committee was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design, however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.

a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?

Another good approach is:

c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign and would be willing to do the work.

Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing budget to work with.

aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve, but I think I can safely update these now.
--
Jody Garnett

Re: marketing brochure

jody.garnett
Brian I had a terrible couple of weeks before foss4g boston using scribus for the one page handouts. The teams produces results that were visually inconsistent and their work had to be redone so that all the output had the logos and so on in a consistent fashion.

When you say Scribus get's good reviews ... can I ask from where? It certainly works but it honestly reminded me of desktop publishing solutions on an an Amiga 4000.

We can go through some old email where Antia Graser worked really hard evaluating options and getting scribus to work.  We also had our graphics designer give it a go but it was too slow/frustrating given the timeframe.

The other option that folks discussed in that thread was InkScape, however it was producing SVG output that could not be used in the browsers due to a difference in SVG standard support. Sadly at the time it was also producing PDF output inconsistently.
--
Jody Garnett

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 16:07, Brian M Hamlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello Jody,

great that you have more time now and great that you would like to work
on the flyer/brochure.

It would make sense to update the brochure and make ist sustainable (do
not list sponsors) so we can print it and us that version for quite
while.
Although I would prefer a lighter weight version of the OSGeo brochure.

It also is great if you can update some of the one-page flyer too.

It looked like with some files scribus did not work, so I am fine if you
do it with inDesign. Maybe you leave the scribus files that work as they
are.

You could choose the license that you think make sense.

Astrid

Am 02.12.2019 18:25 schrieb Jody Garnett:

> [...]
>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

adam steer-2
Hi all

Looks like inDesign may need to be part of the process, scribus cannot import the .indd files in marketing collateral [1], and the PDFs in print [2] don’t open with fonts as editable fonts (although the text can be replaced easily enough).

Both Scribus and Inkscape have moved a long way since 2017. For my own two cents I find inDesign and illustrator at least as painful to use, and you have to then pay for them also ;) - so I haven’t used them in a very long time.

Cheers,

Adam

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 04:35, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

Nice, I am not against Scribus and would you personally be willing to try again.

 The last challenge is harder, I would like us as volunteers to be able to hire a graphics designer to get stuff done faster for regional events and projects.

Personally I think the website is most important, and printing things out is hopefully going away. But it does make an impression, and that impression helps break down “open source is not professional” hesitation allowing us to reach more folks.

I am aware how silly it is we need to work so hard to give software away. Still it makes people so happy it is worth a bit of our time.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:45 AM adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

My preference would be:

- use some indesign expertise (either buy a license and let Jody go for it or hire someone) to unpack .indd files to something else (EPS? SVG? preferences?) which is more transportable, even if that means losing some adobe-specific pizzaz in the design process

- deploy some budget to help with whatever updates / refreshes are needed, providing any additional guidance on design principles we require to incorporate Nicolas’ icon set wherever we should do so, with the understanding that the end result should be useful across the Inkscape/Scribus *and* Adobe platforms (woohoo! design interoperability! can it be done? I hope so!)

…with a view to:
- deploying Jody’s enthusiasm, experience and wisdom - even if it is to completely disagree with my thoughts above :)
- making it as easy as possible for future us to pick up and carry on later.

…and having said that, I’ll help Jody any way I can without needing an Adobe suite licence.

Regards,

Adam

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 13:55, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

I should also point out we have never merged in the work from Nicolas. It is sitting in a PR:
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pulls (waiting for review comments to be addressed).

I should also point out that my enthusiasm is for seeing things finished (and have no personal stake in doing it myself). Indeed I am leaning towards paying getinteractive a time and materials contract for next year (say 40 hours) to use as needed for graphic design work.

I also think we should put a RFP to our community to provide map integration for members/local chapters/GeoForAll (right now we hide our maps in a filter drop down). Absolutely nobody has volunteered on this one ...

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 4:24 AM adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

Harrison Grundy
I've got a spare Creative Cloud license floating around that we'd be happy to donate to this for a few months, let me know if that would be useful.

--- Harrison

On 3 December 2019 12:37:32 PM SGT, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

nicolas bozon
Thanks Harisson,
That would probably help us to get our brochure in a more open and usable format, yes please !
Would you be able to convert this file (https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/collateral/brochure/001-EU-size) to SVG or PDF please ?
Or provide me with the CC account credentials, and i'll be happy to proceed, and finally get rid of these unfriendly indd files !

Thanks in advance
Best,

Nick

Le mar. 3 déc. 2019 à 06:17, Harrison Grundy <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> [...]

>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

I am a bit frustrated here, but perhaps I am missing something, or not being clear enough.  I want to keep our marketing materials in a format where we can tag in professional design help when needed.
--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 06:35, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

Let's try the conversion and we can do an updated round of Inkscape / scribus / indesign. I think the one-page documents should be something we can maintain with the project teams, the other materials (multi-page Boucher, banners, etc...) may need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis?
--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 07:01, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

Hey Jody, all

Allright I am now feeling super naive and less than helpful. Exporting from .indd to EPS will not really achieve much, since inDesign won’t open EPS files [1], although it looks like Scribus will (maybe losing font editing as fonts) [2] - so design interoperability is a failure here.

I think this problem *only* applies to the brochure [3], since all of the other print materials are single-sheet and can safely (IMO) be handed around as svg files for use in inkscape and illustrator.

…for the brochure.. hmm. yes having a format commonly used in design shops is awesome, and yes being able to do things using open tooling is also awesome - unfortunately both can't happen

The best approach seems to be keeping the brochure in .indd format for now. Sorry for making storms in teacups

Adam

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 17:10, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

If it would help, I can ask the communication designers I work with how they would go about solving this... (wanting to edit in both InDesign and OSS tools)

On 4 December 2019 10:33:38 AM SGT, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> was able to provide an InDesign license. In the past I purchased
>>> proprietary fonts when they were mandated by our logo design,
>>> however InDesign is a more expensive commitment.
>>>
>>> a) InDesign US$239.88/yr
>>> b) InDesign US$31.49/mo, only subscribe when needed?
>>>
>>> Another good approach is:
>>>
>>> c) Contact GetInteractive and set up a time and materials contract
>>>
>>> d) Ask on our mailing list if anyone else has access to InDesign
>>> and would be willing to do the work.
>>>
>>> Please reply with your preference, and any discussion. I feel we
>>> should make a motion this calendar year while we have marketing
>>> budget to work with.
>>>
>>> aside: I was able to make use of scribus for some of our one page
>>> handouts, porting content from a number of projects for a
>>> consistent appearance. It was a very frustrating learning curve,
>>> but I think I can safely update these now.

That would be great, experience we need more :)